Showing Collections: 251 - 300 of 1767
The Christiana Bank & Trust Company formed in 1992 to conduct a banking and trust business for Greenville, Delaware, and nearby communities in New Castle County, Delaware, and Chester County, Pennsylvania. The records include initial business and organizational plans, including stock offerings; annual reports; shareholder and directors lists; board minutes; quarterly financial reports, and documents covering the merger of the bank with National Penn Bancshares, Inc.
The Christiana Machine Company was a small, general purpose machine shop and foundry located in Christiana, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This small collection includes incoming and outgoing correspondence related to orders following the buyout of Nathan F. Burnham's interest by the Broomells in January 1889.
The Christiana Machine Company is a small, general purpose machine shop and foundry located in Christiana, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Their records cover the operation of the company under the Broomells and Burnham from 1877 to 1915 and are typical of the records of a small machine shop.
Notes and maps from an unfinished project to map the turnpike and plank road networks of the states from New York to Virginia/West Virginia down to 1860 and for two completed journal articles on the turnpikes and plank roads of New York State during the same period.
The heyday of cigar band artwork spans from the late nineteenth to early twentieth centuries with many of the companies adopting pictorial displays as well as text. The bands were produced through lithographic printing methods. This item is an album of cigar bands collected in the early twentieth century.
Cinecraft, Inc. is a corporate film and video production house. The company was founded in 1939 by Ray Culley (1904-1983) and Betty Culley (1914-2016) in Cleveland, Ohio. Ray Culley served as president of the company until his retirement in 1970. During his tenure, Cinecraft specialized in commercial productions for business, industry, trade organizations, and, in some cases, government agencies and social service organizations. Cinecraft was one among hundreds of production houses in the U.S. during the middle decades of the twentieth century that specialized in a motion pictures commonly referred to as non-theatrical, industrial, commercial, business and/or sponsored films. The collection consists of films produced or acquired by Cinecraft, Inc., scripts prepared for film productions, and administrative documents related to the daily functions of the company. The collection is divided into three series: Films; Scripts and project documentation; and Administrative records. The materials date from 1915 to the 1980s.
Cinecraft, Inc. is a corporate film and video production house. The company was founded in 1939 by Ray Culley (1904-1983) and Betty Culley (1914-2016) in Cleveland, Ohio. Ray Culley served as president of the company until his retirement in 1970. During his tenure, Cinecraft specialized in commercial productions for business, industry, trade organizations, and, in some cases, government agencies and social service organizations. Cinecraft was one among hundreds of production houses in the U.S. during the middle decades of the twentieth century that specialized in a motion pictures commonly referred to as non-theatrical, industrial, commercial, business and/or sponsored films. This collection includes five interviews with former employees as well as relatives of Cinecraft employees.
Cities Service Oil Company was an oil and natural gas company formed in 1959 after a Federal Court mandated that Cities Services Company divest its holdings as a result of the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935. A souvenir album from the first annual Dealerama, a trade show held by Cities Service Oil Company to encourage service stations to increase their advertising. The trade show was a two day event in January of 1959 that took place at the Hotel Statler-Hilton in New York. The materials in the album are primarily photographs of exhibitions or booths that demonstrate a varity of products. There are a small set of materials that were laid into the album.
In the mid-1850's major cities in the United States began publishing pictorial envelopes with patriotic themes. This collection consists of envelopes with printed cover illustrations from the American Civil War.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a voluntary public work relief program that ran from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men ages 18 to 25, eventually expanded to ages 17 to 28. Considered by many to be one of the most successful of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal programs, the CCC planted more than three billion trees and constructed trails and shelters in more than 800 parks nationwide during its nine years of existence. Company 1218's main camp was in Proctorsville, Vermont, known as Camp Proctor, Camp No. 2194 in Proctor-Piper State Forest. This company built roads, a picnic area, and ski and bridle trails, which are depicted in this album. The company also worked on Project No. MC-73 Dias Creek in Cape May, New Jersey, in August 1935, photographs of which also appear in the album. Most of the images show young workers together at work and during leisure time.
The Maytag Corporation manufactures home appliances, most well known for its washing machines, also produces dryers, dishwashers, cooktops, refrigerators, and ranges. Claire G. Ely (1905-2004) was an employee of the Maytag company for forty one years. He worked for the Kansas City Branch and then was transferred to Newton, Iowa upon his promotion in 1952 to Manager of Product and Market Planning, eventually becoming Vice President of Marketing. This collection consists of materials collected or created by Clare G. Ely and includes biographical information about the Maytag family, historical information about the Maytag company, and documents the career of Ely from Branch Manager to Vice President. The collection includes press releases, newsletters, bulletins, newspaper clippings, correspondence, reports, pamphlets, photographs, and certificates.
Clarence Ferrier (1908-1990) was a photographer for more than twenty-seven years at All American Engineering Co., an aeronautical engineering and research firm incorporated in Georgetown, Delaware, on October 31, 1952. This small colletion of slides depicts the facility, hanger, aircraft, and employees.
Clarita Violet Stubenbord (1909-2010) was an artist and designer working in the 1930s through the 1960s in New York. Her design work was primarily packaging design for the cosmetics industry. This collection is Stubenbord's portfolio of design work for major cosmetics houses, primarily Dorothy Gray, but also Elizabeth Arden and Estee Lauder.
Clement S. Brinton (1875-1963) was a trained chemist who spent his entire career with the Food & Drug Administration designing and directing food inspection laboratories in the Philadelphia area. Brinton was also a local amateur historian and was particularly interested in the history of the eighteenth- and nineteenth-century iron industry. The Brinton Collection is a useful source on the early iron industry in the northeastern states. The materials are, in many cases, not unique, including such items as postcards, newspaper clippings, souvenir booklets and brochures, and extracts from published articles. The collection focuses on old iron works in New Jersey, southeastern Pennsylvania, and northeastern Maryland.
Clinton H. Blackburn (1916-1993) was a mechanical engineer with E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Blackburn's papers are a sample of work-related materials he retained upon retirement.
Vicary’s Clothing Store was a men’s clothing store located in Canton, Ohio founded by C.N. (Charles Newell) Vicary (1858-1921) in 1905. This album contains brochures, reports, stock certificates and photographs of the clothing store and its employees. There are exterior views of the store front at various locations, interior views of the store showing different fixtures, different departments, including staff members in the store and individual portraits of staff members.
Coal Lands Securities Co. was one of several mining companies owned in large portion by Thomas J. Foster (1843-1936), a publisher. Lackawanna Coal and Lumber Company and Highland Lumber Company were also part of Foster's holdings. The album contains photographs taken during an inspection trip made by a party from the Coal Lands Securities Company to properties in West Virginia owned by the Lackawanna Coal and Lumber Company and the Highland Lumber Company.
The Coca-Cola Company is a multinational corporation in the beverage industry, best known for its soft drink Coca-Cola, which was formulated in 1886 by Dr. John Stith Pemberton (1831-1888) as a medicinal syrup for headaches. The company has since evolved to produce a wide variety of beverages and associated products. This small collection consists of a sales catalog and price list showing retailers' options for Coca-Cola point-of-sale advertisements that would encourage customers to purchase additional items before exiting the store, stored in a binder. The binder was updated periodically between 1958 and 1960.
The Coca-Cola Company is a software beverage manufacturer. It was formulated in 1886 by Dr. John Stith Pemberton (1831-1888) as a medicinal syrup for headaches. The company has since evolved into a corporation producing beverages and associated products. This small collection is a 1949 salesman training kit. Researchers interested in merchandise and training procedures regarding the Coca-Cola Company would find this collection useful.
The Collection of Philadelphia merchants records comprises the papers of major and minor merchant houses in Philadelphia throughout the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, and primarily documents trade with major port cities in Western Europe and the West Indies. Included are the papers of merchants Andrew Clow & Co., Dutilh & Wachsmuth, Manuel Eyre, and George Louis de Stockar, along with records of other miscellaneous merchants from the Philadelphia area. The records include correspondence, accounts, bills, orders, invoices and other material that give insight into the rise of capitalism in the Early Republic.
Aristo Gold was a product of the American Aristotype Co. which was purchased by Eastman Kodak Company before 1920. This is a small group of material all related to photography. There are three stock photographs, company samples all printed on Aristo Gold "pure collodian-matt surface for sepia effects" paper; a letter, a price list and a tearsheet.
Colonel J. (John) Victor Dallin (1897-1991) was an aviator and photographer who founded the Dallin Aerial Surveys Company in 1924. This small collection of films were shot by Dallin. There are five films, three are home movies, one is the reception for Charles Lindbergh in Philadelphia, and the fifth film contents is unidentified at this time.
The Color Association of the United States (CAUS) was organized on February 19, 1915 as the Textile Color Card Association (TCCA) for the purpose of standardizing colors for the textile trade. Their records include minutes; reports; staff and membership files; publications; advertisements; cloth samples; seasonal bulletins; and color cards. Color standardization services for the government and various industries are documented as well.
The Columbus Inn is a restaurant located at 2216 Pennsylvania Avenue, Wilmington, Delaware. The Columbus Inn began as a bakery in the late 1790s and was converted to a tavern as early as 1812. This collection consists of a single album of photographs of the exterior and interior of the Columbus Inn during its brief closure in 2007.
Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) was a French political economist, writer, publisher, and public administrator. This collection contains photocopies of five complaints submitted to du Pont de Nemours when he was a deputy from Chevannes to the Assemblee des Trois Ordres du Bailliage de Nemours.
The Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA) was involved in duplicating and making available court documents of interest to their members. CCIA assembled documents, assigned their own numbering scheme, and in some cases created microfiche copies of the records. The IBM antitrust trial records consists of CCIA photocopies and microfiche copies of trial transcripts, trial exhibits, depositions, legal memoranda, motions, subpoenas, and other documents relating to antitrust suits brought against IBM throughout the 1970s.
Avon Products, Inc. is a manufacturer and direct selling company of beauty products. It is one of the oldest direct selling companies in the United States. Avon diversified in the 1970s, introducing costume jewelry, fine jewelry, gift, and decorative items to the product line. Concetta "Tina" Cacciola (1924-2016) was an illustrator; she was employed at Avon Products from 1977 to 1985. This collection consists of photographic prints and sketches of figurines, prototypes, and final products of primarily "Precious Moments" figurines.
Conectiv, Inc. was formed in 1998 by the merger of Atlantic Electric Incorporated and Delmarva Power and Light Company, two large regional power utilities that supplied Southern New Jersey and the Delmarva Peninsula. Almost all the images in this collection came originally from the corporate archive of the Delmarva Power and Light Company (DP&L).The majority of the images in this collection come from the Delmarva Power and Light Company (DP&L), a predecessor of Conectiv, Inc. The images can generally be divided into three categories: DP&L equipment and facilities, DP&L employees, and views of buildings, both commercial and residential, throughout northern Delaware.
This collection is a list on cardboard of the contents of a Conestoga wagon toolbox. Conestoga wagons were used to haul freight between farms and cities in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and Ohio between the years 1750 and 1855.
The records consists of contract and production documents for two celebrated IMAX films sponsored by Conoco, Inc., and made for the National Air and Space Museum, with an accompanying juvenile storybook.
The Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail) was incorporated in October 1974. It was formed under the auspices of the United States Railway Association, a quasi-public agency established for the purpose of solving the problems of bankrupt railroads in the Northeast and Midwest. The portfolio contains sixty-eight examples of proof copies of advertisements created by the advertising agency of Ogilvy & Mather, Inc. (later Ogilvy & Mather Partners, Inc.), between Conrail's start up in April 1976 and 1990. There are also two pages of proxy instructions that appear to date from the first CSX takeover bid in 1997.
The Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail) was incorporated in October 1974. It was formed under the auspices of the United States Railway Association, a quasi-public agency established for the purpose of solving the problems of bankrupt railroads in the Northeast and Midwest. The Conrail photograph collection consists of a large number of images from its company files, but the majority of the material comes from its predecessor companies: Pennsylvania Railroad and Penn Central Transportation Company. These items are predominanatly composed of photographs, negatives, transparencies, lantern slides, and films.
The Radio Corporation of America (renamed RCA Corporation in 1969) was best known for its pioneering radio and television development and manufacturing. This small collection consists of non-RCA material collected by the David Sarnoff Library, as well as clippings relating to the library's closure.
Isaac Elder Blake (1844-1906) founded the Continental Oil and Transportation Company in 1875 in Utah as a distributor of oil, kerosene, and other products. In 1929, the company merged with the Marland Oil Company, continuing to operate using the name Continental Oil Company. This volume contains extracts of minutes and auditor's reports concerning a revision of the company's finances during the Great Depression and an analysis of the company's financial position and prospects.
Cooper & Hewitt partners were iron businessmen who purchased ironworks, property, and iron mines. In 1845, a rolling mill complex was incorporated as the Trenton Iron Company, and in 1847 iron mines at Andover, New Jersey, were purchased. The records consist of two payroll sheets from 1848, as well as eighty-two inbound letters, mostly from 1849 to 1850. The letters are primarily operating reports from the superintendent of the Andover mine.
Consists of the family papers of former DuPont CEO Lammot du Pont Copeland (1905-1983) and his wife Pamela Cunningham Copeland (1906-2001). The Copelands' papers document the lives and interests of a wealthy American couple in the twentieth century. In particular, the papers of Pamela C. Copeland are an important source of information about the public activities of women in the areas of historic preservation, gardening and horticulture, and philanthropy.
Ethel Lippman (1891-1987) and David Sarnoff (1891-1971) were friends in their youth; her parents supposedly objected to their marriage. The collection consists of a few copies of Ethel Lippman's handwritten letters and all of David Sarnoff's replies.
Records collected by Christopher P. Wahmann during his career as a manager in the Operating Department of Amtrak between the mid-1970s and mid-1990s, including Amtrak documents and those of other railroads and commuter agencies over which Amtrak operates or that operate trains over Amtrak's lines.
The Craven-McDade family had several family members working in the gunpowder and explosives industry for the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company and later the Hercules Powder Company. These papers related to the Craven and McDade family of Henry Clay village in Delaware.
Crawford H. Greenewalt (1902-1993) was an executive with the DuPont Company and president of the firm from 1948 to 1962. The collection consists of photographs and other materials related to Crawford Greenewalt's career with the DuPont Company and his involvement with corporate boards and other business and scientific organizations, etc., such as Boeing, M.I.T., Smithsonian Institution, and Radio Free Europe.
Crawford Hallock Greenewalt (1902-1993) was a chemical engineer and the President of the DuPont Company from 1948 to 1962. The collection consists of photographs relating to the career of Crawford H. Greenewalt. The album consists of photographs of a trip Greenewalt made to Argentina in 1956 related to expansion plans for the Ducilo plant. The views were primarily taken at the Buenos Aires airport and at a banquet meeting.
Crawford Hallock Greenewalt (1902-1993) was a chemical engineer and the President of the DuPont Company from 1948 to 1962. He had a passion for the natural sciences, and combined his love of ornithology with photography. He was especially known for his high speed photographs of hummingbirds. The bulk of the collection consists of nature films shot by Greenewalt, primarily of hummingbirds. The collection is divided into three series: Nature films, DuPont films and Sound recordings.
Crawford H. Greenewalt (1902-1993) was an executive with the DuPont Company and president of the firm from 1948 to 1962. This collection consists of Greenewalt's papers from his time as president and chairman of the board. There is a broad range of external correspondence, internal company communications and reports, presidential working papers, transcripts of speeches, and published articles that make up the collection.
Crawford H. Greenewalt (1902-1993) was an executive with the DuPont Company and president of the firm from 1948 to 1962. He had a passion for the natural sciences, and combined his love of ornithology with photography. He was especially known for his high-speed photographs of hummingbirds. His ornithological interests included bird songs, the radiance of hummingbird feathers, and the evolution of shapes and sizes of birds in relation to their flight abilities. Greenewalt's personal papers are primarily focused on his retirement years and his avocational interests. The papers document Greenewalt's political activities in the Republican National Committee and include exchanges with many of the leading political and business figures of the day. Of particular significance are the papers describing Greenewalt's work in photography and ornithology, beginning in 1948. These materials trace his research interests in the hummingbird and bird flight and his trips to places like Brazil, Peru, Venezuela, the Antilles, New Guinea, and the Galapagos Islands in order to observe and photograph birds in their natural habitats. Other files describe Greenewalt's work on the visiting committee at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1965-1987), which evaluated the school's academic programs.
Crawford H. Greenewalt (1902-1993) was an executive with the DuPont Company and president of the firm from 1948 to 1962. In 1942, when the DuPont Company agreed to participate in the Manhattan Project, Greenewalt was named chief liaison, working with the physicists at the University of Chicago Metallurgical Laboratory, including Arthur Compton (1892-1962) and Enrico Fermi (1901-1954), who were developing techniques for plutonium separation. The collection consists of eight volumes of Greenewalt's diaries, which describe the history of the Manhattan Project and the development of the United States' first atomic bombs that were used to end the Second World War. The diaries describe the technical history of the project, as well as the relationships that developed between scientists.
Creed and Company Limited was originally founded as Creed, Bille & Company Limited by Frederick George Creed (1871-1957) and Harald Bille (1879-1916) in 1912 to manufacture and sell telegraphy equipment. In the early 1900s, Creed had invented several machines that facilitated the sending and receiving of Morse code messages. Much of Creed and Company's manufacturing capacity was in Croydon, London, England. These photographs show a group tour of the Creed and Company Limited plant in Croydon on October 14, 1954.
The Crofton and Shubrick families were descendants of a prominent French American diplomat and businessman, Victor Marie du Pont (1767-1827), and represent middle-class American women in the mid-to-late nineteenth century. Two generations of women married military men who were stationed across the world. This collection spans three generations of women (Julia du Pont Shubrick, Gabrielle Josephine Shubrick Crofton, and Julia du Pont Crofton Walcutt) from these families and contains correspondence regarding everyday life.
These photographs document the abandoned site where the Peoples Railway trolley car passed under the tracks of the Wilmington and Northern Railroad in Rockford Park near the Brandywine Creek. The Peoples Railway Company started in 1900 to bring visitors via electric trolley to the Brandywine Springs Amusement Park outside of Wlimington. The Wilmington and Northern Railroad Company was a branch of the Reading railroad system running in a north-south direction between Wilmington, Delware and Reading, Pennsylvania. Its object was to connect the various industrial plants located along Brandywine Creek with other railroads leading to the west and to the anthracite coal regions.
Louise Evelina du Pont (1877-1958) was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Algernon du Pont. In 1922 Henry A. du Pont purchased the original family home, Eleutherian Mills, for his daughter who, with her husband, began restoring the house and building a Renaissance garden adjoining it. This collection consists of twelve black and white photographs of Louise and Frank Crowninshield's garden at Eleutherian Mills, apparently taken by Horace Dugdale during a visit, circa 1938. Also two photographs of the abandon Hagley House which stood nearby.
Cinecraft Productions was founded in 1939 by Ray Culley (1904-1983) and Betty Culley (1914-2016) in Cleveland, Ohio. Ray Culley served as president of the company until his retirement in 1970. During his tenure, Cinecraft specialized in commercial productions for business, industry, trade organizations, and, in some cases, government agencies and social service organizations. Cinecraft was one among hundreds of production houses in the U.S. during the middle decades of the 20th century that specialized in motion pictures commonly referred to as non-theatrical, industrial, business and/or sponsored films. This collection documents the history of the company, the people that worked there, and some of the company's film and educational projects. The collection has been arranged into three series: Company and personnel history; Films; and Educational materials. The materials date from 1937 to 2016 with a bulk of the collection dating from 1937 to 1975.