Archmere Academy drawingsCreation: 1930-1939
Archmere Academy is a private college preparatory school founded in 1932 on the former John J. Raskob (1879-1950) estate in Claymont, Delaware. The collection contains architectual drawings of various floors, bathrooms, and other rooms in the Academy.
- Creation: 1930-1939
- Archmere Academy (Organization)
Archmere Academy is a private college preparatory school founded in 1932 on the former John J. Raskob (1879-1950) estate in Claymont, Delaware.
In 1873, George Troutman (1813-1901) purchased the land on which the present Archmere Academy is situated. He named the parcel "Archmere," after a natural arch formed by trees along the Delaware River. After Troutman's death, his daughter, Virginia Smith (1835-1913), sold the property, which consisted of approximately seventy acres, to Raskob for $27,000. Improvements were made upon the two-and-one-half-story Gothic Revival Mansion House of 1840 and the Raskob's moved in on August 1, 1910. After their fourth child was born in Mansion House, it became apparent that the Raskobs needed a larger residence. It was decided to raze Mansion House and construct a larger residence on that site overlooking the river. On February 2, 1916, the Raskobs temporarily relocated to Woodsedge, an adjacent property which was purchased from Ida Carr Addicks (1850-1931). The Patio, as the new residence at Archmere was called, was begun that same year and completed in 1918.
By 1930, Raskob's ties to Wilmington and the du Ponts had loosened and, in 1932, as Archmere was becoming encircled by development, Raskob sold the estate for $300,000 and moved to a larger estate on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The property was purchased by the Norbertine Fathers of St. Norbert Abbey in DePere, Wisconsin with the purpose of establishing a Norbertine school for boys.
Norbert of Xanten established a religious community in Premontre, France where priests could cultivate an ascetic life and set forth to preach spiritual renewal and administer the sacraments in parish churches. Forty priests professed their vows at Premontre in 1121, marking the inception of the Premonstratensian Order. During the Middle Ages, several hundred Norbertine abbey's and priories were established throughout Europe and, by the end of the nineteenth century, in India and the United States. On September 28, 1898, the first Norbertine priory in the United Sates was founded in Depere, Wisconsin and St. Norbert College was established that same year.
By 1930, the Norbertine Order was working toward underwriting an east coast venture and, in 1932, Abbot Bernard Pennings (1861-1955) happened upon Archmere. Its cloistered halls were ideal for religious teaching and Abbot Pennings travelled to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago meet with Raskob and settle on a price. This was approved by the Diocese of Wilmington and the new school opened on September 14, 1932. The present Archmere Academy is a Catholic, college preparatory school for men and women in grades nine through twelve.
Archmere is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Scope and Content
The collection contains architectual drawings of various floors, bathrooms, and other rooms in Archmere Academy. The records contain details regarding the layout, plumbing and heating pipes, and wiring and ductwork in the Academy.
This collection is open for research. Litigators may not view the collection without approval.
Language of Materials
On Deposit from the Archmere Academy.
Finding Aid & Administrative Information
- Archmere Academy drawings
- Description rules:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description:
- Script of description: