Found in 21 Collections and/or Records:
The materials in this series are mostly promotional videos and brochures for new automobile models circulated by automobile manufacturers. The series consists mainly of VHS tapes, but also includes small numbers of cassette tapes, CDs, DVDs, promotional brochures, and a small amount of correspondence. Only a handful of items concern other forms of transportation, including airplanes and helicopters.
Cinecraft, Inc. is a corporate film and video production house. The company was founded in 1939 by Ray Culley (1904-1983) and Betty Culley (1914-2016) in Cleveland, Ohio. Ray Culley served as president of the company until his retirement in 1970. During his tenure, Cinecraft specialized in commercial productions for business, industry, trade organizations, and, in some cases, government agencies and social service organizations. Cinecraft was one among hundreds of production houses in the U.S. during the middle decades of the twentieth century that specialized in a motion pictures commonly referred to as non-theatrical, industrial, commercial, business and/or sponsored films. The collection consists of films produced or acquired by Cinecraft, Inc., scripts prepared for film productions, and administrative documents related to the daily functions of the company. The collection is divided into three series: Films; Scripts and project documentation; and Administrative records. The materials date from 1915 to the 1980s.
Cinecraft, Inc. is a corporate film and video production house. The company was founded in 1939 by Ray Culley (1904-1983) and Betty Culley (1914-2016) in Cleveland, Ohio. Ray Culley served as president of the company until his retirement in 1970. During his tenure, Cinecraft specialized in commercial productions for business, industry, trade organizations, and, in some cases, government agencies and social service organizations. Cinecraft was one among hundreds of production houses in the U.S. during the middle decades of the twentieth century that specialized in a motion pictures commonly referred to as non-theatrical, industrial, commercial, business and/or sponsored films. This collection includes five interviews with former employees as well as relatives of Cinecraft employees.
Cinecraft Productions was founded in 1939 by Ray Culley (1904-1983) and Betty Culley (1914-2016) in Cleveland, Ohio. Ray Culley served as president of the company until his retirement in 1970. During his tenure, Cinecraft specialized in commercial productions for business, industry, trade organizations, and, in some cases, government agencies and social service organizations. Cinecraft was one among hundreds of production houses in the U.S. during the middle decades of the 20th century that specialized in motion pictures commonly referred to as non-theatrical, industrial, business and/or sponsored films. This collection documents the history of the company, the people that worked there, and some of the company's film and educational projects. The collection has been arranged into three series: Company and personnel history; Films; and Educational materials. The materials date from 1937 to 2016 with a bulk of the collection dating from 1937 to 1975.
E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company is a chemical company, commonly referred to as the DuPont Company which was established in 1802. Today, the DuPont Company typically introduces more than 2,000 products and patent applications each year. This large collection of moving images documents the research, development, training, safety measures, products, and promotional aspects of DuPont Company history. The moving images include commercials, short films, feature films, and television programs.
The Hanford Engineer Works in Hanford, Washington, was constructed between 1943 and 1945 to create the plutonium 239 and uranium 235 used in the atomic weapons needed for World War II. Sponsored by the Army Corps of Engineers, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company acted as the prime contractor. This collection contains two captioned albums, one of the Medical Division between 1943 and 1945, and the other of Hanford Yuletide Carnival in 1943. The films are various format copies of "War construction in the desert", created to document the building and running of the Hanford Engineer Works. Also included is a film of African American workers dancing in one of the mess halls and a farewell party of DuPont executives in 1948.
Remington Arms Company is one of the oldest American manufacturer of firearms and ammunition the largest producer of shotguns and rifles in the United States. This film is a documentary short on target shooting, featuring a demonstration by expert marksmen.
Film series contains films by the Chamber generally on specific business topics. Titles include but are not limited to: The Atom Comes to Town; The Story of Creative Capital; Once Upon a Time; The Magic Key; and People, Products and Progress. There are many reels, trims and cuts from the film production company, Francis Thompson Inc. using the titles Grassroots and Chamber II. There are some films of events the 1976 Apollo flight footage and the 1977 Annual Meeting. This series is arranged alphabetically, and films date from 1948, 1958, and from 1962 to 1977. A few films have discussion guides or other associated documents which are housed separately from the films for preservation, but are listed underneath the appropriate film.
Films series contains twenty-one films related to the military or space exploration. The films related to the military involve projects with the Army, Navy or the Air Force. The NASA films relate to Apollo 11, the Challenger, and the Solar Max repair. The films date from 1958 to 1984.
Frank Siedel (1914-1988) was a writer, educator, and broadcaster. He founded the firm Storycraft, Inc., an industrial writing company, in 1947 and wrote scripts at Storycraft until his death in 1988. This small collection documents a sample Siedel's work. The two largest groups of materials relate to The Ohio Story television series and the "In the Ohio Heritage" educational series. The materials date from 1947 to 1967, with a few items dated 1988.
L. Robert Oaks (1906-1981) worked for the National Association of Manufacturers for eighteen years, directing its audiovisual programs. This collection contains some of his papers from his tenure and includes NAM News, films, speeches, motion picture bulletins, pamphlets, scripts, and more general information about NAM.
E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company was established in 1802 by Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) and his son Eleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834). Throughout the 1900s and 1910s, the company shifted its focus away from gunpowder production and towards chemistry innovations. This item is the Spanish language version of "Wonder World of Chemistry" which shows chemical products produced by the DuPont Company.
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) became a giant in the field of electronic data processing by the mid-1950s after having achieved great success in the punch-card tabulating machine business in the 1930s. This is a sales film for IBM about the history of information technology.
E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company is a chemical company more commonly referred to as the DuPont company. The company was established in 1802 by Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739-1817) and his son Éleuthère Irénée du Pont (1771-1834) the company began with the production of gunpowder. This item is the film Making Blasting Caps which documents the process of making blasting caps.
The Midvale Steel Company manufactured steel parts and was known for casting, forging, and machining high-quality steels, including alloy steels, and precision steel products for a wide array of industries. Their primary business came from work related to railroad and ordnance manufacturing. This small collection consists of five reels of film that document operations at the Midvale Steel Plant in the Nicetown section of Philadelphia. While the reels are not dated, they are believed to be from 1919. The films document the various stages of production at the plant with a focus on the precision steel making processes for which Midvale was known.
For over fifty years the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) was one of the country's leading manufacturers and vendors of radios, phonographs, televisions, and a wide array of consumer and military electronics products. The Radio Corporation of America was incorporated in Delaware on October 17, 1919, and changed its name to RCA Corporation on May 9, 1969. This collection is primarily made up of moving images and sound recordings collected by the David Sarnoff Research Library relating to the RCA corporation dating from 1953 to 2009. There is a set of photographs related to the Nippon Television Network and two photograph albums, one of 30 Rockefeller Center and the other containing waveform and photo-radio equipment. This collection is organized into eight series: Broadcast programming, Communications, Events, History, Meetings, Popular recordings, Reference materials, and Nippon Television Network.
Robert “Bob” A. Schneider (1943-) worked as a sound engineer, then a writer, producer, and director at Cinecraft Productions, a film and video production company, from 1965 until 1977. This small collection of digital copies consists of twenty films either written by Storycraft or produced by Cinecraft or both. There are also fourteen sets of digital copies of photographs, mostly production stills, but also some images of Cinecraft personnel, workspaces, and equipment. The materials in the collection date from 1947 to 1976.
‘Sponsored film’ defines variety of motion picture productions funded by businesses, organizations, or governments that dictated the point of view, audience, and intent of the film. Industrial or business films are a subgenre of sponsored films with content that marketed products and ideas, touted a particular company or industry, trained employees, and explained manufacturing or transactional processes around the creation and sales of products and ideas. The Sponsored and industrial Motion Picture Film Collection at Hagley is an artificial collection compiled by curators that includes single motion picture films or small sets of films acquired via purchase or donation.
The Johns Manville Corporation is an American insulation manufacturer. This film is a rare post-war era industrial film from Johns-Manville, Luther Reed productions about the importance of insulating your home.
The Masonite Corporation was a construction and interior design company established in 1925 by William H. Mason (1877-1940) as the Mason Fibre Co. This item is a sponsored public relations film by the Masonite Corporation about their advanced production of wood products that are "wood better than wood." The technology of wood and creative industrial process of creating 'hardwood,' siding, panelling, and a great range of products.
Based in Wilmington, Delaware, the Wilmington Public Library has been serving the public since it was established in 1754. This collection consists of eighty eight films, dating from 1914 to 1984, donated by the Wilmington Public Library. These films were de-accessioned from the library’s non-circulating collection. This collection is organized into nine series based on the film’s subject or type of production: American History, Archaeological, Business, Commercial films/television, Educational, Environmental, Experimental, Political Science and Urban/Rural Studies.