skip to searchskip to content
banner
Lehigh Coal Mine Company records
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Lehigh Coal Mine Company records

Accession 0131

Manuscripts and Archives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
research@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-28T14:50-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Lehigh Coal Mine Company records (Accession 0131), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Lehigh Coal Mine Company records
Dates: 1792-1829
Accession Number: 0131
Creator: Lehigh Coal Mine Company
Extent: 16 items
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Manuscripts and Archives Department
Abstract: Lehigh Coal Mine Company was an unincorporated joint-stock company, established in 1792, with the intention of developing a deposit of anthracite coal discovered by Jacob Weiss and others at what is now Summit Hill in Carbon County, Pennsylvania. The collection consists of documents relating to land ownership and governance of Lehigh Coal Mine Company (LC&N).
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

icon

Historical Note

The Lehigh Coal Mine Company was an unincorporated joint-stock company formed on February 12, 1792, by sixteen persons including Jacob Weiss, John Nicholson, Michael Hillegas and Godfrey Haga. The intent was to develop a deposit of anthracite coal discovered by Weiss and others at what is now Summit Hill in Carbon County, Pennsylvania. The company acquired 7,100 acres embracing most of the coal basin between the Lehigh and Little Schuylkill Rivers. Numerous attempts to develop the property failed for lack of capital, poor transportation and undeveloped markets for the coal. Lessees of the property achieved some success during the War of 1812, when imports and coastwise shipments of coal were cut off. This prompted Josiah White and Erskine Hazard, Philadelphia wire manufacturers, and George F. A. Hauto, a German adventurer, to begin successful development of the mines and the improvement of the Lehigh River in 1818. They leased the Coal Mine Company's property for twenty years at an annual rate of one ear of corn, payable on demand. White, Hazard and Hauto incorporated their enterprise as the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company in 1822 and secured control of the Lehigh Coal Mine Company in the same year. The last shares could not be purchased until 1839, and on March 23 of that year the Lehigh Coal Mine Company was liquidated and its lands transferred to the LC&N.

icon

Scope and Content

The collection consists of documents relating to land ownership and governance of Lehigh Coal Mine Company (LC&N). It includes a copy of the articles of association with the names of the original subscribers, the 1818 lease to White, Hazard and Hauto and papers relating to the lease. Also included are a deed of William Henry and Jacob Weiss to Charles Cist for lots in Lehighton, Pennsylvania (1795), an agreement between James Greenleaf and the North American Land Company (1806) and a letter of Francis Weiss to Josiah White (1826) describing some of John Nicholson's land dealings with his father, Jacob Weiss.

These records became separated from the main body of records which passed to the LC&N.

icon
icon

Access Points

Anthracite coal industry--Pennsylvania.
Carbon County (Pa.)--Industries.
Cist, Charles, 1738?-1805.
Coal mines and mining--Pennsylvania.
Greenleaf, James, 1765-1843.
Hazard, Erskine, 1789-1865.
Henry, William, 1757-1821.
Joint-stock companies--18th century.
Land companies--Pennsylvania.
Land speculation--Pennsylvania.
Lehigh Coal Mine Company.
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company.
Morris, Robert, 1734-1806.
Nicholson, John, 1757-1800.
North American Land Company.
Weiss, Francis, 1773-1845.
Weiss, Jacob, 1750-1839.
White, Josiah, 1781-1850.
icon