Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract: E. Paul du Pont (1887-1950) established Du Pont Motors, Inc., a manufacturing company of luxury automobiles, in 1919 in Wilmington, Delaware. He worked for a short time at the family business, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company which manufactured gunpowder. He was one of ten children of Francis Gurney du Pont (1850-1904) and Eliza Wigfa Simons du Pont (1849-1919). This small collection contains photographs of DuPont powder yards; family photographs; home exteriors; and postcard views of Longwood Gardens.
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives
Abstract: Francis Gurney du Pont (1850-1904) was the youngest son of Alexis I. du Pont (1816-1857) and Joanna Smith du Pont (1815-1876), and grandson of Éleuthère Irénée "E.I." du Pont (1771-1834), founder of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, a chemical company more commonly referred to as the DuPont Company. The papers of du Pont describe both his business activities at E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, his family life, and his activities in the Episcopal Church.
Abstract: James R. Thomen (1926-) was manager of the Experimental Station from 1975 to 1985 when he retired. The DuPont Company's Experimental initially, was to be a small laboratory to screen inventions which were coming into the company from outside independent inventors specifically for research on black powder, smokeless powder, and dynamite, but soon its mission was altered and it became a large industrial research facility focused on innovative advancements in chemistry. This collection consists primarily of photographs of buildings at the Experimental Station in Wilmington, Delaware taken between 1910 and 1950.
Dates: circa 1900-1951
Abstract: The pulp keg mill was built around 1904 to manufacture an experimental design of black and smokeless powder container made essentially from paper. This album contains photographic prints of the construction of the pulp keg mill in the Hagley Yard of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co. near Wilmington, Delaware around 1902 through 1905.
Dates: circa 1902-1905
- Audiovisual Collections 3
- Manuscripts and Archives 1
- Chemical industry 2
- Construction projects 1
- Du Pont family -- Homes and haunts 1
- Explosives industry 1
- Factories 1
- Du Pont family 2
- Du Pont, Francis Gurney, 1850-1904 2
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company 2
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Hagley Yard 2
- Du Pont, A. Felix (Alexis Felix), 1879-1948 1
- Du Pont, E. Paul (Eleuthére Paul), 1887-1950 1
- Du Pont, Pierre S. (Pierre Samuel), 1870-1954 1
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Carney's Point Works 1
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company. Experimental Station 1
- Gentieu, Pierre A., 1842-1930 1
- Maxim, Hudson, 1853-1927 1
- Thomen, James R. 1 ∧ less