Quaker Lace Company photographs

Accession 1995.295

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
askhagley@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2015-07-17T09:26-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Quaker Lace Company photographs (Accession 1995.295), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Quaker Lace Company photographs
Dates: 1953, circa 1970
Accession Number: 1995.295
Creator: International Silver Company. Quaker Lace Company.
Extent: 4 photographic prints
Physical Description: 4 photographic prints : b&w ; 8x10 in. 2 items ; letter and press release.
Location: GL Box 2.
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Abstract: Quaker Lace Company was founded by Joseph H. Bromley (1800-1883) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1894. The firm was well known for manufacturing fine lace tablecloths, and during the 1950s, the White House was a customer. Various independent New England silversmiths came together and formed the International Silver Company in 1898. This collection includes three photographs of Quaker Lace tablecloths with one of them accompanied by a letter from the White House. Another photograph is of silverplate and stainless forks along with a press release from the International Silver Company.
[Return to Top]
icon
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

[Return to Top]
icon

Historical Note

Quaker Lace Company was founded by Joseph H. Bromley (1800-1883) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1894. The textile mill, located at Fourth and Lehigh Streets in Philadelphia, was originally incorporated as Lehigh Manufacturing Company. As the company expanded in the early twentieth century, the name was changed to Quaker Lace Co. The firm was well known for manufacturing fine lace tablecloths, and during the 1950s, the White House was a customer. Business began to decline in the 1960s, and in 1993, it declared bankruptcy and was liquidated the following year.

Various independent New England silversmiths came together and formed the International Silver Company in 1898. Other companies were bought and it soon became a large industrial concern. In 1984, Katy Industries bought International and changed its name to Wallace International Silversmiths. Two years later a subsidiary of Syratech purchased the company.

[Return to Top]
icon

Scope and Content

One photograph taken in the White House shows a 352 x 83 inch Quaker Lace tablecloth on a table set for a tea. This is accompanied with a letter dated 1953 regarding Mrs. Eisenhower's order. Two photos show Quaker Lace tablecloths with silver trays of caviar; these appear to have been taken for advertisements (circa 1970). There is a photo of six silverplate and stainless forks accompanied with an undated press release from the International Silver Company (circa 1970s).

[Return to Top]
icon
[Return to Top]
icon

Access Points

Lace and lacemaking.
Silver-plated ware.
Tablecloths.
White House (Washington, D.C.).
[Return to Top]
icon