Banks and banking
Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:
Anna J. Schwartz (1915-2012) was an American economist who worked at the National Bureau of Economic Research in New York City. The collection consists of a microfilm copy of an unpublished paper by Schwartz collecting banking statistics for the states of Pennsylvania (1829-1863) and New York (1831-1863), along with an extended essay describing their derivation.
Founded in 1861, the Artisans Savings Bank of Wilmington, Delaware assisted working people to save and make money available for home mortgages. This collection primarily consists of their financial records.
Wilmington is the largest city in Delaware located on the Christiana and Brandywine Rivers. This collections contains four mounted photographic prints showing facades of Wilmington, Delaware, bank buildings
The Bank of Delaware was a statewide financial services company that was organized on June 1, 1795. It received its original charter on February 9, 1796, becoming the first bank in and of the State of Delaware. In 1865 it received a national charter under the National Banking Act and was renamed the National Bank of Delaware at Wilmington. It operated under this name until its 1930 failure and subsequent acquisition by the Security Trust Company. The name "Bank of Delaware" was revived by the successor company in 1958. The Bank of Delaware's holding company was merged into PNC Financial Corp. in 1989. The Bank of Delaware collection consists of minute books, stock certificate books, letter books, journals, and ledgers of the Bank of Delaware and nine of its predecessor, merged, and acquired financial institutions.
The Christiana Bank & Trust Company formed in 1992 to conduct a banking and trust business for Greenville, Delaware, and nearby communities in New Castle County, Delaware, and Chester County, Pennsylvania. The records include initial business and organizational plans, including stock offerings; annual reports; shareholder and directors lists; board minutes; quarterly financial reports, and documents covering the merger of the bank with National Penn Bancshares, Inc.
Elliott, Johnson & Co. was a well-known banking and brokerage firm of Wilmington, Delaware, in the late nineteenth century. Henry du Pont (1812-1889) was an American military officer and son of Eleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834), founder of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., and Sophie Madeleine Dalmas du Pont (1775-1828). The collection consists of two letters from Elliott, Johnson & Co. regarding the purchase of bonds in two Florida railroads, the Sanford & Lake Eustis Railroad Company and the Jacksonville, Tampa & Key West Railway Company.
In 1811, Girard's Bank was established in the former First Bank of the United States headquarters in order to maintain adequate banking facilities for Philadelphia. This manuscript lists all of the stockholders of the Girard Bank as of October 22, 1839.
Grace S. Stoermer (1886-1961) was Assistant Vice President of Bank of America and a civic leader in the city of Los Angeles. This small collection of materials from Stoermer's career as a banking executive in southern California in the early twentieth century includes photographs, magazine articles, and ephemera.
Henry S. Leverich (1804-1885), along with his brothers, was a merchant and financier in New York City. The checkbook contains annotated stubs for checks drawn on the Merchants' Bank in the City of New York and several blank checks.
The Institute for Financial Literacy (IFL) is a nonprofit organization that promotes financial education and counseling for adults and children and has historically provided financial counseling, programs, and services. Founded in 2002, it sets the National Standards for Adult Financial Literacy Education, hosts the Annual Conference on Financial Education, presents the Excellence In Financial Literacy Education (EIFLE) Awards, and administers financial certifications. This collection consists of the organization’s administrative files, records pertaining to the management and distribution of the EIFLE Awards, and a portion of the Library of Personal Finance. The records document its administrative activities from its founding through 2014. It presents a valuable resource to anyone researching the development and evolution of financial literacy education in the United States from the 1970s through the 2010s.
Philadelphia Saving Fund Society (PSFS), the nation's first mutual savings bank, was founded in 1816. In 1927 the Society commissioned Howe and Lescaze, a local architectural firm that had previously designed traditional style banks for the institution, to draw up plans for a new building to be constructed at the corner of 12th and Market Streets. This collection is composed of materials from two Philadelphia mutual savings banks which date from the first half of the nineteenth century. The collection has been divided into two series: Philadelphia Saving Fund Society (PSFS) and Western Savings Fund Society (WSFS) which was merged with PSFS in 1982. A significant part of the collection consists of photographs of bank buildings represented by traditional styles and in later years by contemporary suburban sites. The American banking industry has usually conducted business in formal bank buildings. The styles of these buildings have changed with passing fashions of architectural taste. This collection provides a good visual record of these developments.
Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) was a French political economist, writer, publisher, and public administrator. In 1800, accompanied by his sons, Victor Marie du Pont (1767-1827) and Eleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834), he arrived in America. Du Pont de Nemours and his sons established the commission house of Du Pont de Nemours, Père et Fils & Cie. in New York. In 1800, Victor Marie du Pont established a trading company, Victor du Pont de Nemours & Co. This small collection consists of two letters regarding finances of business affairs.
Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) was a French political economist, writer, publisher, and public administrator. He was an advocate for a national educational system and promoted Franco-American trade relations. The collection consists of Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours correspondence and writings in addition to correspondence of his second wife, Françoise (Robin) Poivre.
The Stockly/Stockley family were merchants and bankers in Smyrna, Delaware, during the nineteenth century. The family papers consist primarily of account books for various Stockly enterprises, recording shipments of grain, barley, and hides between Delaware and Philadelphia.
Walter E. Trabbold (1921- ) was vice president of the Bank of Delaware from 1968 to 1981, and spent forty-one years in the banking industry. He was a pioneer in bank automation, bank information systems, and cash management systems. The papers include Trabbold's personal collection of technical bulletins, annual reports, correspondence, several of his publications on the banking industry, as well as newspaper clippings and other material related to data and information management systems related to banking.
William du Pont, Sr. (1855-1928) was an industrialist and member of the prominent du Pont family of Delaware, whose family business was the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, also known as the DuPont Company which was a large manufacturer of gunpowder. He worked for the first DuPont dynamite manufacturer, Repauno Chemical Company, as secretary and treasurer (1880-1884) and after the tragic death of Lammot du Pont (1831-1884), as president (1884-1892). William du Pont, Jr. was the youngest child of du Pont, Sr. and Annie Rogers Zinn du Pont (1858-1827). Du Pont Jr. became the president of Delaware Trust Company in 1929, the youngest bank president in Wilmington at that time. In 1952, he became chairman of the board, retaining both positions until his death in 1965. The William du Pont family papers are organized into two record groups: William du Pont, Sr. papers and William du Pont, Jr. papers. The William du Pont, Sr. papers primarily encompass the years of his active business life from the early 1880s to his death in 1928. There are also some papers from his early life and after his death. The William du Pont, Jr. papers document areas of his activities predominantly concerned with land development in Wilmington, Delaware; farming, animal breeding and foxhunting in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia; and promotion of horse racing in the United States, especially in Delaware.
William du Pont (1855-1928) was an industrialist and member of the promienent du Pont family of Delaware, whose family business was the E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, also known as the DuPont Company which was a large manufacturer of gunpowder. He worked for the first DuPont dynamite manufacturer, Repauno Chemical Company, as secretary and treasurer (1880-1884) and after the tragic death of Lammot du Pont (1831-1884), as president (1884-1892). This small group of papers encompass both correspondence and various financial and investment accounts, largely covering his ten years spent in England after leaving the United States in 1893.
The Wilmington Savings Fund Society was established in 1831 as a "safe depository for the earnings of working people" which also promoted the opportunity for homebuilding and lending money for home mortgages. Their records consist primarily of minutes and account books.
The Wilmington Trust Company is a financial institution that was started as a banking, trust, and safe deposit company for the du Pont family and other Delaware wealthy families. It is now a subsidiary of M & T Bank. The records contain some information on the workings of the Trust Department, but are more useful for the information they contain on the individual companies in which the department invested. It includes account reviews, responsibility reviews, and security reviews, but is largely investment analysis files, by company.