skip to searchskip to content
banner
Wilmington, Delaware panoramic photograph
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Wilmington, Delaware panoramic photograph

Accession 1998.241

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
askhagley@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2015-09-09T12:18-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Wilmington, Delaware panoramic photograph (Accession 1998.241), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Wilmington, Delaware panoramic photograph
Dates: 1988
Accession Number: 1998.241
Creator: Greening, Al.
Extent: 1 photographic prints
Physical Description: 1 photographic print (panoramic) : color ; 10 x 41 in.
Location: Drawer A-61.
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Abstract: Wilmington is Delaware’s largest city and can be found where the Christina River and the Brandywine Creek meet near the Delaware River. This panoramic color photograph shows office buildings in the city center.
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

icon

Historical Note

Wilmington is Delaware’s largest city and can be found where the Christina River and the Brandywine Creek meet near the Delaware River. The city was colonized by the Swedish, Dutch and British in the seventeenth century. Granted a borough charter in 1739, the city was named Wilmington after Spencer Compton (1673-1743), Earl of Wilmington. The city prospered throughout the Industrial Revolution, but the period of rapid economic growth came with the Civil War. Wilmington’s industries produced ships, railroad cars, gunpowder, shoes, tents, uniforms, blankets, and other goods for the war. By 1920, the population had reached over 110,000 residents. Wilmington experienced significant population loss after World War II as the suburban areas grew and I-95 dissected some of the city’s more stable neighborhoods. The Financial Center Development Act of 1981 created a favorable environment for banks and many of them have relocated or opened operations in Wilmington. Legislation was passed in 1986 that focused on attracting international finance and insurance companies to the city. These acts have helped the city to rebound.

Al Greening is the son-in-law of John A. Dick, the DuPont Company's first full-time photographer. He used one of Dick's original panoramic Cirkut cameras to take this view in 1988.

icon

Scope and Content

This panoramic color photograph was taken from the roof of the parking building of the Wilmington Medical Center, showing office buildings in the center of Wilmington, Delaware.

icon

Access Points

Panoramic photographs.
Wilmington (Del.)--Pictorial works.
icon