Skip to main content

Cooper & Hewitt records

1848-1870
 Collection
Accession: 1754

Abstract

Cooper & Hewitt partners were iron businessmen who purchased ironworks, property, and iron mines. In 1845, a rolling mill complex was incorporated as the Trenton Iron Company, and in 1847 iron mines at Andover, New Jersey, were purchased. The records consist of two payroll sheets from 1848, as well as eighty-two inbound letters, mostly from 1849 to 1850. The letters are primarily operating reports from the superintendent of the Andover mine.

Dates

  • 1848-1870

Creator

Extent

84 item(s)

Historical Note

Cooper & Hewitt partners were iron businessmen who purchased ironworks, property, and iron mines. The partnership of Cooper & Hewitt was formed in 1847 by Edward Cooper (1824-1905)--the son of New York City manufacturer and philanthropist Peter Cooper (1791-1883)--and his brother-in-law, Abram S. Hewitt (1822-1903). The partnership took over the management of the iron manufacturing facilities owned by the Cooper family. These included a rolling mill complex built by Cooper & Hewitt at Trenton, New Jersey, in 1845 and incorporated as the Trenton Iron Company two years later; blast furnaces at Philipsburg, New Jersey, built in 1847; mines at Ringwood, New Jersey, purchased in 1853; and the Durham Iron Works in Pennsylvania, purchased in 1870.

To secure a supply of good iron ore, Hewitt had purchased the abandoned iron mines at Andover, New Jersey, in 1847. The Andover mines had been extensively worked before the Revolution, and the government of New Jersey had seized the property from its loyalist owners to supply the Revolutionary armies. After the war the mines were mismanaged, and they were abandoned in 1800. Cooper & Hewitt also built the Sussex Mine Railroad in 1854, running from the mines to the Morris Canal, which carried the ore to the furnaces at Philipsburg. The Andover mines were nearly exhausted by 1862.

Scope and Contents

The records consist of two payroll sheets from 1848, as well as eighty-two inbound letters, mostly from 1849 to 1850. The letters are primarily operating reports from the superintendent of the Andover mine, but there are also some letters to Cooper & Hewitt from banks, suppliers, customers, other iron works, and from the Trenton Water Power Company, which supplied water power to the Trenton rolling mills.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Language of Materials

English


Additional Information

Related Names

Creator

Finding Aid & Administrative Information

Title:
Cooper & Hewitt records
Status:
Description rules:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description:
English
Script of description:
Latin

Repository Details

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository

Contact:
PO Box 3630
Wilmington Delaware 19807 USA
302-658-2400