Showing Collections: 1 - 16 of 16
Abstract: The Brandywine Manufacturers Sunday School (BMSS) was organized in 1817 as a non-sectarian school for the children of the local factory workers, with instruction in reading, writing, arithmetic, and religion. Éleuthère Irénée du Ponts (1771-1834), founder of the DuPont Company, was one of its chief subscribers, and the school building was located on his property. Primarily generated and maintained by the du Pont women, the BMSS records include the school's constitution, and financial records such as bills and receipts and accounts. Most of the records pertain to students with information about premiums which were given as rewards for attendance and scholarly excellence.
Abstract: Peter Bauduy (1769?-1833) and E.I. du Pont (1771-1834) were partners in several business ventures together, including Du Pont, Bauduy, & Co., a textile manufacturing firm and E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. The collection includes an official certified copy of the articles of agreement between Bauduy and du Pont, forming a partnership for the powder manufacturing company that would become E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company.
Abstract: Peter Bauduy (1769?-1833) and E.I. du Pont (1771-1834) were partners in several business ventures together, including Du Pont, Bauduy, & Co. (a textile manufacturing firm) and E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. The collection contains photocopied notes from Judge Jacob Stout (1765-1855) made during an appeal in the case of E.I. du Pont and Victor du Pont v. Peter Bauduy, et al., cocnerning the sale of certain mill seats on the Brandywine River near Wilmington.
Abstract: Eleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834) was the founder of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. The collection contains original love letters from du Pont to his wife, Sophie (Dalmas) du Pont (1775-1828). He writes of how much he loves his wife and misses her when away. English transcribed extracts of several letters were done by their daughter, Sophie Madeleine du Pont (1810-1888).
Abstract: E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company is a chemical company more commonly referred to as the DuPont Company. The company was established in 1802 by Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) and his son Éleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834) for the production of gunpowder. The papers in this collection date from the lifetime of E.I. du Pont and document important aspects of the early history of the DuPont Company.
Abstract: Éleuthère Irénée du Pont de Nemours (1771–1834) was a French American chemist and industrialist who founded the gunpowder manufacturer, E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company. This ledger documents his accounts current between the years 1814 and 1818.
Abstract: This collection primarily consists of E.I. du Pont's personal and business correspondence; writings and notes; school materials; memoranda on manufactures and tariffs; legal agreements; patents; and land surveys. Also included are Sophie (Dalmas) du Pont's correspondence and household account records.
Abstract: Eleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834), with his father Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817), was the founder of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. This collection includes his recipts for hotel and livery stable bills.
Abstract: Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) was a French political economist, writer, publisher, and public administrator. He was an advocate for a national educational system and promoted Franco-American trade relations. This is a printed copy of the third edition of La philosophie de l'univers (The Philosophy of the Universe), written by du Pont de Nemours in 1799, redated to 1814, with numerous revisions and additions in the form of annotations and interleavings. It is much more introspective than earlier editions and reveals a good deal about du Pont de Nemours' worldview as he was approaching the end of his life. The revised text is part philosophy and part memoir and includes long sections about death, religion, gender, and reincarnation that were not present in earlier editions.
Dates: 1799; 1814
"Love for life: a self-portrait of the first three generations of du Ponts in America, 1791-1834" by Gertrude Ruhnka
Abstract: Gertrude Ruhnka (1891-1981) was a research librarian at the Huntington Library in California. The collection contains her unpublished manuscript, "Love for life: a self-portrait of the first three generations of du Ponts in America, 1791-1834," and two letters from Ruhnka to J.B. Lippincott Company and Dr. Walter J. Heacock of the Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation.
Abstract: Peter Bauduy (1769?-1833), a French refugree from Santo Domingo, was a partner of E.I. du Pont in several business ventures. Bauduy had resigned fro E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company and brought suit in 1816 to dissolve the firm and distribute its assets. The collection includes microfilm copies of Delaware Court of Chancery's "general reference files" regarding the case as well as files for Victor du Pont vs. Merritt H. Paxson.
Abstract: Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) was a French political economist, writer, publisher, and public administrator. His son, Eleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834), established E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., a black powder manufacturer, on the Brandywine River in Delaware. The collection contains photocopies of three letters of du Pont de Nemours du Pont to Etienne Alexandre Jacques Anisson du Perron (1749-1794) and Alexandre Brongniart (1770-1847). The letters concern printing, natural sciences, and requesting scientific journals and bulletins.
Dates: 1791; 1801; 1802
Abstract: Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) was a French political economist, writer, publisher, and public administrator. In 1800, accompanied by his sons, Victor Marie du Pont (1767-1827) and Eleuthère Irénée "E.I." du Pont (1771-1834), he arrived in America. In 1802, E.I. du Pont established E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, which began manufacturing gunpowder. This item is a letter written to President Thomas Jefferson about du Pont de Nemours' son, E.I. du Pont, as a gunpowder manufacturer and requesting Jefferson's opinon on the matter of refining saltpetre.
Dates: 1801 July 23
Abstract: Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) was a French political economist, writer, publisher, and public administrator. He was an advocate for a national educational system and promoted Franco-American trade relations. The collection consists of Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours correspondence and writings in addition to correspondence of his second wife, Françoise (Robin) Poivre.
Abstract: Samuel Francis du Pont (1803-1865) was an Admiral in the United States Navy and fought in the Mexican-American War and the Civil War. He was the fourth child and second surviving son of Victor Marie du Pont (1767-1827) and his wife, Gabrielle Joséphine de la Fite de Pelleport (1770-1837). The letter to Senator James A. Bayard (1799-1880) is upon arrival of the USS Minnesota, which was commanded by du Pont, in Hong Kong.
Dates: 1857 November 25
- Names: Du Pont, Eleuthère Irénée, 1771-1834 X
- Correspondence 7
- Gunpowder industry 5
- France -- Politics and government 3
- Trial and arbitral proceedings 3
- Account books 2
- Agriculture 2
- France -- History -- Revolution, 1789-1799 2
- Land speculation 2
- Merino sheep 2
- Receipts (Financial records) 2
- Saltpeter 2
- Agreements 1
- Banks and banking 1
- Biography 1
- Botany 1
- Church and education 1
- Cotton manufacture 1
- Courtship 1
- Education 1
- Enslaved people -- United States 1
- Explosives industry 1
- France -- Economic conditions 1
- France -- Foreign relations 1
- Horticulture 1
- Industrial relations 1
- Manufactures 1
- Physiocrats 1
- Powder mills 1
- Printing industry 1
- Religious education 1
- Scholarships 1
- Ships 1
- Social history 1
- Steamboats 1
- Tariff -- United States 1
- Textile industry 1
- Toll roads 1
- United States -- History -- War of 1812 1
- United States. Navy -- Officers 1
- Women authors, American 1
- Wool industry 1
- Writing 1 ∧ less
- English 12
- French 5
- Du Pont family 9
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company 9
- Du Pont de Nemours, Pierre Samuel, 1739-1817 6
- Du Pont, Victor Marie, 1767-1827 5
- Bauduy, Peter, 1769-1833 4
- Du pont, Sophie Dalmas, 1775-1828 3
- Du Planty, Raphael Defredot, 1776-1854 2
- Du Pont de Nemours, Pere et Fils & Cie 2
- Du Pont, Bauduy & Company 2
- Du Pont, Josephine de la Fite de Pelleport, 1770-1837 2
- Du Pont, Sophie Madeleine, 1810-1888 2
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826 2
- McCall, Archibald, 1767-1843 2
- Victor & Charles I. du Pont & Company 2
- American Sunday-School Union 1
- Bauduy, Victorine du Pont, 1792-1861 1
- Bayard, James A. (James Asheton), 1799-1880 1
- Bidermann, Evelina du Pont, 1796-1863 1
- Bidermann, Jacques Antoine, 1751-1817 1
- Bidermann, James Antoine, 1790-1865 1
- Brandywine Manufacturers Sunday School 1
- Cazenove, Theophile, 1740-1811 1
- Chaptal, Jean-Antoine-Claude, comte de Chanteloup, 1756-1832 1
- Christ Church Christiana Hundred (Greenville, DE) 1
- Christ Church Christiana Hundred Sunday School 1
- Cruger, Bertram P. (Bertram Peter), 1774-1854 1
- Du Planty, McCall & Company 1
- Du Pont de Nemours, Francoise Robin Poivre, 1748-1841 1
- Du Pont, Alfred Victor, 1798-1856 1
- Du Pont, Charles I. (Charles Irénée), 1797-1869 1
- Du Pont, Eleuthera Bradford, 1873-1953 1
- Du Pont, Samuel Francis, 1803-1865 1
- Du Pont, Victor, 1828-1888 1
- Duane, William, 1760-1835 1
- Dutilh, Etienne, 1748-1810 1
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Victoria Plant 1
- Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790 1
- Girard, Anthony 1
- Holland Land Company 1
- Lavoisier, Antoine Laurent, 1743-1794 1
- Manigault, Gabriel, 1758-1809 1
- McLane, Louis, 1786-1857 1
- Moustier, Eleonore-Francois-Elie, 1751-1817 1
- Necker, Jacques, 1732-1804 1
- Ruhnka, Gertrude, 1891-1981 1
- Smith, Eleuthera du Pont, 1806-1876 1
- United States. Navy 1
- Young, William, 1755-1829 1 ∧ less