Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
The drawings in this series document a sample of McShain's projects such as apartment and office buildings, colleges, churches, and shopping centers in Philadelphia and Washington, DC There are also drawings for well-known projects including the Franklin D. Roosevelt library at Hyde Park, N.Y.; the Jefferson Memorial, John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, Longfellow Building in Washington, DC; and the Philadelphia International Airport.
Archmere Academy is a private college preparatory school founded in 1932 on the former John J. Raskob (1879-1950) estate in Claymont, Delaware. The collection contains architectual drawings of various floors, bathrooms, and other rooms in the Academy.
The Associated Factory Mutual Fire Insurance Companies comprised twenty-eight mutual insurance firms that specialized in industrial fire insurance. The collection consists of seventy original hand-colored plans and maps primarily depicting textile mills, paper products factories and foundries in New England and New York.
Windsor Farms is one of Richmond's first planned neighborhood, primarily of Colonial Revival design. Architects included Duncan Lee, William Lawrence Bottomley, and C.W. Huff Jr. This collection includes plans, elevations, details, and typed specifications for a house built for Eugene E. du Pont (1914-1995) by architect C.W. Huff Jr.
The Savannah River Plant was built near Aiken, South Caroline, and manufactured plutonium and tritium for the U.S. nuclear program. This item is a color photograph of the architect's rendering.
Upper Louviers was a residence located on the east bank of the Brandywine Creek in Brandywine Hundred, Delaware, opposite the powder mills of E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Elise du Pont Elrick (1902-1984), who lived at Upper Louviers as a child, was an architect and translator. This collection consists of architectural drawings of the residence made by Elise du Pont Elrick in 1936.
Gilpin, Van Trump & Montgomery, Inc. provided insurance sales and service to property owners. The business was established in 1865 in Wilmington, Delaware, by businessman James Woolley (1818-1886). By the early-to-mid twentieth century, the company specialized in real estate sales and service, as well as mortgages, becoming Delaware's only full-service real estate organization. The records include minutes, corporate histories, publicity material, as well as information on company properties, and documents the company's rise from a small insurance company to a large, multi-service insurance, real estate, mortgage, and investment firm.
James W. Flaherty Inc. was a general contractor company in Wilmington, Delaware that operated between 1949 and 1983. Consists of drawings and plans for various local properties, including du Pont family estates.
Joseph T. Richards (1845-1933) was a career civil engineer with the Pennsylvania Railroad Company who participated in several of their large construction projects in the first decade of the twentieth century. The records consist of the contents of a small portfolio of documents relating to the construction of Pennsylvania Station and its associated yards and terminals.
Longwood Gardens is a series of formal display gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania that was developed by Pierre S. du Pont (1870-1954) after he purchased the site from the Peirce family in 1906. The collection includes two 1925 blueprints for two of the three bungalows that were built at Longwood.
Domenico Mortellito (1906-1994) was a muralist, sculptor, and designer noted for his work in plastics and other synthetic materials. He worked with E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company from 1945 to 1979. The 1964, the New York World's Fair was held in Flushing Meadows, New York, from April 22, 1964 to October 18, 1964, and then again from April 25, 1965 to October 17, 1965. The theme was "Peace through Understanding." This item is Mortellito's designer presentation book of the proposed DuPont Company pavilion for the 1964 New York World's Fair.
"Rencourt" was the Wilmington, Delaware, home of Alexis Irénée du Pont (1843-1904) and his family. Pennsylvania architect Theophilus P. Chandler, Jr. (1845-1928) designed the house; it was built in 1890 and demolished in the 1950s. This collection includes plans of the main and second floors (ink on linen), plans and elevation of the stables (white-line blueprints), and plans of the gate (white-line blueprint).