Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
A. R. Moen letter to Collins and Co.
A.R. Moen (1799-1867) was a traveling agent for the Collins & Company, a tool manufacturer. In the letter to the company, Moen discusses and provides a sketch of a new axe he has invented.
Conestoga wagon tool box contents list
This collection is a list on cardboard of the contents of a Conestoga wagon toolbox. Conestoga wagons were used to haul freight between farms and cities in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and Ohio between the years 1750 and 1855.
Gardener Machine Works graphic materials
The Gardner Machine Works specialized in manufacturing woodworking machinery, specifically those used to make chairs. This collection consists mainly of images of tools and machinery manufactured and sold by the Gardner Machine Works company. This collection has been organized into four series: Tools and machinery photographs and negatives; Trade catalogs and advertisements; Notebooks, drawings, and patents; and Scrapbooks. This collection would be of interest to those researching woodworking machinery, equipment, marketing, and design.
Paul W. Morgan papers
Paul W. Morgan (1911-1992) was a research chemist who spent his thirty-five-year career working in the DuPont Company's Pioneering Research Laboratory, part of the Textile Fibers Department (formerly the Rayon Department). His contributions include interfacial polycondensation reactions, a previously unexplored field of polymer chemistry. Morgan’s polymer condensation research ultimately yielded several commercially successful products. Among these were Nomex®, a high-temperature-resistant, thermally stable aramid fiber; Fiber B, a new tire reinforcing fiber that was twice as strong as ordinary synthetic tire yarns; and PRD-49, a high-modulus organic fiber marketed as Kevlar® aramid fiber. In addition to documenting Morgan’s career with DuPont, this collection also contains materials relating to the history of hand tools and tool manufacturers, amassed by Morgan following his retirement.
"The Disston History," compiled by Elizabeth B. Satterthwaite manuscript and photographs, copies
Henry Disston & Sons, Inc. was a major manufacturer of saws and other woodworking tools and one of the largest industrial firms in Philadelphia. Henry Disston (1819-1878) founded the company in 1855. The firm remained in family control until 1955. This collection consists of a two-volume typescript "The Disston History," a genealogy of the Disston family, and a company history of Henry Disston and Sons, Inc., compiled by family members and genealogist Elizabeth B. Satterthwaite (1856-1948) in 1920. The copy images in the collection include portraits of Disston family members, board members, and employees and interior and exterior images of the Disston Saw Works in Tacony, a suburb of Philadelphia.