Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
In 1918, the company opened an additional plant in Racine, Wisconsin to increase the production of smokeless powder to meet the growing demand in order to support the war effort. This panoramic photograph shows a group of engineers outside of the plant.
A collection of random publications, photographs, and objects associated with DuPont's Engineering Physics Laboratory. A number of the items appear to be associated with Paul M. Tannenbaum, once Senior Research Physicist at the Laboratory.
The Leeds & Northrup Company thrived throughout the twentieth century as a premier manufacturer of precision measuring and scientific equipment. The bulk of the Leeds & Northrup Electrical Power Systems records come from three employees, whose work at Leeds & Northrup spanned from 1928-1981: W. Spencer Bloor (1918-2002), Nathan Cohn (1907-1989), and S. Byron Morehouse. All worked within the Instrumentation and Controls for Electric Power Application Division. The records include papers, presentations, correspondence, memos, blueprints, and other materials relating to the development of a national electrical power grid in the United States. Technological and commercial developments in automatic electric power generation control, stabilization of energy load across regions, and problems of interconnection feature prominently in these materials.
Henry A. Janvier (1861-1952) was an engineer with the Ferracute Machine Company of Bridgeton, New Jersey, where he had begun work in 1877 as a sixteen-year-old apprentice. Sometime in 1896, Ferracute signed a contract with the Chinese government to build three mints there, two at Wuchang in Hopei Province and one in Chengtu in Szechwan. Janvier served as chief engineer for the project. This collection includes Janvier's letters to his family, in which he describes his 1897 trip to China.