Christ Church Christiana Hundred photographsCreation: 1859-1998 Creation: bulk 1900-1998
Christ Church Christiana Hundred is an Episcopal church in Greenville, Delaware, founded in 1848 by the du Pont family and Reverend Samuel Brinckle (1796-1863).This collection of Christ Church photographs primarily document changes to the church site, both exterior and interior, between 1890 and 1983.
- Creation: 1859-1998
- Creation: bulk 1900-1998
- Christ Church Christiana Hundred (Greenville, DE) (Organization)
0.5 Linear Feet
64 photographic prints : b&w ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller. 15 photographic prints : color ; 4 x 6 in. or smaller. 16 transparencies : color ; 4 x 5 in. 1 negative : color ; 4 x 5 in.
Christ Church Christiana Hundred is an Episcopal church in Greenville, Delaware. Founded in 1848 by the du Pont family and Reverend Samuel Brinckle (1796-1863), Christ Church served as a church to the du Pont family and powder yard employees until 1942 when pew rentals ended and the church opened to the community. Between 1848 and 1852, Rev. Brinckle preached at the Brandywine Manufacturer's Sunday School on the grounds of the Brandywine Gunpowder Works. In 1856 the congregation moved to the newly constructed Christ Church building. The church sanctuary underwent a major renovation in 1914. In 1952, the Chapel of the Christ Child was constructed via a gift of Mary Chichester du Pont Clark (1878-1965) in memory of her son, Richard C. du Pont (1911-1943). Today, Christ Church continues to be active in worship and community service.
Scope and Content
This collection of Christ Church photographs primarily document changes to the church site, both exterior and interior, between 1890 and 1983. An early photograph shows damage to the church building from an explosion at the DuPont Company powder yards. Images from 1914 to 1917 document extensive renovations to the church sanctuary, including the addition of carved wooden ceiling trusses, pink stone columns, a tile floor, mosaic altar and stained glass window. Between 1950 and 1952, the church added a children's chapel to the property as a gift of Mary Chichester du Pont Clark; the construction of the Chapel of the Christ Child is pictured here, as is the formal dedication. In 1957, vestibules and exterior side doors were added to the main church building, flanking the original front entrance; the collection contains photographs of their construction. Finally there are photographs of the ram statue added to the exterior entrance of the Chapel of the Christ Child in 1975, as well as color transparencies showing needlepoint kneelers and pew cushions added in 1983. In addition, a number of well-known parishioners are pictured, including Mr. and Mrs. Lammot du Pont Copeland, Mr. and Mrs. Dudley Clark, Mr. and Mrs. A. Felix du Pont, Henry Belin du Pont, Henry Francis du Pont, and Phyllis Mills Wyeth (Mrs. James Wyeth).
25-year time seal from the date of creation due to privacy/security reasons.
Litigators may not view the collection without approval.
Language of Materials
Christ Church Christiana Hundred records (Accession 2437), Manuscripts and Archives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
Finding Aid & Administrative Information
- Christ Church Christiana Hundred photographs
- Judy Stevenson and encoded by Chase Markee
- Description rules:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description:
- Script of description: