skip to searchskip to content
banner
Mount Carbon Railroad Company laborers receipts
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Mount Carbon Railroad Company laborers receipts

Accession 0205

Manuscripts and Archives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
research@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-28T14:50-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Mount Carbon Railroad Company laborers receipts (Accession 0205), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Mount Carbon Railroad Company laborers receipts
Dates: 1829-1838
Accession Number: 0205
Creator: Mount Carbon Rail Road Company
Extent: 13 items
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Manuscripts and Archives Department
Abstract: The Mount Carbon Railroad Company was incorporated in Pennsylvania on April 20, 1829, for the purpose of building a railroad from the Schuylkill Canal at Mount Carbon up Norwegian Creek to the forks and thence to Wadesville on the East Branch and Mount Laffee on the West Branch. The collection consist of thirteen laborers receipts issued for the construction of the railroad in 1829 and 1830 by William R. Hopkins, superintendent.
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

icon

Historical Note

The Mount Carbon Railroad Company was incorporated in Pennsylvania on April 20, 1829, for the purpose of building a railroad from the Schuylkill Canal at Mount Carbon up Norwegian Creek to the forks and thence to Wadesville on the East Branch and Mount Laffee on the West Branch. The railroad was completed in April 1831 and used to bring coal from numerous independent mines to the canal. The completion of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad to Mount Carbon in 1842 opened an all-rail route to tidewater. The company was leased to the Reading in 1862 and merged into it on April 10, 1872.

icon

Scope and Content

The collection consist of thirteen laborers receipts issued for the construction of the railroad in 1829 and 1830 by William R. Hopkins, superintendent.

icon

Access Points

Hopkins, William Rogers, 1805-1876.
Pennsylvania--Railroads.
Railroad construction workers--Wages--19th century.
Railroads--Pennsylvania--Schuylkill County.
Schuylkill County (Pa.)--Railroads.
icon