Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17

Bailey, Banks & Biddle records

 Collection
Accession: 2453
Abstract:

Bailey, Banks & Biddle (BB&B) was a renowned upscale jewelry firm that made and sold high quality merchandise in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The Bailey Banks & Biddle records were collected and maintained in-house as a combination of archival documents and historical research files and used primarily for public relations purposes. The collection primarily documents the sales and remounting of diamonds between 1879 and 1962.

Dates: 1832-2003; Majority of material found within 1880-1980

Barker, Rose & Kimball, "The Hardware Scrap Book"

 Collection
Accession: 2022-209
Abstract:

Rose, Kimball & Baxter, Inc. is a wholesale hardware distributor headquartered in Elmira, New York. This item is a scrapbook titled, "Full of Household Hints for the Whole Family," compiled by Barker, Rose & Kimball. It contains circulars that the store considered to be valuable resources for up-to-date hardware information.

Dates: 1928

C.N. Vicary's Clothing Store album

 Collection
Accession: 2015-296
Abstract:

Vicary’s Clothing Store was a men’s clothing store located in Canton, Ohio founded by C.N. (Charles Newell) Vicary (1858-1921) in 1905. This album contains brochures, reports, stock certificates and photographs of the clothing store and its employees. There are exterior views of the store front at various locations, interior views of the store showing different fixtures, different departments, including staff members in the store and individual portraits of staff members.

Dates: circa 1890-1950

Eastern Store Fixtures Corporation soda fountains and store interiors photographs

 Collection
Accession: 2006-215
Abstract:

The Eastern Store Fixtures Corporation was a manufacturer, supplier, and designer of fixtures and interiors for commercial establishments. The company was founded in or around 1953 by Louis Deitz (1919-2007) and was located at 19-21 South Orange Avenue in Newark, New Jersey. This collection consists of fifty one photographic prints showing soda fountains and store interiors presumably installed or supplied by the corporation.

Dates: circa 1957

F. Weber & Co. journal

 Collection
Accession: 2785
Abstract:

F. Weber & Company, Inc. is an American manufacturer and supplier of artists' materials. Ernest Gustav Weber (1888-1965) was owner Frederick Theodore Weber (1845-1919)'s son. After their father's death, Weber and his brother, Frederick William Weber (1890-1972), were business partners running the supply store. This item is Ernest Gustav Weber's journal. The journal contains income and expenses from 1905 and 1906. There are also some lists of correspondence, addresses, and travel information.

Dates: 1904-1906

Francis Bannerman Sons, Inc. photographs

 Collection
Accession: 1998-284
Abstract:

Francis Bannerman Sons was a major purveyor of military goods to sportsmen and collectors in New York City over three generations. The collection consists of miscellaneous photographs, negatives, postcards and ephemera pertaining to the weapons and military memorabilia business run by Francis Bannerman and to Bannerman's philanthropic and leisure activities.

Dates: circa 1900-1920

Greenwood Book Shop photographs

 Collection
Accession: 1999-221
Abstract:

The Greenwood Book Shop was an independent bookseller founded by Alice Steinlein (1880-1965) in 1920 after her husband died from tuberculosis. That same year, she hired Gertrude Kruse (1900-1981) as a clerk. Steinlein retired in 1945 and the business was eventually bought by Kruse. These photographs document the interior of the Greenwood Book Shop in the Delaware Trust Building, 917 Market Street, Wilmington, Delaware.

Dates: circa 1947

John Krider business records

 Collection
Accession: 0680
Abstract:

John Krider (1813-1886) was one of Philadelphia's most prominent gunsmiths during the nineteenth century. This collection consists of two bank books and a ledger.

Dates: 1850-1874

John Krider, gunsmith business records

 Collection
Accession: 0288
Abstract:

John Krider (1813-1886) was one of Philadelphia's most prominent gunsmiths during the nineteenth century. This collection consists of fifty-nine account books (1840-1939), including wage accounts (1853-1857), accounts for the repairs of guns (1904-1909), records of daily powder sales (1891-1893), and the treasurer's record for an unidentified gun club.

Dates: 1842-1939

Owl Drug Company album

 Collection
Accession: 2021-226
Abstract:

Owl Drug Company was a chain of apothecary retail stores that sold drugs and patent medicines at a reduced cost. The company also sold candy, soda, Kodak film, stationery, cosmetics, perfumes, and other toiletries. The first store opened in June 1892 at 1128 Market Street, San Francisco, California, advertised as the "Drug Palace of the Pacific Coast." The album consists of images of displays of items sold in the drug store, specifically the 5th and Broadway location in Los Angeles, which opened for business on January 2, 1904. The 5th and Broadway location was the fifth store of the company. The photographs are countertop and shop window merchandise displays. A few images consist of print advertisements and operational charts.

Dates: circa 1919-1925

Philadelphia Bookstore Store Company minute book

 Collection
Accession: 1331
Abstract:

Philadelphia Bookstore Company was a wholesale and retail bookseller incorporated in 1902 in New Jeresey. The store was located on the 1000 block of Race Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This item is one volume of meeting minutes dating from 1902 to 1903. By-laws are included.

Dates: 1902-1903

Soo Hardware Company records

 Collection
Accession: 2102
Abstract:

The Soo Hardware Company was a full-service hardware wholesale and retail store located in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. It carried a complete line of building materials, plumbing and electrical supplies, stoves and furnaces, major and minor domestic appliances, housewares, sporting goods, and bicycle and auto parts. The records consist of inbound correspondence received between the years 1911 and 1918. The bulk of the correspondence consists of sales letters and invoices from manufacturers and wholesalers, covering the wide range of semi-finished and manufactured goods sold by the Soo Hardware Company. A large number appear to be unsolicited mailings from salesmen, while others document a long working relationship.

Dates: 1911-1918

Strawbridge and Clothier photographs and audiovisual materials

 Collection
Accession: 1995-250
Abstract:

Strawbridge & Clothier was the last family-owned major department store chain in the Greater Philadelphia area. The store was founded as a partnership by Justus C. Strawbridge (1838-1911) and Isaac H. Clothier (1837-1921) on July 1, 1868 at 8th and Market Streets in Center City Philadelphia. This collection contains photographs, negatives, transparencies, lantern slides, glass negatives, slides, audio tapes, videotapes, and films from Strawbridge & Clothier. It is valuable to those researching all aspects of retail: history, architecture, department stores, shopping malls, employment, operations, promotion, advertising, fashion, and merchandising. Other topics include family-owned businesses, distinguished Quaker families, business response on the homefront during World War II, the Gallery and Market East, and Philadelphia and its environs. There are also proposal albums from the Pavlik Design Team of store design for the Cherry Hill, King of Prussia, and Willow Grove stores and from Neil/Carter Design Associates for Heritage Hall in the Market Street store.

Dates: 1878-1990

Strawbridge & Clothier records

 Collection
Accession: 2117
Scope and Content: The Strawbridge & Clothier records are not a complete corporate archive but rather a mix of corporate and legal documents and materials collected for a two-volume anniversary history. Nevertheless, they give a good overall picture of the evolution of retailing in the Philadelphia area, particularly in the twentieth century.The Corporate records include incorporation papers, board and committee minutes, and annual reports, which give an overall view of the firm's operations.The Management records are limited to very fragmentary correspondence of the corporate secretaries and president Herbert J. Tily. Much of it concerns bank financing, authorizations, and accounts. There are also executive payrolls (1931-1950), employment contracts for top executives, and notes on executive development programs.Financial and accounting records include fragmentary runs of journals and ledgers, including a sales ledger (1881) and a sales & salaries ledger (1903-1906); financial statements for S&C and the rival Lit Brothers chain; and tax papers.Legal records include trial records relative to the failed hostile takeover attempt made by Ronald Baron in 1985-1986. There are transcripts of testimony from the major parties on both sides. This subgroup also contains a variety of miscellaneous legal papers, including settlements with S&C's foreign offices and various suppliers in London, Paris, and Berlin (1921-1926); merchandising agreements with domestic and foreign manufacturers (1896-1907); and claims case files (1906 and 1911).Real estate records include title papers for the company's flagship store at 8th & Market Streets (1793-1922); contracts for store construction; and some plans for twentieth century construction. Four linear feet of store appraisals for the flagship store are detailed lists for insurance purposes of the store, its fixtures, and contents (1948-1970).Branch store records include plans, publicity articles, brochures, and scrapbooks, plus leases, mortgages, contracts, and insurance appraisals of store and contents for the following branch stores beginning in 1930: Ardmore, Jenkintown, Springfield, Neshaminy, Plymouth Meeting, and Exton, Pennsylvania; Cherry Hill and Echelon, New Jersey; and Wilmington and Christiana, Delaware. This subgroup documents the growth of suburban shopping strips and shopping malls during the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, including malls...
Dates: 1793-1996

Tee Vee Corp. photographs

 Collection
Accession: 2022-220
Abstract:

Tee Vee Corp. was a retail appliance store in California that sold televisions and other household appliances. This small set of photographs shows the Tee Vee Corp store's exterior and interior views.

Dates: 1950s

Wawa, Inc. Public Relations photographs and audiovisual materials

 Collection
Accession: 2008-212
Abstract:

Wawa is an American chain of convienence stores and gas stations located in the Middle Atlantic States and Florida, well-known for their made-to-order hoagies. The Wawa, Inc. Public Relations photographs and audiovisual materials primarily consists of photographic images and audio recordings of Wawa advertisements between 1994 and 2003 and video recordings intended for internal company communications for employee training, morale building, education, and communication of company policy; these are dated 1984 to 2008.

Dates: 1950-2008; Majority of material found within 1990-2003

Wawa Public Relations files

 Collection
Accession: 2401
Abstract:

Wawa is an American chain of convienence stores and gas stations located in the Middle Atlantic States and Florida, well-known for their made-to-order hoagies. The Wawa Public Relations files consists primarily of financial and operations records, advertising materials, Wawa product packaging, company newsletters, and press clippings.

Dates: 1950-2009; Majority of material found within 1964-2004

Filtered By

  • Subject: Stores, Retail X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Repository
Audiovisual Collections 9
Manuscripts and Archives 8
 
Subject
Advertisements 5
Firearms 3
Account books 2
Bookstores 2
Department stores 2
∨ more  
Names
Krider, John 2
Strawbridge & Clothier 2
Wawa, Inc 2
Bailey, Banks & Biddle Company (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Bannerman family 1