skip to searchskip to content
banner
Delaware Park racetrack map
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Delaware Park racetrack map

Accession 1994.232

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
askhagley@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2015-05-20T13:36-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Delaware Park racetrack map (Accession 1994.232), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Delaware Park racetrack map
Dates: 1953
Accession Number: 1994.232
Creator: Delaware Steeplechase and Race Association.
Extent: 1.0 map
Physical Description: 1 map ; 31 X 58 in.
Location: GL Box 2.
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Abstract: This item is a map of Delaware Park racetrack area showing property boundaries. Parking areas are identified. Buildings are numerically coded, but there is no corresponding key. William duPont, Jr. and Donald P. Ross designed and built Delaware Park Racetrack. Phillip T. Harris of Media, Pennsylvania was hired as the architectural engineer. The facility opened on June 26, 1937. Although the park closed briefly during the 1980s, over the years, it has expanded to include a full-service casino and other amenities
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

icon

Historical Note

William duPont, Jr. and Donald P. Ross designed and built Delaware Park Racetrack. Phillip T. Harris of Media, Pennsylvania was hired as the architectural engineer. The facility opened on June 26, 1937. The original Delaware Park facilities consisted of an open-air, 7,500 seat grandstand with an innovative tiered Clubhouse/Turf Club on the upper level. The track itself was a one-mile dirt oval with a pair of steeplechase turf courses. The backstretch contained stables for over 1,200 horses. In 1958, the Park was expanded to include a new clubhouse and the enlargement of the grandstand, resulting in the doubling of the seating capacity. Televisions were added and the winner's circle was built. Successes stabilized and remained consistent throughout the next few decades. Because of competition and disinterest in horse racing, Delaware Park officially closed its doors on September 6, 1982. The track reopened in the spring of 1984. In 1994, under the direction of the Delaware State Lottery, legislation was enacted to introduce slot machines at Delaware Park. In 2010, the legislature brought forth an official bill legalizing live table gaming and June 18, 2010 marked the first day of Delaware Park's full-fledged casino operation.

icon

Scope and Content

This map is of Delaware Park racetrack area showing property boundaries from Old Capital Trail on the north to the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad tracks at the south. Parking areas are identified. Buildings are numerically coded, but there is no corresponding key.

icon

Access Points

Delaware Park (Stanton, Del.). -- General subdivision--Maps.;
Maps
icon