All American Engineering Company scrapbooks and news releasesCreation: 1940-1971
All American Engineering Company was an aeronautical engineering and research firm that was incorporated on October 31, 1952. The records consist of scrapbooks of newspaper clippings and news releases that document the development, testing, and applications of the company's products.
- Creation: 1940-1971
- All American Engineering Company (Organization)
3.5 Linear Feet
All American Engineering Company was an aeronautical engineering and research firm that was incorporated on October 31, 1952. The company was originally a division of All American Aviation, Inc.
All American Aviation was incorporated by Dr. Lytle S. Adams (1881-1970), who had been experimenting with aerial pick-up devices since the 1920s and was the sole owner of Tri-State Aviation Corporation of Morgantown, West Virginia. The company remained inactive until September 1938, when Richard C. du Pont (1911-1943) bought $85,000 in stock and became president. Adams became vice president and Charles W. Wendt (1904-1990), secretary/treasurer. The other directors were Arthur P. Davis (1895-1968) and A. Felix du Pont Jr. (1905-1996).
All American Aviation began service with an experimental airmail pick-up contract in 1939. The service was made permanent in 1940, serving eighty-six cities on five routes, primarily in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The company developed an improved pick-up system that owed little to Adams, who withdrew from the firm after a bitter dispute.
The company thrived during World War II by developing military applications for its technology, particularly a "man harness" for snatching people aloft like airmail sacks. The system was tried for air rescue missions and for dropping and retrieving intelligence officers behind enemy lines. The company also became involved in the military glider program. Richard du Pont left to head the Army's glider program in 1943 and was killed in a glider accident a few months later.
Support for the airmail pick-up system declined after World War II in the face of high costs, lower airmail volume, and better rural delivery by road. However, the company continued to push its system by proposing to combine it with passenger service, something the CAB had consistently opposed.
In 1948, All American Aviation was designated the principal feeder airline for the Mid-Atlantic region. In response to its evolution into a conventional airline, the company changed its name to All American Airways, Inc. on September 20, 1948.
On January 2, 1953, All American Airways split with its engineering and research units and became Allegheny Airlines, Inc. and All American Engineering Company. Allegheny Airlines, Inc. was renamed USAir, Inc. on October 28, 1979.
All American Engineering continued the refinement and manufacture of the automatic cargo and airmail pick-up equipment originally developed by its predecessor during the 1930s. It also developed gliders, ejection seat trainers, airborne winches, ski attachments, and other landing gear. The firm was renamed All American Industries on June 11, 1970, and was merged into International Controls Corp. on May 7, 1982.
Scope and Contents
The records consist of a series of scrapbooks of newspaper clippings that date from 1953 to 1969 and of news releases dating from 1940 to 1971, as well as miscellaneous notes and reports on the company's history. The records document the development, testing, and applications of the company's products.
This collection is open for research.
Language of Materials
All American Engineering Company photographs (Accession 1968.006), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Intiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library.
Finding Aid & Administrative Information
- All American Engineering Company scrapbooks and news releases
- Description rules:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description:
- Script of description:
- 2021: Laurie Sather