Bridge construction industry
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Photographs related to Bethlehem Fabrication include a small quantity of plant views. There are more photographs showing projects: bridges (Chesapeake Bay, George Washington, Golden Gate, Niagara Suspension Bridge, Oakland Bay), buildings (including the John Hancocok in Boston, the Hoover Library at Stanford University, and the U.S. Courthouse and Municipal Auditorium in Buffalo, the Hall of Justice in San Francisco) and dams (Bonneville, Boulder, Grand Coulee) and the Ferris wheel at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893.
The Edge Moor Iron Company engaged in the manufacture of iron and steel bridges at a plant located on the Delaware River north of Wilmington. The collection is comprised of a limited selection of documents, primarily connected to the liquidation of the company in 1936. It includes plant and property maps, clippings, and deeds and titles covering the property.
Helen Sellers Garrett (1857-1946) was one of Wilmington's pioneer businesswomen and served as president of the Labor Commission of Delaware. She was the daughter of one of the Edge Moor Iron Company's founders and granddaughter of abolitionist Thomas Garrett (1789-1871). The collection contains a carbon typescript report of the lawsuit of Helen S. Garrett vs. Edge Moor Iron Company, including financial statements.
There are relatively few surviving records from McClintic-Marshall. A report prepared for the merger with Bethlehem analyzes the company's performance since 1900 as compared with construction industry trends. The other records all come from the Pottstown Plant. The most interesting is a daily report of output and costs (1900-1904) which included the number of men working, hours worked, average wage rates, cost per ton, etc.
The remaining material originates from the McClintic-Marshall Corporation, which was formed from the charter of the old Midvale Steel Company in 1931. These include numerous agreements and correspondence regarding the contract bid for the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge and for the Huey P. Long Bridge in New Orleans, Louisiana. There is also a full run of Directors’ and Stockholders’ minutes that end with the company’s merger into Bethlehem Steel.
Files pertaining to the bid on Golden Gate Bridge Contract 1-A include information regarding the initial proposal to the Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District and correspondence to Bethlehem Steel Vice President Robert McMath with reference to various financial issues and concerns regarding qualification to do business in California. There is also information on construction delays, as well as material on the concerns and arguments over whether the installation of safety nets for workers might increase accidents. Newspaper clippings on the failure of a safety net that killed ten workers in February 1937 are included. Additionally, there is information pertaining to the Industrial Accident Commission’s order that safety nets be utilized until all work on the bridge was completed. Other issues are discussed, including primer and paint to be used and contract amendments and extensions. Similar documents are included in the correspondence for the bid on the Huey P. Long Bridge Contract Number 6 covering the construction of a superstructure of approaches over the Mississippi River. However, topics discussed are limited mostly to information about mortgages and bonds, as well as issues related to the contract.
McClintic-Marshall made structural steel which was used in the building and bridge trades. McClintic-Marshall Construction Company became a Bethlehem Steel Corporation subsidiary in 1931. There are illustrated trade catalogs and booklets, and an album documenting the relocation of a Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) bridge.
The Phoenix Iron and Steel Company began in the late eighteenth century as a manufacturer of cut nails. It later became a major producer of railroad rails and iron and steel structural members. It operated as the Phoenix Iron and Steel Company from 1950 to 1959, when it was reorganized as the Phoenix Steel Corporation. This small collection primarily consists of a sample of letters received by president Samuel J. Reeves (1872-1878), primarily concerned with the Girard Avenue Bridge contract. There is also a volume of annual reports by the superintendent and a company history written by Catherine S. Sisto in 1950.
The Phoenix Steel Company began in the late eighteenth century as a manufacturer of cut nails. It later became a major producer of railroad rails and iron and steel structural members. Their records include minutes (1856-1929); stock ledgers; brief of title papers and property maps; legal and financial correspondence and tax papers; account books; and a works diary.