skip to searchskip to content
banner
Leeds & Northrup records
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Leeds & Northrup records

Accession 1110

Manuscripts and Archives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
research@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-07T15:25-0500

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Leeds & Northrup records (Accession 1110), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Leeds & Northrup records
Dates: 1911-1939
Accession Number: 1110
Creator: Leeds & Northrup Company
Extent: 13 microfilm reels
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Manuscripts and Archives Department
Abstract: The Leeds & Northrup Company traces its origins to Morris E. Leeds & Company, established by Morris E. Leeds in 1899 to develop and manufacture precision instruments. Their records consists of minutes from the Development and Executive Committes and the Cooperative Association.
icon

Administrative Information


Existence and Location of Originals

Originals are located at Leeds & Northrup Company, Sunneytown Pike, North Wales, PA 19454.

Use Restrictions

Literary rights retained by the Leeds & Northrup Company.

icon

Historical Note

The Leeds & Northrup Company traces its origins to Morris E. Leeds & Company, established by Morris E. Leeds in 1899 to develop and manufacture precision instruments. On June 1, 1903 the firm was renamed when Morris Leeds took a partner, Dr. Edwin F. Northrup, a theoretical physicist.

The company's single most important early invention was the 1910 continuous recorder. During the First World War the company profited from the suspension of imports of German machine tools. While it remained small, the company had by 1920 become one of the nation's most important producers of precision measuring instruments. Before Morris Leeds' retirement in 1939 the firm had become known as one of the country's most innovative science-based companies as, it continually made substantial investments in research and development.

Morris Leeds was president of the Metal Manufacturers Association of Philadelphia, an avowedly open shop organization. Leeds was a believer in employee representation plans or company unions. In 1918 the company established a Cooperative Association to assume direction over social and recreational facilities and handle employee grievances.

icon

Scope and Content

Executive committee minutes describe the company's strategic planning and the role that research and development played in defining Leeds and Northrup's long-term goals. These records also describe marketing and sales initiatives as well as industrial relations policies.

Development committee minutes and reports document the company's research program, placing the Leeds and Northrup Company in the context of the precision tool industry. There is information on the research budget and the relationship between long-term research goals and product development.

Cooperative Association minutes describe the company's employee representation plan. These records document employee grievances and also contain references to discussions about wages and hours.

icon

Access Points

Automatic control.
Collective bargaining--Machinery industry.
Company unions.
Engineering instruments.
Grievance arbitration.
Industrial recreation.
Leeds & Northrup Company.
Leeds, Morris Evans, 1869-1952.
Machine-tool industry.
Machine-tools.
Machinery, Automatic.
Machinists.
Metal Manufacturers Association of Philadelphia.
Metal-working machinery industry.
Northrup, Edwin F. (Edwin Fitch), 1866-1940.
Open and closed shop.
Paternalism.
Philadelphia (Pa.)--Machine-tool industry.
Research, Industrial.
icon