skip to searchskip to content
banner
Delaware Memorial Hospital demolition photographs
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Delaware Memorial Hospital demolition photographs

Accession 1993.285

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
askhagley@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit, 2015.

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Delaware Memorial Hospital demolition photographs (Accession 1993.285), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Delaware Memorial Hospital demolition photographs
Dates: 1985
Accession Number: 1993.285
Creator: Zipf, Karl A.
Extent: 3.0 photographic prints
Physical Description: 3 photographic prints : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.
Location: GL Box 2
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Abstract: This collection is three photographs of the razing of Delaware Memorial Hospital. When originally founded in 1887, it was called Homeopathic Hospital since that was the branch of medicine that was practiced there. In 1940, it was renamed Memorial Hospital. It continued to serve the public also providing allopathic care until it was razed in 1985.
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

icon

Historical Note

In 1887, a group of women interested in homeopathic medicine, along with a group of like-minded physicians, collected money from friends and neighbors to build a hospital in Wilmington. Around this time, J. Walter Gause, a prominent resident of Wilmington, bought the Heald Home on the corner of Van Buren Street and Shallcross Avenue and donated it for use as a hospital. Known as the Homeopathic Hospital, it opened its doors on February 10, 1888. In 1940, the Homeopathic Hospital was renamed the Memorial Hospital in honor of those first friends who collected money and contributed to its growth and progress. The hospital also began to provide allopathic care. It continued to expand and serve the community until 1985 when it was razed.

icon

Scope and Content

Three views showing the implosion of the Delaware Memorial Hospital in Wilmington on March 17, 1985.

icon

Access Points

Hospitals--Delaware--Wilmington.
Wrecking.
icon