Hydroelectric power plants
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Albert Lawrence "Larry" Luther (1895-1966) was a powerhouse operator for Southern California Edison Co. (SCE), a utility company that in 1917 merged with Pacific Light and Power Corporation. The centerpiece of the merger transferred ownership of the Big Creek hydroelectric project to SCE. Big Creek eventually became one of the world's largest hydroelectric projects. Luther's photograph album is from his time working for Southern California Edison Co. during the Big Creek hydroelectric project between 1917 and 1920. The images depict work and leisure, with captions written by Luther between 1917 and 1920.
The Fitz Water Wheel Company specialized in the manufacture of water wheels and small power plants, although it also manufactured grain dryers and blowers. John Fitz (1847-1914), who succeeded his father as head of the firm, developed the modern steel overshot water wheel. These photographic prints are transfers from the Fitz Water Wheel Company manuscript collection. They document different residential and commercial sites where Fitz Water wheels were installed.
Campbell Waterwheel Company specialized in traditional water wheels and how they could be used as esthetic elements in the landscape. Consequently, much of the company's work was for decorative power plants for private estates or for historic restorations. The collection consists of graphic materials related to J.B. Campbell and the Campbell Water Wheel Company. The bulk of the collection contains photographs of company projects, arranged alphabetically by client or contractor name. These include views of water wheels, turbines, and water supply systems during various stages of installation. There are also views of mills, dams, flumes, hydroelectric power plants, irrigation gates, swimming pools, and hydraulic machinery.
The Niagara Falls Power Company began in 1890, the power plant harnessed waterpower to deliver electricity to Buffalo, New York. The company's two power stations were closed after more than sixty years of service in 1961. This collection's photographs document the erection of wooden poles for power transmission lines between Niagara Falls and Buffalo. There are also interiors and exteriors of power hosues and transformer buildings.
The Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. is an energy utility and transmission distributer based in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Arising from a business merger, the company was founded on June 4, 1920, and soon after began providing energy to eastern and central Pennsylvania. Renamed PP&L Corporation circa 1995, the company continues to operate as an energy provider within northeastern Pennsylvania. The collection consists primarily of photographs that depict sites of various PP&L subsidiaries and those directly operated by the company. It is a resource that can be used for insight into PP&L's early operations and eastern and central Pennsylvania industrial development. Images within this collection range from 1920 to 1973. Researchers interested in electric power transmission and its development within the state of Pennsylvania would find this collection useful.
Pennsylvania Power & Light Company formed in 1920 through the consolidation of eight electric utilities companies serving central and eastern Pennsylvania. The collection primarily includes corporate papers documenting the company’s acquisition of various competing electric companies in the early-to-mid twentieth century by way of franchise building, market research and corporate communications, hydroelectric development through studies and surveys on Pennsylvania’s waterways, and material documenting the company’s various power plants in central eastern Pennsylvania. Financial and accounting records of the Pennsylvania Water & Power Company, which PP&L acquired in 1955, are also included.
Pennsylvania Water & Power Company was established to store, transport, and generate water power for both commercial and manufacturing purposes. The Holtwood facility outside of Lancaster, Pennsylvania was the first power plant to have both a hydroelectric generator and a coal power generator. The company was originally called McCall’s Ferry Power Co. and founded in 1905. This small collection consists of photographs that depict the progress of several construction projects at the Holtwood and Safe Harbor plants. Most of these images date from 1951 to 1954, well after the original construction of both sites.
The Pennsylvania Water & Power Company formed in 1910 to finish construction of the Holtwood hydroelectric facility along the lower Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. The company achieved numerous advancements in hydroelectric and steam power development in the early twentieth century, and helped bring about the electrification of Baltimore and, later, much of the Chesapeake and eastern Pennsylvania area. The records largely consist of correspondence to and from Pennsylvania Water & Power's chief engineer and later president, John Abbet Walls, and other company heads relating to operations, customers, dam construction, and numerous subjects associated with the hydroelectric industry.
The Philadelphia Electric Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania on October 31, 1929, as a merger of The Philadelphia Electric Company (incorporated in Pa. on October 27, 1902), the Philadelphia Suburban-Counties Gas & Electric Company, and three other small utility companies. It is the primary gas and electric company for Philadelphia, its surrounding counties and Cecil and Harford Counties in northeastern Maryland. Their records consist of microfilm copies of the minute books of about 150 of the predecessor companies of the Philadelphia Electric Company.