Leonard W. Walton collection of Milprint, Inc. records1920-2008 Majority of material found within 1940-1970
- Majority of material found within 1940-1970
3.5 Linear Feet
The Heller brothers were able to get in at the beginnings of the mass marketing and distribution of foodstuffs and other home consumer goods, when individual sealed wrappings carried the connotations of safety and purity and of being “untouched by human hands.” In 1930, they moved into eastern markets by purchasing the John M. Driver Company at Philadelphia. A Los Angeles plant followed in 1934. In line with its new national scope, the company was renamed Milprint, Inc., in 1936. The company had it own design and art staffs to assist customers in improving the packaging and sales appeal of their products. The Heller brothers also developed Trans-Vision, a system of printing on multiple layers of transparent sheets that was used to display successive slices through complex machinery or human and animal anatomy.
During World War II, Milprint produced wrappings for military rations and for airplane engines and other easily-damaged materiel on their way to the war zones. After the war, the company benefited from the growing use of convenience foods. It purchased the Nicolet Paper Corporation, long one of its suppliers of glassine paper, in 1946 and developed a means of printing on extensible polyethylene in 1947. After “Popsy’s” death in 1949, Billy Heller became president, and in 1952, chairman of the board. Billy developed a network of over twenty foreign licensees and organized the Milprint International Company and the Milprint Overseas Corporation in 1954.
In 1957, Billy Heller retired from active management and sold the company to Philip Morris Incorporated, becoming honorary chairman for life. It continued to operate under its own name as Philip Morris’s largest non-tobacco unit and was sold to the Bemis Company, Inc., in 1990. Milprint, Inc., continues in business as part of Bemis’s Banner Packaging Division.
Scope and Content
The remainder of the collection consists of an assortment of company correspondence, photographs of officials and company dinners, advertising, and folksy homilies sent by Billy Heller to inspire his sales force. One file describes the company’s activities during World War II. There are runs of several employee newsletters and magazines, including the Milprint Communiquė (1942-1945) carrying news of employees serving in the armed forces.
Language of Materials
The original collection title has been restored as it is more accurate and meets the professional archival description standards for collection titles outlined in "Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS)."
Finding Aid & Administrative Information
- Leonard W. Walton collection of Milprint, Inc. records
- Description rules:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description:
- Script of description: