Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
David Jayne (1798-1866) purchased a drug store in Philadelphia in 1836. His patent medicine business grew quickly and he built this new building in 1850. The building was designed by American architects, William J. Johnston (1811-1849) and Thomas U. Walter (1804-1887) and was located at 242 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The firm of Dr. D. Jayne and Son was one of the largest patent medicine firms in the United States, and this building was "the most conspicuous building of the time" in Philadelphia. Engraved on wood and printed by William B. Gihon (dates unknown), an illustrator and engraver.
The Singer Company was once the world's leading producer of sewing machines that achieved peak domestic and foreign influence by the late nineteenth century. In 1902 the Singer Company began plans to enlarge its headquarters in downtown Manhattan. Ernest Flagg was selected as the architect, and his initial design was for a thirty-five story tower; however, the company decided to almost double its height. The Beaux-Arts style skyscraper, made of red brick and bluestone, was completed in 1908 and stretched to 612 feet. This two sided souvenir shows three photographs of the Singer Building from 1907 to 1908; the reverse side is a longitudinal cross sectional drawing of the tower with engineering and architectural data.