skip to searchskip to content
banner
Beaver Meadow Railroad and Coal Company stock transfer books
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Beaver Meadow Railroad and Coal Company stock transfer books

Accession 0669

Manuscripts and Archives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
research@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-06-05T11:33-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Beaver Meadow Railroad and Coal Company stock transfer books (Accession 0669), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Beaver Meadow Railroad and Coal Company stock transfer books
Dates: 1833-1863
Accession Number: 0669
Creator: Beaver Meadow Railroad and Coal Company
Extent: 2 volumes
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Manuscripts and Archives Department
Abstract: Incorporated in 1830, Beaver Meadow Railroad & Coal Company transported anthracite coal mined in Beaver Meadow to Philadelphia markets. The company merged into the Lehigh Valley Railroad in 1864. Their records consist of stock transfer books in two volumes, dated 1833 to 1846 and 1861 to 1863, which list transactions of the company shares and changes in ownership.
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

icon

Historical Note

The Beaver Meadow Railroad & Coal Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania on April 7, 1830. The company purchased a tract of anthracite coal land in Northampton (now Carbon) County. Between 1834 and 1836, the company constructed a twenty-six mile railroad from these mines to the Lehigh Canal at Parryville. In the late 1830s, the railroad was to be a link in a through route from New York and Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and Erie which was promoted by Nicholas and Edward R. Biddle. The flood of 1841 destroyed much of the line, and the six miles below East Mauch Chunk were not replaced. Completion of the Lehigh Valley Railroad to East Mauch Chunk in 1855 gave the company a direct rail outlet to tidewater. It was merged into the Lehigh Valley Railroad on July 8, 1864.

icon

Scope and Content

The records consist of stock transfer books in two volumes, dated 1833 to 1846 and 1861 to 1863, which list transactions of the company shares and changes in ownership. By the 1860s, smaller transactions reflect the dispersion of ownership through inheritance and small scale investment.

icon
icon

Access Points

Anthracite coal industry--Pennsylvania.
Bank of the United States (Pennsylvania : 1836-1841).
Beaver Meadow Railroad and Coal Company.
Carbon County (Pa.)--Industries.
H. H. Barker & Company.
Ingham, Samuel D. (Samuel Delucenna), 1779-1860.
Levis, Hosea J.
Macalester, Charles, 1798-1873.
Morris Canal and Banking Company.
Railroads--Pennsylvania.
Schuylkill Bank (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Wharton, Francis R. (Francis Rawle), 1788-1862.
icon