skip to searchskip to content
banner
Simon E. Gluck collection of photographs of EDVAC and MSAC computers
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Simon E. Gluck collection of photographs of EDVAC and MSAC computers

Accession 1990.232

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
research@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-08-19T12:07-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Simon E. Gluck collection of photographs of EDVAC and MSAC computers (Accession 1990.232), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Simon E. Gluck collection of photographs of EDVAC and MSAC computers
Dates: 1948-1951
Accession Number: 1990.232
Creator: Gluck, Simon E.
Extent: 36 items
Physical Description: 18 photographic prints : b&w ; 5x7 in. 18 slides in paper mounts : b&w.
Location: GL Box 1
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Abstract: Computer pioneers John W. Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert and their associates at the Moore School of Electrical Engineering built six of the world's first electronic digital computers between 1943 and 1951. This collection consists of undated black and white photographs and slides; twelve of the eighteen slides are duplicates of the photographs. Two of the images are engineering drawings (EDVAC's block diagram and control panel) and the rest are images of the EDVAC and MSAC computers.
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

icon

Biographical Note

Simon E. Gluck, who collected these photographs, was an engineer educated at the Moore School of Electrical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania. He worked on most of the early computer projects there during the late 1940s and early 1950s. He was later associated with the Burroughs Corporation where he worked as an engineer in the Paoli, Pennsylvania, plant.

Computer pioneers John W. Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert and their associates at the Moore School of Electrical Engineering built six of the world's first electronic digital computers between 1943 and 1951. This work began under an Army Ordnance Dept. contract which funded the ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer) in 1943. After World War Two the staff of the Moore School built the EDVAC and BINAC, computers with stored-memory capability. The MSAC (Moore School automatic computer) was built for the Army Signal Corps in 1951.

icon

Scope and Content

The collection consists of undated black and white photographs and slides; twelve of the eighteen slides are duplicates of the photographs. Two of the images are engineering drawings (EDVAC's block diagram and control panel) and the rest are images of the EDVAC and MSAC computers. The EDVAC was the first effort to develop a computer with stored memory capability. The EDVAC images are of the pilot model (which was demonstrated at the Franklin Institute in 1947), exposed panels, magnetic wire input/output, timing unit, and mercury acoustical memory. The MSAC images include views of the flip-flop module, basic chassis, and pulse transformer design. In addition, there are images of individuals (some identified) who worked with Simon Gluck at the University of Pennsylvania.

icon
icon

Access Points

Computer engineering.
Computer hardware.
Computers.
EDVAC (Computer)
MSAC (Computer)
icon