Subject Source: Form Terms For Archival And Manuscript Control
Found in 32 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract: The Central Railroad Company of New Jersey operated a main line between New York and Scranton with numerous branches within the state of New Jersey. It was one of the more important anthracite-carrying railroads, with important commuter and terminal facilities in the New York area. The collection primarily consists a set of incomplete minutes of parent, predecessor, and subsidiary companies.
Abstract: The Christiana Bank & Trust Company formed in 1992 to conduct a banking and trust business for Greenville, Delaware, and nearby communities in New Castle County, Delaware, and Chester County, Pennsylvania. The records include initial business and organizational plans, including stock offerings; annual reports; shareholder and directors lists; board minutes; quarterly financial reports, and documents covering the merger of the bank with National Penn Bancshares, Inc.
Abstract: The Delaware and Bound Brook Railroad Company was incorporated in 1874, for the purpose of forming a second railroad route between the cities of New York and Philadelphia. Their records consist primarily of basic corporate documents such as minutes, account books, annual reports to the I.C.C., and agreements.
Abstract: The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad was one of the largest and most prosperous anthracite mining and transporting companies in Pennsylvania.Their records consist of minutes of the DL&W and its two direct predecessors.
Abstract: The Directors of Industrial Research (D.I.R.) is a forum for the exchange of ideas and information on topics of mutual interest for directors of America's foremost industrial research laboratories, formed in 1923. The records of the Directors of Industrial Research are an important collection, primarily because of their documentation of the development of industrial research. These records provide ample opportunity for the study of a powerful elite of corporate researchers, and a close-up view of certain aspects of the relationship between science and big business in the twentieth century.
Abstract: DuPont Company Repauno Works manufactured high-explosive dynamite. The company began as the Repauno Chemical Company on June 7, 1880, by Lammot du Pont (1831-1884), a chemist working for the family business, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, a chemical company that originally produced gunpowder. In 1980, the Repauno Works celebrated its centennial anniversary. This small collection contains materials generated in the process of organizing the centennial celebration of the Repauno Works.
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives > Edison Electric Institute Transmission and Distributing Committee minutes
Abstract: The Edison Electric Institute is the trade association of the electric utility industry. The minutes of the Institute's Transmission and Distributing Committee (1935, 1941-1970) include both business transactions of the committee and professional papers of representatives of member utility companies on a variety of subjects related to the transmission and distribution of electricty.
Abstract: E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company is a chemical company more commonly referred to as the DuPont Company, established in 1802. The Legal Department was established as a staff department in 1905. The records of the Legal Department include copies of the 1899 dissolution agreement and the 1902 incorporation correspondence. The collection is organized into seven series: Administrative papers; Litigation; Vital records; Stockholder files; Historical files; Patent Board files; and Reports to the Executive Committee.
Abstract: The E. I du Pont de Nemours & Company minute books document an important era in the history of the company from just before the turn of the twentieth century through the 1930s. The DuPont Company in this time went through many changes in structure under the leadership of cousins T. Coleman du Pont, Alfred I. du Pont, and Pierre S. du Pont.
Abstract: Elva M. Chandler (1900-1990) was an active clubwoman, active in many women's professional, church, and political organizations and president of the local Business and Professional Women's Club. She was best known for her involvement in the Delaware Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs (BPWC) and belonged to the Christina branch. Chandler's papers document her role in business and professional women's organizations and the changing role of women in business life from the 1950s to the 1970s.
Dates: 1917-1988; Majority of material found within 1965-1972
Abstract: The rise and fall of Enron Corp., a natural gas utility transformed into the world’s largest energy trader, followed a pattern of boom and bust familiar in the history of American business. The records in this collection belonged to Herbert “Pug” Winokur, a member of Enron’s board of directors and chair of its finance committee. He used these records to prepare for depositions associated with the Enron bankruptcy. This collection contains meeting minutes, supporting materials and other documents relating to the Department of Justice investigation into the Enron Corp. from 1997 to 2002.
Abstract: The Granite Manufacturing Company of Maryland was a cotton factory on the Patapsco River. This collection contains a minute book of the company that covers 1844 to 1861.
Abstract: Henry Bower Chemical Manufacturing Company was a chemical manufacturing company that primarily produced ammonia. The company was formed in 1906 by the merger of three existing companies. These records include account books, production records, sales records, and inventories.
Abstract: John Joseph Beer (1927-) was a professor of the history of science and chemistry at the University of Delaware until his retirement in 1992. Beer played a major role in developing the university’s program in the history of technology and the Hagley Fellowship Program. The bulk of the papers consists of correspondence, notes, research materials, and drafts for a projected book or article on "Russia iron," a highly finished, wear-resistant iron produced in Russia during the nineteenth century.
Dates: 1835-1991; Majority of material found within 1961-1991
Abstract: John McShain (1898-1989) was a Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.,-based building contractor, whose firm, John McShain, Inc., was by 1950 the fiftieth largest construction firm in the United States, with contracts in excess of $100,000,000. John McShain's personal and business papers document his business career, the construction industry, and his investments in hotels, car dealerships, parking garages, transit lines, and racehorses.
Abstract: The Lehigh Valley Railroad Company was one of the major anthracite railroads and formed a secondary trunk line between Jersey City, New Jersey and Buffalo, New York. Their records consist of minute books, corporate histories, voluntary reorganization plans, and an illustrated brochure on Claremont Terminal.
Abstract: The Lukens Steel Company was a medium-sized, non-integrated steel company and one of the top three producers of steel plates in the United States. Lukens operated continuously at its Coatesville, Pennsylvania, site since 1810 and was one of the few successful survivors of the many nineteenth-century iron works that once dotted southeastern Pennsylvania. This collection of Lukens Steel Company records consists of corporate records, mostly from the Secretary's Office. The records are comprised of seven series: Shareholders' meeting agendas; Stockholder lists; Proxies for annual meetings; Board and committee meeting agendas; Financial statements; Secretary's correspondence; and Counsel's correspondence.
Dates: 1874-1972; Majority of material found within 1933-1969
Abstract: The Maxim Silencer Company was the first company to manufacture gun silencers for commercial use. The company was founded in 1908 as the Maxim Silent Firearms Company by Hiram Percy Maxim (1869-1936) in Hartford, Connecticut. In 1912, Maxim incorporated his business as the Maxim Silencer Company. Maxim was an engineer and inventor. The records of the Maxim Silencer Company consist of directors' minute books from October 18, 1912, to October 19, 1956. There are a small payroll book showing payments; newsclippings and magazine articles on the company's history; issues of the company magazine from the World War II years; and good selection of the company's trade catalogs, both for the firearms silencers and snowplows and snow blowers.
Abstract: The Millerstown Iron Company, organized in 1873, constructed the Macungie Furnace in Macungie, Pennsylvania, and was a small anthracite iron company. The minute book records the activities of the directors of the company, primarily concerning company finances and the efforts to raise money by the sale of bonds.
Scope and Content: Consists of minute books from predecessor and early subsidiary companies of Delaware Coach Co. Most are electric streetcar companies in Wilmington and Chester, Pa., that later merged with the Wilmington & Philadelphia Traction Company in 1915. These minute books give insight to the consolidation, merger, and dissolution of several competing street railway companies. Of special note are the minute books of the Wilmington and Great Valley Turnpike Company and the Wilmington and Christiana Turnpike Road, both private turnpike companies that formed before and during the War of 1812 and remained a subsidiary of Delaware Electric Power Co. until the mid-1930s. Early bus lines absorbed by Wilmington & Philadelphia Traction subsidiaries in the mid-1920s are also represented.
Abstract : The National Industrial Conference Board, later renamed The Conference Board, formed in 1916 as a response by the business community to continued labor unrest and growing public criticism. Their records are an important source for understanding the business community's response to most political and socioeconomic issues.
Abstract: North Pennsylvania Railroad was a railroad company which served the Pennsylvania counties of Philadelphia, Montgomery, Bucks, and Northampton. It was incorporated as the Philadelphia, Easton and Water-Gap Railroad Company on April 6, 1852, and renamed the North Pennsylvania Railroad Company on October 3, 1853. Their records consist of corporate records such as minute books, annual reports, account books and statements.
Abstract: Philadelphia Bookstore Company was a wholesale and retail bookseller incorporated in 1902 in New Jeresey. The store was located on the 1000 block of Race Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This item is one volume of meeting minutes dating from 1902 to 1903. By-laws are included.
Abstract: The Philadelphia Electric Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania on October 31, 1929, as a merger of The Philadelphia Electric Company (incorporated in Pa. on October 27, 1902), the Philadelphia Suburban-Counties Gas & Electric Company, and three other small utility companies. It is the primary gas and electric company for Philadelphia, its surrounding counties and Cecil and Harford Counties in northeastern Maryland. Their records consist of microfilm copies of the minute books of about 150 of the predecessor companies of the Philadelphia Electric Company.
Dates: 1836-1953; Majority of material found within 1890-1915
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives > Purchasing Management Association of Central Pennsylvania minutes and correspondence
Abstract: The Purchasing Management Association of Central Pennsylvania was a regional chapter of the national trade organization the Institute for Supply Management from 1959 until 2016. The mission and vision of the regional chapter was to educate, develop, and advance the purchasing and supply management profession within Central Pennsylvania. This collection consists of thirty-two bound volumes of original documents from the Purchasing Management Association of Central Pennsylvania, primarily meeting minutes and correspondence between 1959 and 2004.
Abstract: The Pusey & Jones Corporation were shipbuilders, founders, and machinists of Wilmington, Delaware, which later expanded into papermaking machinery manufacturing. This collection contains a minute book and account book of the Trustees of the Pusey & Jones Corporation employees' retirement plan trust fund. It also includes other material kept by Warren D. Walker (1894-1969), one of the last executives for the company.
Dates: 1938-1968; Majority of material found within 1948-1960
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives > Radio Corporation of America, RCA Victor Division secretary's records
Abstract: For over fifty years the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) was one of the country's leading manufacturers and vendors of radios, phonographs, televisions, and a wide array of consumer and military electronics products. This collection contains the records from the Secretary's Office of the Victor Talking Machine Company and its successors RCA Victor Company, Inc., and Radio Corporation of America's RCA Victor Division. They consist of minutes of the Executive and Management Committees, an internal annual report and two contract files for supplying sound equipment to movie studios.
Abstract: The Reading Stove Works manufactured stoves, furnaces, and heaters. The collection includes Board of Directors minutes and sales and financial statements document the history of the company.
Abstract: Established in 1915, the Rotary Club of Wilmington was dedicated to community service, and one of its most important functions was to provide educational support. Their records consist primarily of minutes, newsletters, and documentation on the club's student loan and scholarship programs.
Abstract: The Wilmington Trapshooting Association was organized in November 1916 with William Highfield (1884-1943) as President, C. Thorpe Martin (1880-1955) as Vice President, E.R. Galvin (dates unknown) as Secretary. The records include minutes, financial ledgers, handbooks, rulebooks, and membership lists.
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives > Women's Organization for National Prohibition Reform (WONPR), Pennsylvania Division records
Abstract: The Women's Organization for National Prohibition Reform (WONPR) National Committee investigated the increase in drunkenness and effect of Prohibition, operated a publicity campaign, created a speakers' bureau, spoke at legislative hearings, and enrolled members. This collection of the Pennsylvania division records consists of the Executive Committee minutes, administrative files, financial records, and membership records.
Abstract: The Wyomissing Development Company was a housing development firm for the employees of a manufacturer of knitting machinery, the Textile Machine Works. Both companies were incorporated by Henry Janssen (1866-1948) and Ferdinand Thun (1866-1948). The collection contains two minute books which document the organization of the Wyomissing Development Company, the acquisition of land for the company town and other public facilities including stores, parks, playgrounds, schools, and hospitals.