Coal-fired power plants
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Files from the Office of the President , 1956-1978
Series I, Files from the Office of the President, spans the years 1956-1977 and includes files that were kept by PP&L president, Jack K. Busby. Topics included in this series span a wide variety of topics over a span of just over two decades. Of particular note are files of correspondence regarding coal transportation with the Penn Central Company, as well as files on utility taxes and rates, the Keystone Power Plant Project, reports and correspondence on the Advisory Committee of Reliability of Electric Bulk Power Supply of the Federal Power Commission, and finally files on the Northeast Blackout of November 1965 which resulted in the failure of the power grid in much of PP&L's service region.
Levi C. Stang scrapbook
Levi C. Stang (1890-1962) was an electrical engineer and general manager of several electric companies throughout the Midwest. His scrapbook chronicles his career and employment as an electrical engineer through selected letters and correspondence, newspaper and other clippings, blueprints, and photographs.
Merchants Coal Company photographs
The Merchants Coal Company mined semi-bituminous coal in the early twentieth century. These are images of early construction at the Merchants Coal Company in Boswell, Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania Water & Power Company photographs
Pennsylvania Water & Power Company was established to store, transport, and generate water power for both commercial and manufacturing purposes. The Holtwood facility outside of Lancaster, Pennsylvania was the first power plant to have both a hydroelectric generator and a coal power generator. The company was originally called McCall’s Ferry Power Co. and founded in 1905. This small collection consists of photographs that depict the progress of several construction projects at the Holtwood and Safe Harbor plants. Most of these images date from 1951 to 1954, well after the original construction of both sites.
Pennsylvania Water & Power Company presidential records
The Pennsylvania Water & Power Company formed in 1910 to finish construction of the Holtwood hydroelectric facility along the lower Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. The company achieved numerous advancements in hydroelectric and steam power development in the early twentieth century, and helped bring about the electrification of Baltimore and, later, much of the Chesapeake and eastern Pennsylvania area. The records largely consist of correspondence to and from Pennsylvania Water & Power's chief engineer and later president, John Abbet Walls, and other company heads relating to operations, customers, dam construction, and numerous subjects associated with the hydroelectric industry.