Skip to main content

McCullough Iron Company, Octoraro Works exterior photograph

circa 1870
 Collection
Identifier: 1971-mss-713

Abstract

McCullough Iron Company produced the first galvanized sheet iron in the United States, and then went on to produce charcoal blooms and iron bars. The Octoraro Rolling Mill was built in 1828, originally owned by Joseph Roman and purchased by McCullough & Co. in 1857. It operated until 1893. This item is a panoramic-type nineteenth century albumen photograph showing the town of Rowlandsville, Maryland, on Octoraro Creek in Cecil County. The iron-works may be in the distance, and the houses may be predominantly worker's housing.

Dates

  • circa 1870

Creator

Extent

1 item(s)

General Physical Description

1 photographic print : b&w ; 11.5 x 26 in. on board 15 x 28 in.

Historical Note

McCullough Iron Company produced the first galvanized sheet iron in the United States, and then went on to produce charcoal blooms and iron bars.

Edmund A. Harvey (1821-1911) and Delaplaine McDaniel (1817-1885) partnered with Jethro J. McCullough (1810-1878) to found McCullough & Co. in 1847. They purchased the North East Works, which subsequently burnt down and then was rebuilt. The company went on to own five rolling mills, three in Maryland, North East Works, West Anwell, and Octoraro, one in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and one in Wilmington, Delaware.

The West Anwell Iron Works near Elkton, Maryland was built in 1854 by Harvey and later obtained by McCullough Iron Company. The works ceased operations in 1890.

The galvanizing aspect of the business was moved to Philadelphia in 1857, and incorporated separately in 1878 as McDaniel & Harvey Company.

The Octoraro Rolling Mill was built in 1828, originally owned by Joseph Roman and purchased by McCullough & Co. in 1857. It operated until 1893.

In 1865, the firm became a corporation adopting the name McCullough Iron Company. McDaniel served as company president until his death in 1885 and Harvey succeeded him. McCullough managed the Octoraro Works until his death in 1878, two of his sons succeeded him.

Jethro McCullough and his wife Elizabeth (1812-1885) had five sons and one daughter, Enoch, John W., George W., Samuel Delaplaine, Jethro and Fannie (Muhlhausen). All of the sons worked in the iron business. Enoch and John managed the mills at Rowlandsville, George and Samuel Delaplaine managed the mills at North East and Jethro the West Amwell mills.

McCullough Iron Company ceased in 1898.

Scope and Content

This is a panoramic-type nineteenth century albumen photograph showing the town of Rowlandsville, Maryland, on Octoraro Creek in Cecil County. It is mounted on board with the caption, "McCullough Iron Co.'s Works, Rowlandville (sic), Maryland," but the image does not include clearly recognizable industrial buildings. Most of the buildings look residential; a covered bridge and a railroad bridge over Octoraro Creek are visible. The iron-works may be in the distance, and the houses may be predominantly worker's housing.

Location

A-16.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Language of Materials

English


Additional Information

Related Names

Creator

Finding Aid & Administrative Information

Title:
McCullough Iron Company, Octoraro Works exterior photograph
Status:
Date:
2014
Description rules:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description:
English
Script of description:
Latin

Repository Details

Repository Details

Part of the Audiovisual Collections Repository

Contact:
PO Box 3630
Wilmington Delaware 19807 USA
302-658-2400