Found in 22 Collections and/or Records:
Alan Wood Steel Company and Upper Merion and Plymouth Railroad Company blueprint maps and stereograph
The Alan Wood Steel Company was a small, family-controlled integrated steel company. The Upper Merion & Plymouth Railroad connected all the elements of the Wood steel-making complex. The collection includes three blueprint maps showing the layout of industrial buildings at Alan Wood Steel Company and the track of the Upper Merion and Plymouth Railroad Company. Also in the collection is a stereograph featuring a blast furnace plant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Associated Factory Mutual Fire Insurance Companies comprised twenty-eight mutual insurance firms that specialized in industrial fire insurance. The collection consists of seventy original hand-colored plans and maps primarily depicting textile mills, paper products factories and foundries in New England and New York.
Consists of blueprints showing schematics of bus equipment including change holders, operators' trays, mirror arms, and waste receptacles. Bus engines, seating and standing arrangements, and various bus models are also represented. Maps largely show different bus routes with an emphasis on Southern Pennsylvania Bus Co.'s operations in Chester, Pa. Of particular notoriety is a large 1929 map that details every street railway and bus line from Delaware City, De., to Upper Darby, Pa., and a large book of real estate plans showing street railway properties in and around Wilmington.
Oliver Canby (1716-1754) was a miller on the Brandywine Creek. This collection of deeds and indentures documents the acquisition of mills or mill seats, and other lands near the Brandywine Creek in Wilmington, Delaware by the Canby family. This collection was in the possession and care of the Canby family until it was given to Hagley Museum and Library in 2011 by a descendant of Oliver Canby.
This item is a map of Delaware Park racetrack area showing property boundaries. Parking areas are identified. Buildings are numerically coded, but there is no corresponding key. William duPont, Jr. and Donald P. Ross designed and built Delaware Park Racetrack. Phillip T. Harris of Media, Pennsylvania was hired as the architectural engineer. The facility opened on June 26, 1937. Although the park closed briefly during the 1980s, over the years, it has expanded to include a full-service casino and other amenities
E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company is a chemical company commonly known as the DuPont Company. It was established in 1802, and began by manufacturing gunpowder, later moving to chemical compounds. The foundations for the Engineering Department were laid in 1902. The department’s purpose was to design and construct high explosives plants, design powder machinery, and create extensions to existing plants. These records consist of seven large blueprint maps showing property lines, utilities, and buildings in the area of the company's Brandywine Works in Wilmington, Delaware.
The Edge Moor Iron Company engaged in the manufacture of iron and steel bridges at a plant located on the Delaware River north of Wilmington. The collection is comprised of a limited selection of documents, primarily connected to the liquidation of the company in 1936. It includes plant and property maps, clippings, and deeds and titles covering the property.
Edith Marion DeBlois (1920-2000) was a native Canadian with an interest in foreign travel and a season pass to the Expo 67. Expo 67 was an international exposition that took place in in Montréal, Québec from April 27 to October 29, 1967 to celebrate Canada's centennial. The theme was "Man and his World." These materials were collected by DeBlois while attending Expo 67. This small collection includes many of the official guides and maps issued by the fair, as well as specialized pamphlets dealing with particular themes or exhibits. DeBlois also compiled a series of scrapbooks documenting her attendance at various exhibits and performances.
Epcot, the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, opened in 1982. It was conceived by Walt Disney to "take its cue from the new ideas and new technologies that are now emerging from the creative centers of American industry." This booklet is a guide to the attractions at Future World and the World Showcase at the EPCOT Center in Florida. It also includes advertising matter for Eastman Kodak Company disc and instant cameras. Eastman Kodak Company, commonly known as Kodak, is best known for photographic film products, which it produced throughout most of its history. In 1982, Kodak launched the Kodak Disc film format for consumer cameras
Frederick William Wood (1857-1943) was an executive and engineer in the steel and shipbuilding industries. His papers constitute a major source on the history of the American steel industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The papers are primarily official records of the various companies with which Wood was associated.
Alfred Victor du Pont (1798-1856), son of Sophie Madeleine Dalmas (1775-1828) and Eleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834), the founder of the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. He joined the company in 1818, after an explosion that killed thirty-three people. The maps in this collection depict the Hagley yard based on an 1834 survey done by du Pont.
Joseph T. Richards (1845-1933) was a career civil engineer with the Pennsylvania Railroad Company who participated in several of their large construction projects in the first decade of the twentieth century. The records consist of the contents of a small portfolio of documents relating to the construction of Pennsylvania Station and its associated yards and terminals.
Peter Arnold Karthaus (1765-1840) immigrated to the United States from Hamburg, Germany in 1796 and established a mercantile business in the West Branch of the Susquehanna River Valley. The collection documents Karthaus' mercantile business, land development in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, and his partnership with fellow German immigrant, Frederick W. Geissenhainer, a pioneer in using coal to smelt iron.
The Kennett Turnpike (Delaware Route 52) was built between 1811 and 1814 intended to provide a connection between Wilmington, Delaware and nearby areas in southeastern Pennsylvania, where it would connect to other turnpike leading to western Pennsylvania. The scale map shows the road and properties east of it including Mary Belin du Pont's (1839-1913) and Rising Sun Lane. The map was done by W.S. [William Smith] Morison (1866-1905).
This collection consists of photographs and maps depicting the property of the Brandywine Works of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. The maps and blueprints show how the property of the Brandywine Works was divided among du Pont family members for estates after the works closed. A small series of large-format photographs depict various scenes and events from the Brandywine Works and the city of Wilmington in general.
Montchanin is an unincorporated community located near Greenville, Delaware. It is named for Anne Alexandrine de Montchanin (1720-1756), mother of Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817), who was a French political economist and diplomat who emigrated to Delaware with his sons. The plat depicts the area between Brandywine Creek, Barley Mill Road, and Kennett Pike and includes 85 buildings and residents' names.
Penn Virginia Corporation was an oil and gas company, incorporated as the Virginia Coal & Iron Company on January 6, 1882. It was one of many firms established by a group of interrelated entrepreneurs headed by John Leisenring (1819-1884), a Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, civil and mining engineer. The name changed to Penn Virigina Corporation in 1967. The records of Penn Virginia Corporation cover the development and operations of the Virginia Coal & Iron Company, a large southern Appalachian land company, with some information on its immediate neighbors and local support facilities.
The Pennsylvania Indemnity Corporation was an automobile insurance company located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This item is a road atlas containing 32 pages of maps of the northeastern United States. Published by Rand McNally and Company.
Series V, Subseries A, consists of material from the files of the General Accounting Office of Pennsylvania Water & Power Company, which PP&L absorbed in 1955. Among the material included are annual reports to regulatory commissions such as the Federal Power Commission and Securities and Exchange Commission for Penn Water and its affiliates, Consolidated Gas, Electric Light & Power Company of Baltimore, and the Safe Harbor Water Power Corporation. Accordingly, there are financial and funds statements, indentures, contracts, and other financial documents in the series related to each company. Notably, there are power contracts made with the cities of Coatesville, Lancaster, and York, Pennsylvania, and the Pennsylvania Railroad. Also included are Penn Water directors and stockholders' minutes leading up to the merger with PP&L, as well as financial data, financial effects, and legal factors related to the merger. There is also correspondence and cost computations regarding the Conowingo hydroelectric facility. Subseries B is a small amount of maps, surveys, and charts kept by Penn Water primarily used for the Holtwood development. Of note is a copy of Benjamin Henry Latrobe's 1801 survey of the Susquehanna River.
This series contains 261 items, daing from 1917 to 2003, with the majority from the 1920s to 1960s. Box 137-145
The Road Maps series consists entirely of printed road maps, and has been organized into four subseries:
Numbered Highways- US Route numbers, such as US 40 or US 66.
Named Highways- Highways nicknames such as the Skyline Drive or Pacific Highway.
Service Station- Maps distributed by gas companies such as Esso, Mobil or Shell.
Margolies Research Maps- These AAA maps are marked with the route and dates of research trips that Margolies took.
In 1900 there were only eight thousand cars on American Roads. By 1912 the number had skyrocketed to nearly one million vehicles, the result in part of Henry Ford’s Model T putting automobility within the financial grasp of more people.
Maps specifically printed to show automobile routes began appearing in the early 1900s. Following World War I, when the states and then the federal government created broad scale highway numbering schemes, road maps replaced guidebooks as the motorists’ main source of travel information.
Gulf Oil Company was one of the first companies to produce free road maps for its customers in 1913. Other oil companies soon joined the fray. From 1914 to 1964, nearly five billion road maps were given out to the American public. In the 1960s, 200 million maps were distributed annually.
Margolies refers to the oil-company road map as “one of the great commercial artifacts of twentieth-century America.”
Related items: Hitting the road : the art of the American road map / Douglas A. Yorke and John Margolies ; design by Eric Baker Design Associates. San Francisco, Calif. : Chronicle Books, c1996.
Pump and circumstance : glory days of the gas station / John Margolies. Boston : Little, Brown, c1993.
Route 1 is a major north-south U.S. highway extending from Florida to Maine. The plat depicts a small portion of Route 1 between Hamorton and the Anvil Inn, including P.S. du Pont's (1870-1952) Longwood Gardens.
Wawaset Park was a planned community, commissioned by the DuPont Company for its company executives. The records describe the park, its residents, and history through corporate records, maps and deeds of the property, lists of corporate officers and residents, as well as histories of the park, the City of Wilmington, and the state of Delaware.