skip to searchskip to content
banner
DuPont Corfam® photographs
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
DuPont Corfam® photographs

Accession 2011.206

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
askhagley@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-12-01T09:43-0500

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, DuPont Corfam® photographs (Accession 2011.206), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: DuPont Corfam® photographs
Dates: 1964
Accession Number: 2011.206
Creator: E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Fabrics and Finishes Department.
Extent: 36 images
Physical Description: 36 photographic prints : b&w ; 8.5 x 11 in. or smaller
Location: GL Box 1
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Abstract: Corfam® was a synthetic substitute for leather. Collection consists of photographs related to the development and manufacture of DuPont's Corfam® synthetic leather at the Newburgh, New York Corfam® pilot plant and research facility.
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

icon

Historical Note

Corfam® was a synthetic substitute for leather. Around 1950, DuPont's Newburgh, New York Fabrikoid laboratory began working on a non-woven fabric that would be a true leather substitute. Subsequently, the Fabrics and Finishes, Film, and Central Research Department worked competitively on the problem, until the company selected the Fabrics and Finishes approach for commercial development. This was a heat-shrunk, needle-punched, non-woven web of Dacron polyester fiber, impregnated with an elastic polyurethane binder and top-coated with microporous polyurethane that was marketed under the trademark Corfam® beginning in 1965. Corfam® was produced in a variety of colors and textures for shoe-upper leathers and artificial suede. However, the productions processes were complex and costs high, and the product did not find favor with consumers, who found Corfam® shoes less comfortable and porous. DuPont terminated production in 1972, but licensed the technology to Poland.

icon

Scope and Content

Collection consists of photographs related to the development and manufacture of DuPont's Corfam® synthetic leather at the Newburgh, New York Corfam® pilot plant and research facility. Captioned public relations photographs show raw Corfam® poromeric material; shoes, luggage, and other products made from Corfam® and laboratory demonstrations of Corfam's breathability and water-resistance. There are also photographs from of DuPont's Old Hickory, Tennessee plant, where the company constructed a full-scale facility for the manufacture of Corfam®. These photos include an aerial view of the Old Hickory plant and an organizational chart of the Corfam® division of Old Hickory.

A number of individuals involved in the production of Corfam® are pictured in this collection; these include Charles A. Lynch, John Nikolich, William D. Lawson, Clement W. Theobald, Ellsworth K. Holden, Robert E, Fay, John A. Klacsman, Hal Heibowitz, James S. Allen, Karl E. Ackley, and H. Franklin Redmile.

icon

Access Points

Corfam (Artificial leather).
Holden, E.K. (Ellsworth K.), 1925-1991.
Leather, Artificial.
Shoes.
Suede.
Women's shoes.
icon