Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 38 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Content: Consists of ledgers, cash books, and financial journals of various street railway companies in Wilmington, De, and Chester, Pa. Also included are ledgers of Wilmington-area turnpike companies, though these are not complete. Of note are a complete set of cash books and ledgers of the Wilmington City Railway Co. dating from 1864 to 1899.
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives > Account books of Henry Disston & Sons, Inc. and subsidiary firms
Abstract: Henry Disston & Sons, Inc. was a major manufacturer of saws and other woodworking tools and one of the largest industrial firms in Philadelphia. The Henry Disston & Sons, Inc. had a number of subsidary companies, these records contain a small number of account books from only three of the firms subsidaries. There are accounts for: the Tacony Fuel Gas Company, the Henry Disston & Sons File Company, Limited, and the Henry Disston & Sons Iron & Steel Works, and an insurance ledger from the Estate of Henry Disston.
Dates: 1824-1918; Majority of material found within 1867-1907
Abstract: Alexis Irénée du Pont (1843-1904) was a businessman and non-practicing physician who resided in both Louisville, Kentucky, and Wilmington, Delaware. The ledger documents his various financial and business accounts from October 1893 until November 1904, just before his death.
Abstract: The Bancroft family owned and operated the Joseph Bancroft & Sons Company, a cotton cloth manufacturer in Rockford, Delaware, beginning in 1831. The volumes help document the activities of two generations of the Bancroft family in England and America and the operations and employees of two early Delaware Valley textile mills.
Abstract: The Brandywine Manufacturers Sunday School (BMSS) was organized in 1817 as a non-sectarian school for the children of the local factory workers, with instruction in reading, writing, arithmetic, and religion. Éleuthère Irénée du Ponts (1771-1834), founder of the DuPont Company, was one of its chief subscribers, and the school building was located on his property. Primarily generated and maintained by the du Pont women, the BMSS records include the school's constitution, and financial records such as bills and receipts and accounts. Most of the records pertain to students with information about premiums which were given as rewards for attendance and scholarly excellence.
Abstract: Brown & Hewett were merchants of Oneida County, New York. The journal contains the accounts of individuals doing business with the firm, which was a typical backcountry mercantile enterprise trading imported goods such as brandy, rum, tobacco, paper, textiles, and merchandise for local staples like wheat and lumber.
Abstract: The Christiana Machine Company was a small, general purpose machine shop and foundry located in Christiana, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This small collection includes incoming and outgoing correspondence related to orders following the buyout of Nathan F. Burnham's interest by the Broomells in January 1889.
Abstract: The Christiana Machine Company is a small, general purpose machine shop and foundry located in Christiana, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Their records cover the operation of the company under the Broomells and Burnham from 1877 to 1915 and are typical of the records of a small machine shop.
Dates: 1877-1929; Majority of material found within 1877-1915
Abstract: The Curtis Paper Company was a small producer specializing in high-quality paper located in Newark, Delaware. Their records consist primarily of account books, with some organization papers, deeds, and correspondence.
Abstract: Daniel Cauffiel (1867-1930) was a merchant, real estate developer, and entrepreneur of Johnstown, Pennsylvania and Wilmington, Delaware. The Daniel Cauffiel papers depict his career as a small business entrepreneur and as an agent or employee of the du Pont family and in their various businesses.
Abstract: The Delaware and Bound Brook Railroad Company was incorporated in 1874, for the purpose of forming a second railroad route between the cities of New York and Philadelphia. Their records consist primarily of basic corporate documents such as minutes, account books, annual reports to the I.C.C., and agreements.
Abstract: Edith N. McConnell (1880-1968) was a confectioner and caterer in Wilmington, Delaware from the 1920s through the 1950s. The records consist of a three ledgers, containing business expenses and customer account books dating from 1937 to 1945, and from 1955 to 1956.
Abstract: Éleuthère Irénée du Pont de Nemours (1771–1834) was a French American chemist and industrialist who founded the gunpowder manufacturer, E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company. This ledger documents his accounts current between the years 1814 and 1818.
Abstract: The Erie City Iron Works was founded by Pennsylvania capitalist Bethuel Boyd Vincent (1803-1876) as the Presque Isle Foundry in 1840. The Works was a major manufacturer of boilers, stationary and portable engines and machinery for sawmills and steam riveting as well as railroad freight and passenger cars. Their records are largely comprised of accounting records.
Abstract: Felix Octavius Carr Darley (1822-1888) was an American illustrator known for his illustrations in works by well-known nineteenth century authors. The collection includes a microfilm copy of his 1853 account book which records his work for publishers.
Abstract: Francis Gurney du Pont (1850-1904) was the youngest son of Alexis I. du Pont (1816-1857) and Joanna Smith du Pont (1815-1876), and grandson of Éleuthère Irénée "E.I." du Pont (1771-1834), founder of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, a chemical company more commonly referred to as the DuPont Company. Walter G. Tatnall Jr. (1882-1949) was an engineer at the DuPont Pulp Keg Mill and president of the Department of Elections for New Castle County. The memorandum books from du Pont and Tatnall document their work for the DuPont Company, including data on the manufacture of pulp kegs.
Abstract: Gabrielle Josephine de La Fite de Pelleport (1770-1837) was the wife of Victor du Pont (1767-1827), a French American diplomat, politician, and businessman. He was the brother of Éleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834), the founder of the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. The account book is supposedly the household account book of du Pont and contains handwriting of various people, including her son Charles I. du Pont (1797-1869). Entries include purchases of coal, whiskey, soap, candles, and other items, as well as construction materials and tools.
Abstract: George Bowen (1799-1879) founded a ship chandler's business in Newport, Rhode Island, around 1829, as the George Bowen & Company. The fragmentary records consist of sixteen volumes of account books, which describe the mechanics of the business and the retail trade in coal and wood, giving names of customers, quantities of goods bought and sold, and operating expenses.
Abstract: Henry Bower Chemical Manufacturing Company was a chemical manufacturing company that primarily produced ammonia. The company was formed in 1906 by the merger of three existing companies. The records include account books, production records, sales records, and inventories.
Abstract: The leather manufacturing firm of J.E. Rhoads & Sons grew out of an eighteenth-century tanning operation on the Rhoads family homestead in Marple, Chester County (now Delaware County), Pennsylvania. The miscellany contains ledgers, a list of leather dealers in the northeast, correspondence regarding an order of belts by the DuPont Company, and other loose papers, such as bills and receipts.
Abstract: John A. Bader II (1895-1961) was a Wilmington, Delaware, building contractor active during the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. The records are primarily Bader's business papers. The collection includes engineer's field books, diaries of trips, and job notes. Eight volumes contain profit and loss statements, cost accounting for jobs, records of checks paid, and files on individual construction jobs.
Abstract: John Krider (1813-1886) was one of Philadelphia's most prominent gunsmiths during the nineteenth century. This collection consists of fifty-nine account books (1840-1939), including wage accounts (1853-1857), accounts for the repairs of guns (1904-1909), records of daily powder sales (1891-1893), and the treasurer's record for an unidentified gun club.
Abstract: The account books document a general store situated in Little Britain Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, likely owned in part by Jeremiah Brown (1749-1831). Brown was a successful businessman, owning a grist mill, sawmill, and slate quarries. The general store was a major center of exchange, which included a mix of cash and barter transactions, the latter including both goods and labor.
Abstract: Lynch and Stoughton was a New York mercantile firm that traded extensively with Spain, Portugal, Holland, the West Indies, Florida, Ireland, and China, in the coasting trade between Pennsylvania and New England, and with the interior of New York State. The ledger documents the firm's mercantile business between 1783 and 1788. The ledger appears to have later been passed down through several generations of the Stow family of New York and Michigan, who used it as a scrapbook for scrap paper and practicing penmanship.
Abstract: By the beginning of the nineteenth century, Pennsylvania was already a leader in the coal, iron, steel, railroad, and petroleum industries. As the manufacturing industries grew in the cities, so did the small businesses of craftsman and artisans that populated the surrounding areas selling their goods. These merchants played an important role in trade, community relationships, and the economy. This is an artificial collection of account books, cash ledgers, and receipt books of nineteenth-century merchants of various industries in Pennsylvania. Minimal correspondence is included as well as a poem. Mineral, iron and leather industries are represented as well as organ building which includes two treatises written in German.
Abstract: North Pennsylvania Railroad was a railroad company which served the Pennsylvania counties of Philadelphia, Montgomery, Bucks, and Northampton. It was incorporated as the Philadelphia, Easton and Water-Gap Railroad Company on April 6, 1852, and renamed the North Pennsylvania Railroad Company on October 3, 1853. Their records consist of corporate records such as minute books, annual reports, account books and statements.
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives > Northern Liberties & Penn Township Railroad Company journal no. 1
Abstract: The Northern Liberties & Penn Township Railroad Company was incorporated in Pennsylvania on April 23, 1829, to build a railroad from Front Street at the Delaware River through what was then the independent District of Northern Liberties and Penn Township (now both part of the City of Philadelphia) to connect with the state-owned Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad near Broad and Vine Streets. This volume is the basic surviving record of the company's monetary transactions during its period of construction and independent operations.
Abstract: Peter Arnold Karthaus (1765-1840) established a mercantile business in Baltimore trading with Germany, Holland, France, and the Caribbean. The receipt book was kept by a member of P.A. Karthaus & Company at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and mostly deals with payments to individuals, pilots, and other laborers, engaged in Karthaus's arking business, typically wages, meals, boarding costs, and transportation back upstream.
Abstract: The Philadelphia Maritime Exchange was formed in 1875 for the purpose of circulating marine intelligence relating to the port of Philadelphia. The records consist primarily of account books, including journals (1912-1942), ledgers (1875-1896), cash books (1875-1957), trial balances (1897-1903, 1911-1941), and invoice books (1922-1925).
Abstract: The Pusey & Jones Corporation were shipbuilders, founders, and machinists of Wilmington, Delaware, which later expanded into papermaking machinery manufacturing. This collection contains a minute book and account book of the Trustees of the Pusey & Jones Corporation employees' retirement plan trust fund. It also includes other material kept by Warren D. Walker (1894-1969), one of the last executives for the company.
Dates: 1938-1968; Majority of material found within 1948-1960
Scope and Content: The Strawbridge & Clothier records are not a complete corporate archive but rather a mix of corporate and legal documents and materials collected for a two-volume anniversary history. Nevertheless, they give a good overall picture of the evolution of retailing in the Philadelphia area, particularly in the twentieth century.The Corporate records include incorporation papers, board and committee minutes, and annual reports, which give an overall view of the firm's operations.The Management records are limited to very fragmentary correspondence of the corporate secretaries and president Herbert J. Tily. Much of it concerns bank financing, authorizations, and accounts. There are also executive payrolls (1931-1950), employment contracts for top executives, and notes on executive development programs.Financial and accounting records include fragmentary runs of journals and ledgers, including a sales ledger (1881) and a sales & salaries ledger (1903-1906); financial statements for S&C and the rival Lit Brothers chain; and tax papers.Legal records include trial records relative to the failed hostile takeover attempt made by Ronald Baron in 1985-1986. There are transcripts of testimony from the major parties on both sides. This subgroup also contains a variety of miscellaneous legal papers, including settlements with S&C's foreign offices and various suppliers in London, Paris, and Berlin (1921-1926); merchandising agreements with domestic and foreign manufacturers (1896-1907); and claims case files (1906 and 1911).Real estate records include title papers for the company's flagship store at 8th & Market Streets (1793-1922); contracts for store construction; and some plans for twentieth century construction. Four linear feet of store appraisals for the flagship store are detailed lists for insurance purposes of the store, its fixtures, and contents (1948-1970).Branch store records include plans, publicity articles, brochures, and scrapbooks, plus leases, mortgages, contracts, and insurance appraisals of store and contents for the following branch stores beginning in 1930: Ardmore, Jenkintown, Springfield, Neshaminy, Plymouth Meeting, and Exton, Pennsylvania; Cherry Hill and Echelon, New Jersey; and Wilmington and Christiana, Delaware. This subgroup documents the growth of suburban shopping strips and shopping malls during the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, including malls designed...
Abstract: The Wallace family general store was a country store established by Robert Wallace (1721-1793) when he purchased land in what is now East Earl Township northeast of the town of Lancaster around 1761. The records of the Blue Ball store are somewhat unusual because they cover a single rural enterprise over a long period that coincides with the change from near-frontier conditions to intensive agricultural development. All of the records are typical storekeeper's account books: day books, ledgers and cash books. There is also an arithmetic copy book, circa 1790, that belonged to Thomas Wallace (1785-1871), the youngest son of Robert Wallace.
Abstract: The Morris family of Philadelphia were brewers, merchants, land speculators, manufacturers, and prominent participants in public affairs. Their papers are primarily from Samuel and Isaac W. Morris. However, the collection includes papers from other family members from the first Anthony Morris to John Thompson Morris (1847-1915), the founder of the Morris Arboretum in Germantown. There are also papers from members of the Wistar, Paschall, and Mifflin families allied by marriage.
Abstract: The account book, internal evidence suggests, belonged to William Hitchcock (fl. 1800-1825) and was used to record his earnings and activities as a laborer in the Connecticut Valley between New Haven, Connecticut, and Springfield, Massachusetts.
Abstract: William J. Barnard (1867-1957) was a merchant and general storekeeper of Westtown, Pennsylvania, and later of Newark, Delaware. The collection contains four account books that describe his dealings in produce, sponges, and lumber at various points in the Midwest and Delaware Valley.
Abstract: William Parrott (1885-1971) was a partner of William Parrott Sons, dock builders. The account ledger covers 1911 to 1926, with index, and also includes five accounts of accidents.
Abstract: The Wilmington Trapshooting Association was organized in November 1916 with William Highfield (1884-1943) as President, C. Thorpe Martin (1880-1955) as Vice President, E.R. Galvin (dates unknown) as Secretary. The records include minutes, financial ledgers, handbooks, rulebooks, and membership lists.