Found in 26 Collections and/or Records:
World's Fairs or International Expositions are large-scale exhibitions that highlight technology, agriculture and other innovations of national or cultural significance. The Century of Progress International Exposition was held along Lake Michigan and Northerly Island Park in Chicago, Illinois from May 27, 1933, to October 31, 1934. This item is a colorful printed panoramic overview of Chicago Century of Progress International Exposition fair grounds.
E. Sachse & Company was a nineteenth century printing company located in Baltimore, Maryland. This item is a color lithograph of an overview of Wilmington, Delaware, looking north from south of the Christiana River.
The Bridesburg Machine Works of Alfred Jenks & Son were manufacturers of cotton and wool carding spinning and weaving machinery, shafting and millgearing. The lithograph shows the plant exterior, people in the street, and a delivery wagon carrying textile machinery. Vignettes of machines surround the main view.
Carolyn Mann Irving (1891-1987) was the wife of Evelyn du Pont Irving (1886-1968), nephew and one of the heirs of the prominent author Washington Irving's estate. The collection consists of forty-two prints (engravings or lithographs) and two photographic prints which were collected by Carolyn M. Irving. Subjects include animals; Andrew Jackson political cartoons; battle and war images; du Pont related images; European landscapes, town scenes and cathedrals; fashion and religious images.
The heyday of cigar band artwork spans from the late nineteenth to early twentieth centuries with many of the companies adopting pictorial displays as well as text. The bands were produced through lithographic printing methods. This item is an album of cigar bands collected in the early twentieth century.
E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company is a chemical company more commonly referred to as the DuPont company. The company was established in 1802 by Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours(1739-1817) and his son Eleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834) the company began with the production of gunpowder. This item is a small chromolithograph label for Du Pont smokeless sporting powder.
Frederic G. Cooper (1883-1962) was an honorary member of the Society of Illustrators. He worked for New York Edison from 1905 to 1926. These are miniature souvenir posters for the Electrical Exposition and Motor Shows sponsored by the New York Edison Company.
This is a hand-colored lithograph by Thomas Sinclair (1807-1881) of Philadelphia showing the wharf area and in the background the town area of Florence, New Jersey, a nineteenth century leisure destination on the Delaware River in Burlington County.
Gayle Porter Hoskins (1887-1962) was an artist and illustrator active between the 1910s through the 1960s. This collection consists of two prints of Hoskins artwork related to rifles.
Henry A. Weldy and members of the Shindel family purchased the small Huhn Powder mill outside Tamaqua, Pennsylvania on the banks of the Little Schuylkill River. They operated it as the H. A. Weldy Powder Company. Illustrations on the lithograph depict Tunnel Mills and Edgeworth Mills, which comprised the H. A. Weldy Powder Company.
The Hercules Powder Company was one of the companies created from the break up of the E.I. du Pont de Nemours "powder trust" in 1911 as ruled by a U.S. Supreme Court decision. In its early years as a separate company, it continued to produce explosives and dynamite and used advertising styles and devices. This item is a poster depicting a World War I soldier leaving home and telling his hunting dog, "Not this trip Old Pal."
The Laflin and Rand Powder Company, one of the largest gunpowder manufacturers in the nineteenth century, was formed from several predecessor companies. The company was acquired by DuPont in October of 1902, and it was operated as a subsidiary. This is a group of four display card advertisements for Laflin & Rand Powder, probably for point-of-sale or counter display.
Leonard W. Walton (1911-2005) was a printing industry executive with Milprint, Inc., which specialized in printing packaging materials, between 1936 and 1976. His collection of Milprint records primarily consists of printing samples including candy wrappers, cigarette boxes, potato chip and bread bags and bacon boxes.
Mather & Company was a printer of motivational workplace posters, based out of Chicago, Illinois between 1923 and 1929. This item is a poster designed by Frank Beatty (1899-1984) and used to motivate workers after the Stock Market Crash.
Mather & Company was a printer of motivational workplace posters, based out of Chicago, Illinois. Between 1923 and 1929, the company produced approximately 350 work-incentive posters. The posters were color lithographs containing vivid images accompanied by witty captions that demonstrated workplace interpersonal interactions, appropriate behaviors, ideals, and guidelines. This artificial collection consists of twenty-six Mather & Company work-incentive posters. The design of each poster follows a standard format; each includes a three-part message and a single image using a colorful pallet.
Mauch Chunk, a town in northeastern Pennsylvania now known as Jim Thorpe, was founded in 1818 by Josiah White (1781-1850). It grew up around the coal industry. This is a colorful view looking down on Mauch Chunk with Mount Pisgah in background.
The Metropolitan Steamship Co. was a steamship line which provided service between Boston and New York and later between San Francisco and Los Angeles. This item is a prnt of the steamship "General Whitney" from the Metropolitan Steamship Co.'s Outside Line between New York and Boston.
E. C. Kellogg and Co. was a lithography firm in Hartford, Connecticut between 1851 and 1854. The item is a hand-colored lightograph of the New York Crystal Palace for the New York Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations.
The lithographs include the following Philadelphia printers' names: E. Beaulieu; Herline & Co.; King & Baird; Wagner & McGuigan; and W. H. Rease. This is a group of nine mid-nineteenth century lithographs showing illustrations of Philadelphia factories.
The Pleasant Valley Wine Company is a historic winery founded near Hammondsport, New York, on Lake Keuka in 1860. This brochure is illustrated with seven color lithographic views of wine production and three black-and-white illustrations of the company's wine bottles.
Raymond Loewy (1893–1986) was one of the most well know industrial designers during the middle decades of the twentieth century. This collection consists of two sets of eight lithographs and one serigraph designed by Raymond Loewy, and printed at The American Atelier in New York City. Prints are generally transportation-themed, and show products created by Loewy's design firm.
The C.A. Edgarton Manufacturing Co. was a textile manufacturing company based in Shirley, Massachusetts, founded in 1881 by Charles A. Edgarton (1826-1891). It distributed Shirley President Suspenders, also known as Perry suspenders. This small collection consists of a single display card advertising Shirley President Suspenders, meant to be placed in store windows. It is number four in a set of six, titled "Bowling Girl." (The other pictures in the set are "Golfing Girl," "Ball Playing Girl," "Tennis Girl," "Fishing Girl," and "Billiard Girl.")
The event known as Great Train Wreck of 1856, occurred on July 17, when two trains were traveling on the same track towards one another and collided at Camp Hill, just below Fort Washington, Pennsylvania. This item is a hand colored print of the railroad accident aftermath.
Samuel Francis du Pont (1803-1865) was a Rear Admiral in the United States Navy and fought in the Mexican-American War and the Civil War. At the start of the Civil War du Pont was appointed a senior member of the Commission of Conference to establish naval operations for the North. du Pont was put in charge of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron and broke his flag on the U.S.S. Wabash. This item is a hand-colored lithograph of the U.S.S. Wabash at sea.
Le jardin des Plantes remains one of France's premier botanical gardens. This collection contains 1 lithograph color print and 2 photographic b&w prints featuring an aerial view of le Jardin des Plantes in Paris, France.
For over sixty years, Zachary Taylor Vinson (1933-2009) amassed a large and comprehensive collection of printed material documenting on the history of transportation, particularly automobiles. This small collection of French lithographs depicts early aeronautical and motor vehicle subjects. All but one were designed by either Ernest Montaut (1879-1909) or his wife, Marguerite Montaut (1883-1936). The final print is by poster artist Georges Hamel (1900-1972).