Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a voluntary public work relief program that ran from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men ages 18 to 25, eventually expanded to ages 17 to 28. Considered by many to be one of the most successful of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal programs, the CCC planted more than three billion trees and constructed trails and shelters in more than 800 parks nationwide during its nine years of existence. Company 1218's main camp was in Proctorsville, Vermont, known as Camp Proctor, Camp No. 2194 in Proctor-Piper State Forest. This company built roads, a picnic area, and ski and bridle trails, which are depicted in this album. The company also worked on Project No. MC-73 Dias Creek in Cape May, New Jersey, in August 1935, photographs of which also appear in the album. Most of the images show young workers together at work and during leisure time.
Penn Virginia Corporation was an oil and gas company, incorporated as the Virginia Coal & Iron Company on January 6, 1882. It was one of many firms established by a group of interrelated entrepreneurs headed by John Leisenring (1819-1884), a Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, civil and mining engineer. The name changed to Penn Virigina Corporation in 1967. The records of Penn Virginia Corporation cover the development and operations of the Virginia Coal & Iron Company, a large southern Appalachian land company, with some information on its immediate neighbors and local support facilities.
William Corbit Spruance (1873-1935) was an electrical engineer and Vice President in Charge of Production at E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. His wife, Alice Moore Lea Spruance (1876-1967), was a member of a Wilmington, Delaware, flour-milling dynasty. Spruance family miscellany contains threes letters, two regarding a forestry bill and one a thank you letter. Additionally, there are two copies of a newspaper article titled "This was the Civil War".
The Masonite Corporation was a construction and interior design company established in 1925 by William H. Mason (1877-1940) as the Mason Fibre Co. This item is a sponsored public relations film by the Masonite Corporation about their advanced production of wood products that are "wood better than wood." The technology of wood and creative industrial process of creating 'hardwood,' siding, panelling, and a great range of products.