Brandywine Manufacturers Sunday School photographs1963-1966
The Brandywine Manufacturers Sunday School (BMSS) was organized in 1817 as a non-sectarian school for the children of the local factory workers, with instruction in reading, writing, arithmetic, and religion. This collection contains eleven Kodachrome prints of exterior views of the school building taken by Nancy Wootten (of Wilmington), between 1963 and 1966.
- Wooten, Nancy (Person)
General Physical Description
11 photographic prints, color, 3 x 4.5 in.
The Brandywine Manufacturers' Sunday School (BMSS) was a nonsectarian school offering classes in reading, writing, arithmetic, and Bible lessons. The students, both male and female, were workers or the children of workers in the local manufactories along the Brandywine River, near Wilmington, Delaware. Éleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834) financially supported the construction of a school building on his property in 1816. It was incorporated in 1817 and opened with James Siddall (1801-1874) as its superintendent; he had originated the school's concept in Wilmington.
Éleuthère Irénée du Pont's daughters, Victorine du Pont Bauduy (1792-1861), who succeeded Siddall as superintendent, Eleuthera du Pont Smith (1806-1876), and Sophie M. Du Pont (1810-1888), were teachers at the school, as were other family members and friends. The du Pont women devoted much time and energy preparing school lessons, teaching, and visiting students in their homes. In the nineteenth century, teaching and religion were considered acceptable public activities for women, and Sunday school teachers were predominantly female.
In 1823 the BMSS became affiliated with the American Sunday School Union for the purpose of obtaining less expensive reading materials. The passage of Delaware's Free School Law of 1829 and the development of an organized public school system changed the character of the BMSS. In 1851 the BMSS building was used for Episcopal services, and with the completion of Christ Church in 1856, the BMSS became an Episcopal church school. Classes continued in the school building but were restricted to religious subjects. The building became the Hagley Yard office for the DuPont Company in 1902 until 1921 and then was converted into a private dwelling.
Scope and Content
Kodachrome prints of the Brandywine Manufacturers Sunday School by Nancy Wootten (of Wilmington), taken between 1963 and 1966. Presented to Eleutherian Mills Hagley Library, possibly by Mrs. Kenyen at Winterthur, on 1968 August 13. The prints are exterior views of the building.
GL Box 2
This collection is open for research.
Language of Materials
- Wooten, Nancy (Person)
Finding Aid & Administrative Information
- Brandywine Manufacturers Sunday School photographs
- Ruthanna Hindes
- Description rules:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description:
- Script of description: