Found in 20 Collections and/or Records:
Alexander Starr King Jr. (1916-2013) was a jet engine field service engineer at Westinghouse Electric Co. He began working at the Westinghouse gas turbine division in 1945, which at that time was called Aviation Gas Turbine (AGT) division. These materials document early gas turbine development.
Conectiv, Inc. is a holding company formed in 1998 by the merger of Atlantic Electric Incorporated and Delmarva Power and Light Company, two large regional power utilities that supplied Southern New Jersey and the Delmarva Peninsula. The majority of the images in this collection come from the Delmarva Power and Light Company (DP&L), a predecessor of Conectiv, Inc. The images can generally be divided into three categories: DP&L equipment and facilities, DP&L employees, and views of buildings, both commercial and residential, throughout northern Delaware.
The Edison Electric Institute is the trade association of the electric utility industry. The minutes of the Institute's Transmission and Distributing Committee (1935, 1941-1970) include both business transactions of the committee and professional papers of representatives of member utility companies on a variety of subjects related to the transmission and distribution of electricty.
Frederic G. Cooper (1883-1962) was an honorary member of the Society of Illustrators. He worked for New York Edison from 1905 to 1926. These are miniature souvenir posters for the Electrical Exposition and Motor Shows sponsored by the New York Edison Company.
The Leeds & Northrup Company thrived throughout the twentieth century as a premier manufacturer of precision measuring and scientific equipment. The bulk of the Leeds & Northrup Electrical Power Systems records come from three employees, whose work at Leeds & Northrup spanned from 1928-1981: W. Spencer Bloor (1918-2002), Nathan Cohn (1907-1989), and S. Byron Morehouse. All worked within the Instrumentation and Controls for Electric Power Application Division. The records include papers, presentations, correspondence, memos, blueprints, and other materials relating to the development of a national electrical power grid in the United States. Technological and commercial developments in automatic electric power generation control, stabilization of energy load across regions, and problems of interconnection feature prominently in these materials.
Thomas William Harvey (1795-1854) was an important inventor in the arts of metalworking and metallurgy. The Harvey family papers primarily relate to Thomas William Harvey and his magnetic experiments. It also includes a biography written by his great-grandson Thomas W. Harvey (1884-1965), articles of association of the Harvey Galvanic Company, and two account books of the Harvey Electro Magnetic Company.
The Ivan F. Baker papers describe his overseas work with Westinghouse and his postwar activities promoting economic development and international trade. There are numerous engineering reports, memoranda, handbooks for trade fairs, conference proceedings, tear sheets, Westinghouse corporate publications, and Baker’s speeches and writings. The materials are arranged chronologically. Some items are in Japanese, Indonesian, and Spanish.
Among the few items on pre-war Japan are booklets and letters describing the Kant (Tokyo) Earthquake of 1923, articles on the Japanese electrical industry, and the text of a 1940 speech by M. Wakabayashi of the Mitsubishi Electric Company to the Tokyo English Speaking Society describing his impressions of the U.S.
The bulk of the papers deal with postwar reconstruction and the economic aspects of the Cold War. Notable items include a diary of A. L. Nadai describing a tour of Moscow and Leningrad when attending the 220th anniversary of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR in 1945; a Westinghouse plan for Brazil (1945); the proceedings of the first international meeting of the Westinghouse Treasury Dept. (1946); a report on Baker’s trip to India (1948); a history of Westinghouse International’s war activities; a transcript of a written message of Emperor Hirohito with translator’s notes by the journalist Compton Pakenham, a pre-war friend of the Emperor’s, urging a modification of occupation policies (1950); and a Westinghouse International sales manual (1952).
Files and reports on trade fairs and conferences include the India-America Conference (1949); the Colgate University Conferences on American Foreign Policy; the Tokyo International Trade Fair (1955); and the Indonesian International Fair (1955). Other organizations represented are the National Association of Manufacturers, the American Council on Japan, and the Council on Foreign Relations.
Other items of note include an illustrated brochure of the Imperial Hotel at Tokyo (Teikoku Hoteru); a large promotional book by Ercole Marelli & C., an electrical manufacturing company of Milan, for which Baker was U.S. representative; an anti-American article by Yoshio Tsujimoto from the Bungei Shunju (1955); and the proceedings of a 1955 arbitration between Saudi Arabia and the Arabian American Oil Company over a rival oil tanker concession granted to Aristotle Onassis.
Levi C. Stang (1890-1962) was an electrical engineer and general manager of several electric companies throughout the Midwest. His scrapbook chronicles his career and employment as an electrical engineer through selected letters and correspondence, newspaper and other clippings, blueprints, and photographs.
The office of Alien Property Custodian was created by the Trading with the Enemy Act of October 6, 1917. According to the act, the right to seize enemy property was vested in the president, which was then delegated to the Alien Property Custodian. This collection consists of nine volumes, fifty-eight booklets, and foldouts concerning U.S. patents vested in the Alien Property Custodian (1943-1946). The materials specifically deal with mechanical and electrical patents, as well as chemical patents.
The Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. is an energy utility and transmission distributer based in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Arising from a business merger, the company was founded on June 4, 1920, and soon after began providing energy to eastern and central Pennsylvania. Renamed PP&L Corporation circa 1995, the company continues to operate as an energy provider within northeastern Pennsylvania. The collection consists primarily of photographs that depict sites of various PP&L subsidiaries and those directly operated by the company. It is a resource that can be used for insight into PP&L's early operations and eastern and central Pennsylvania industrial development. Images within this collection range from 1920 to 1973. Researchers interested in electric power transmission and its development within the state of Pennsylvania would find this collection useful.
Pennsylvania Power & Light traces its origins to the various water and gas light companies that began operating in the eastern part of the state during the mid-nineteenth century. The records of the Pennsylvania Power & Light Company predecessor and subsidiary companies document the history of the gas and electric utility industry in eastern Pennsylvania in the years between 1853 and 1957. The collection includes both the administrative and operating records of more than 1100 companies that merged to form the PP&L system.
The Philadelphia Electric Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania on October 31, 1929, as a merger of The Philadelphia Electric Company (incorporated in Pa. on October 27, 1902), the Philadelphia Suburban-Counties Gas & Electric Company, and three other small utility companies. It is the primary gas and electric company for Philadelphia, its surrounding counties and Cecil and Harford Counties in northeastern Maryland. Their records consist of microfilm copies of the minute books of about 150 of the predecessor companies of the Philadelphia Electric Company.
Roberta S. Brown (dates private) is the president of Sassafras River Associates, LLC, an energy consulting and investment firm. She previously spent twenty-four years with Pepco Holdings, Inc. subsidiaries Delmarva Power, Pepco, and Conectiv, Inc., ultimately serving as vice president of transmission. Delmarva Power and Light Company is a regulated energy company that provides electricity and natural gas services to customers in the Delmarva Peninsula. Conectiv, Inc. is a holding company formed in 1998 by the merger of Atlantic Electric Incorporated and Delmarva Power and Light Company, two large regional power utilities that supplied southern New Jersey and the Delmarva Peninsula. In 2002, Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco) acquired Conectiv, Inc. and created Pepco Holdings, Inc., a holding company that owned both Conectiv and Delmarva Power. This is a small collection of Brown's papers from her time as vice president at the Delmarva Power and Light Company and Conectiv, Inc. Most of the files are from Delmarva Power and Light Company, primarily original images from their employee newsletter. There are also many booklets about power-generating stations from various utility companies. The collection is arranged in three series: Delmarva Power and Light Company files; Conectiv files; and Electric industry trade publications.
The Savery family of Chester County, Pennsylvania, produced two generations of eminent mechanical engineers. The Savery family papers consist primarily of those of Thomas H. Savery (1837-1910), his son William H. Savery (1865-1949), and William H. Savery's daughter Sara L. Savery (1897-1979) conerning the family papermaking machinery businesses, financial investments, and real estate activities documented through both personal and professional correspondence, business records, blueprints, and reports.
Personal and business diaries of Thomas Savery documenting his career from 1864 to 1910 that include technical drawings and experimental data used in developing his patented papermaking machinery. Savery's career as machine shop foreman and general manager at Pusey & Jones is also described. The day to day activities of the shops in which he worked are detailed as well as his income, expenses, and investments. Among projects noted is the construction of Machinery Hall at the 1876 Centennial Exhibition. There are also discussions of his involvement in the Harper Ferry Electric Light & Power Company, York Haven Water & Power Company and York Haven Paper Company. There is a volume detailing his involvement in the Denver pulp and paper industry. Savery's involvement with the Wilmington Board of Trade and the Society of Friends are described in these volumes. There are also numerous notations on his personal and cultural life.
Thomas Parke Hughes (1923-2014), was one of the leading historians of technology of his era. This collection consists of files relating to the research and production of Professor Hughes' two prize-winning books, Networks of Power, and Elmer Sperry: Inventor and Engineer. Also included are Elmer Sperry's original desk diaries.
The Westinghouse Machine Company manufactured gas and steam engines, turbines and mechanical stokers. The vast corporate photographic archive from this division covers diverse topics including technical subjects showing surface condensers and reduction gears and components used to construct different types of turbines. There are building construction views and thorough documentation of the Essington property; specifically, this includes the blade, diaphragm, erecting, and forge shops, several different types of laboratories on the premise, a foundry and pickle house. In addition, there are images of the pattern storage house, power house, pump house, and salvage building
The Westinghouse Machine Company began in 1880, and the company's first contract to build a turbine dates to 1896. The album contains a variety of images of products and facilities related to the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. These include photographs of equipment such as boilers, generators, mechanical stokers, pumping machinery and turbines.
The Westinghouse Machine Company manufactured gas and steam engines, turbines and mechanical stokers. This is one sixteen-page copy of the Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company magazine from the South Philadelphia plant.