Skip to main content
Notice: The Library is open for research by appointment only, please visit our research services page for more information.

Amusement parks

Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:

Brandywine Springs ledger

Accession: 2242

Brandywine Springs, located on the Newport-Gap Turnpike about five miles west of Wilmington, Delaware, was first developed as a spa by the Brandywine Chalybeate Springs Company in 1827. Richard W. Crook (1850-1948) later leased the property in 1886 and converted it into a typical nineteenth-century streetcar amusement park, although he was unable to complete the streetcar connection with Wilmington until 1901. The entries in the ledger are in the hand of William Jenks Fell (1839-1903), the lessor of the park, and describe expenditures on improving the rides and concessions.

Dates: 1890-1891

Brandywine Springs Park postcard

Accession: 1994-256

Brandywine Springs County Park was a popular amusement park in the rural countryside outside Wilmington from approximately 1890 to 1923. This collection consists of a postcard of the arched entrance to the park.

Dates: 1910-1915

C.W. Parker Amusement Company records

Accession: 2730

The C.W. Parker Amusement Company produced various amusement devices, such as shooting galleries and ferris wheels, but was best known for its carousels named "Carry-Us-Alls." When the company was founded in 1894 by C.W. Parker (1864-1932) in Abilene, Kansas, it was the only carousel manufacturer not on the east coast. This small collection of records documents the professional life of C.W. Parker, the "Amusement King" and his company. The collection comprised of textual material, including financial records, correspondence with other manufacturing vendors, and publications regarding the company's progress.

Dates: 1890-1955

Eli Bridge Company trade journals and advertisements

Accession: 2834

The Eli Bridge Company manufactures Ferris Wheels and other amusement park rides, such as the Scrambler. The company was founded by William Eli "W.E." Sullivan (1861-1932) in 1906. Most of this collection consists of a trade journal on carnival rides and devices dating between 1916 and 1935. The monthly magazine was first titled The Optimist, and later continued as Big Eli News. It featured articles about amusement park rides, parts, and operations, and included advertisements and illustrations.

Dates: 1914-1943

EPCOT Center guide booklet

Accession: 1994-282

Epcot, the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, opened in 1982. It was conceived by Walt Disney to "take its cue from the new ideas and new technologies that are now emerging from the creative centers of American industry." This booklet is a guide to the attractions at Future World and the World Showcase at the EPCOT Center in Florida. It also includes advertising matter for Eastman Kodak Company disc and instant cameras. Eastman Kodak Company, commonly known as Kodak, is best known for photographic film products, which it produced throughout most of its history. In 1982, Kodak launched the Kodak Disc film format for consumer cameras

Dates: 1982

Joseph L. Kochka and Mary M. Kochka travelogue album

Accession: 2024-201

Joseph Lawrence Kochka (1892-1952) and Mary Murray Kochka (1893-1984) were high school teachers in the Washington, D.C., area from the 1920s through the 1940s. Mary Kochka continued teaching through the 1950s. The couple was married in 1926. This collection consists of a travelogue photograph album detailing the Kochkas' two-week tour through Syracuse and Palmyra, New York, with Holman Rides Inc., an outdoor amusement ride and carnival business, in August 1950. The Kochkas were hosted by company owners Lucy Holman Sprague (1894-1954) and Leonard "Speed" Sprague (1902-1970). There are images of the Spragues' home, their neighbors' homes, ride erection/disassembly crews, ticket booths, crew quarters, transport trucks, and views of the fairgrounds. Rides pictured include the Tilt-a-Whirl, Merry-go-Round, Ferris Wheel, and Baby Tug. Lucy and Speed Holman are often seen along with their dog, Dundee. Most images have extensive captions.

Dates: 1950 August 13-1950 August 27