Skip to main content

Carter & Scattergood records

1826-1903
 Collection
Identifier: 0376

Abstract

The Philadelphia chemical manufacturing firm of Carter & Scattergood was founded in 1834. It continued to do business under that name until 1911, when it was sold to the Henry Bower Chemical Manufacturing Company. Their records include day books, ledgers, receipt books, laboratory books containing records of wages, materials, processes and apparatus; production tables; correspondence including one describing in detail the first four years of the firm's operations; and receipts and bills.

Dates

  • 1826-1903

Creator

Extent

0.8 Linear Feet

Historical Note

The Philadelphia chemical manufacturing firm of Carter & Scattergood was founded in 1834. It continued to do business under that name until 1911, when it was sold to the Henry Bower Chemical Manufacturing Company.

The business was founded in 1754 by John Elliott (1713-1791), who had come to Philadelphia from Bolton, England, the previous year. Elliott originally dealt in glass, to which was added the silvering of mirrors. The business was continued by his son, John, and by his grandsons, John and Elliott. The grandsons further expanded the business to include drugs, paints and colors and constructed a manufacturing laboratory at 19th and Pine Streets around 1812.

John Carter (1800-1877), the son of a Maryland miller, entered the firm as an apprentice in 1816. On January 1, 1834, he formed a partnership with Joseph Scattergood, a druggist and graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, and purchased the chemical branch of the Elliott firm, then consisting primarily of the manufacture of acids. Carter & Scattergood added the production of aqua ammonia, copper sulphate, sulphuric ether, calomel, potassium chlorate, potassium bichromate, Prussian blue, chrome yellow, chrome green, and the tartarates of soda, potassium and antimony. The firm was the first in the United States to produce yellow prussiate of potash (ca. 1834), and red prussiate of potash (potassium ferrocyanide), chemicals used in dyeing, calico printing, blueprinting, and other industrial applications.

John Carter's son, John Elliott Carter (1838-1922), entered the firm in 1858, and Scattergood's son, George Jones Scattergood, in 1860. John Carter retired in 1871 and Joseph Scattergood in 1877. George Scattergood retired in 1890, leaving John E. Carter the sole partner for a time. Charles Evans, a grandson of John Carter, was made a partner in 1900, and John Pim Carter, the son of John E. Carter, in 1903.

Scope and Content

Carter & Scattergood was formed January 1, 1834 between John Carter, the son of a Maryland miller and Joseph Scattergood, a druggist and graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. They purchased the chemical branch of the old Elliott firm which primarily manufactured acids. Carter & Scattergood added the production of aqua ammonia, copper sulphate, sulphuric ether, calomel, potassium chlorate, potassium bichromate, Prussian blue, chrome yellow, chrome green, and the tartarates of soda, potassium and antimony. The firm was the first in the United States to produce yellow prussiate of potash (circa 1834), and red prussiate of potash (potassium ferrocyanide), chemicals used in dyeing, calico printing, blueprinting, and other industrial applications.The collection include day books, ledgers, receipt books, laboratory books containing records of wages, materials, processes and apparatus; production tables; correspondence including one describing in detail the first four years of the firm's operations; and receipts and bills.

Access Restrictions

No restrictions on use.

Related Material

Henry Bower Chemical Manufacturing Company records (Accession 1070), Manuscripts and Records Department, Hagley Museum and Library

Language of Materials

English


Additional Information

Related Names

Creator

Finding Aid & Administrative Information

Title:
Carter & Scattergood records
Status:
Description rules:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description:
English
Script of description:
Latin

Repository Details

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository

Contact:
PO Box 3630
Wilmington Delaware 19807 USA
302-658-2400