Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company was established in 1802 by Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) and his son Éleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834). This collection of more than 1250 discrete photographs depicts the landscape and buildings at or near the company's explosives manufacturing plants along Brandywine Creek near Wilmington, Delaware. Approximately 900 images depict powder yard sites, including the DuPont Experimental Station, either during the mills' final decades of operation or prior to, during, and after excavation and restoration work on the site in the 1950s and 1960s. Most of the remaining images depict the worker communities which surrounded the powder yards.
In 1902, DuPont took control of Laflin & Rand, including the Haskell Works. Infallible and Ballistite powders were manufactured there. The works played an important role in smokeless powder production during World War I. The panoramic photographs depict views of the Du Pont Company's smokeless powder works in Haskell, New Jersey and the workers village nearby.
- Brandywine Creek (Pa. and Del.) 1
- Gunpowder, Smokeless 1
- Haskell (N.J.) 1
- Henry Clay (Del. : Village) 1
- Panoramic photographs 1
- Brandywine Manufacturers Sunday School 1
- Dick, John A., 1879-1972 1
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Brandywine Works 1
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Experimental Station 1
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Hagley Yard 1