Forwood family account books1790-1829
The Forwood family were farmers whose homestead comprised 124 acres located on Marsh Road in Brandywine Hundred, north of Wilmington, Delaware. Corn, oats, and wheat were grown on the property, which had been a marsh. During the first decade of the nineteenth century, the Forwood family began to purchase and sell livestock. The Forwood farm was a major timber supplier to the DuPont Company. The Forwood family account books, spanning the century between 1790 and 1889, were kept by various family members. There are records for the Brandywine Hundred Horse Company and a book of sketches and poems by women in the circle of Du Pont family and friends.
- Forwood family (Family)
The Forwood family were farmers whose homestead comprised 124 acres located on Marsh Road in Brandywine Hundred, north of Wilmington, Delaware. Corn, oats, and wheat were grown on the property, which had been a marsh. During the first decade of the nineteenth century, the Forwood family began to purchase and sell livestock.
The family patriarch, William Forwood (1692-1777), immigrated to the United States from England, but was born in Dublin, Ireland. He married Maria Stedham (1693-1783) on November 6, 1716, at Holy Trinity Church in Wilmington, Delaware. The Early Church Records of New Castle County, Delaware, records his last name as Forehead.
William Forwood's grandson, Jehu Forwood (1764-1850), was the property owner between 1790 and his death in 1850. In 1790, Jehu Forwood married Mary Robinson (1770-1838). The couple had ten children. Their children worked on the farm, most notably their sons Valentine Forwood (1804-1892) and Jehu Forwood Jr. (1812-1886).
The Cherry Island Marsh Company was a private corporation formed for the benefit of the marsh owners. The charter was granted in 1810. There were thirty-five owners that were part of the company, owning 1,000 acres. The land owners held meetings; gave notice of sales, purchases, or property changes; and had collective representation in legal matters.
The Brandywine Hundred Mutual Horse Company for the Recovery of Stolen Horses was incorporated in 1861 for the purposes of recovering stolen horses and insuring owners. A group of people came together to form the company, one of which was Lot Cloud (1811-1894), whose son, William Cloud (1845-1924), served as secretary. Jehu Forwood Jr. was also a founding member.
The Forwood farm was a major timber supplier to the DuPont Company. The farm stayed in the family until 1889, when it was sold by Robert Forwood (1821-1896), the grandson of Robert Forwood (1767-1844), Jehu Forwood Sr.’s brother.
Scope and Contents
The Forwood family account books, spanning the century between 1790 and 1889, were kept by Jehu, Jehu Jr., Valentine, and other family members. Entries include notes on plantings, harvests, rain, sale, and purchase of livestock and farm produce (cider, buckwheat, corn, oats, wheat, parsnips, cattle, horses, and sheep). There are also notes about wages, school expenses, and other items relating to family members. Work at a swamp on Marsh Road is noted, as is working on a nearby road.
Brandywine Hundred Horse Company records from 1822 to 1852 include the constitution, by-laws, minutes, membership lists, and accounts.
The papers also include an autograph book, circa 1820s, containing sketches and poems inscribed by Sophie Madeleine du Pont, Victorine du Pont Bauduy, Mary E. Simmons, and others.
This collection is open for research.
Language of Materials
- Forwood family (Family)
Finding Aid & Administrative Information
- Forwood family account books
- Description rules:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description:
- Script of description:
- 2022: Laurie Sather
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
PO Box 3630
Wilmington Delaware 19807 USA