Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract: Conectiv, Inc. was formed in 1998 by the merger of Atlantic Electric Incorporated and Delmarva Power and Light Company, two large regional power utilities that supplied Southern New Jersey and the Delmarva Peninsula. Almost all the images in this collection came originally from the corporate archive of the Delmarva Power and Light Company (DP&L).The majority of the images in this collection come from the Delmarva Power and Light Company (DP&L), a predecessor of Conectiv, Inc. The images can generally be divided into three categories: DP&L equipment and facilities, DP&L employees, and views of buildings, both commercial and residential, throughout northern Delaware.
Dates: circa 1940-1982
Abstract: Delaware Power & Light Company had its beginnings in the 1880s as a number of small power companies sprang up to provide electric service to the Delmarva Peninsula. These 1926 images document the construction of gas towers and substations at the Christiana and Brandywine power plants in the Wilmington, Delaware.
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives > Edison Electric Institute Transmission and Distributing Committee minutes
Abstract: The Edison Electric Institute is the trade association of the electric utility industry. The minutes of the Institute's Transmission and Distributing Committee (1935, 1941-1970) include both business transactions of the committee and professional papers of representatives of member utility companies on a variety of subjects related to the transmission and distribution of electricty.
Abstract: Levi C. Stang (1890-1962) was an electrical engineer and general manager of several electric companies throughout the Midwest. His scrapbook chronicles his career and employment as an electrical engineer through selected letters and correspondence, newspaper and other clippings, blueprints, and photographs.
Abstract: Pennsylvania Power & Light Company formed in 1920 through the consolidation of eight electric utilities companies serving central and eastern Pennsylvania. The collection primarily includes corporate papers documenting the company’s acquisition of various competing electric companies in the early-to-mid twentieth century by way of franchise building, market research and corporate communications, hydroelectric development through studies and surveys on Pennsylvania’s waterways, and material documenting the company’s various power plants in central eastern Pennsylvania. Financial and accounting records of the Pennsylvania Water & Power Company, which PP&L acquired in 1955, are also included.
Dates: 1796-1995; Majority of material found within 1920-1975
Abstract: The Pennsylvania Water & Power Company formed in 1910 to finish construction of the Holtwood hydroelectric facility along the lower Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. The company achieved numerous advancements in hydroelectric and steam power development in the early twentieth century, and helped bring about the electrification of Baltimore and, later, much of the Chesapeake and eastern Pennsylvania area. The records largely consist of correspondence to and from Pennsylvania Water & Power's chief engineer and later president, John Abbet Walls, and other company heads relating to operations, customers, dam construction, and numerous subjects associated with the hydroelectric industry.
Abstract: The Philadelphia Electric Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania on October 31, 1929, as a merger of The Philadelphia Electric Company (incorporated in Pa. on October 27, 1902), the Philadelphia Suburban-Counties Gas & Electric Company, and three other small utility companies. It is the primary gas and electric company for Philadelphia, its surrounding counties and Cecil and Harford Counties in northeastern Maryland. Their records consist of microfilm copies of the minute books of about 150 of the predecessor companies of the Philadelphia Electric Company.
Dates: 1836-1953; Majority of material found within 1890-1915
Abstract: The Stanton steam-generated power plant began operation at Harding, Pennsylvania in 1927. It was run by the Scranton Electric Company, which was later acquired by the Pennsylvania Power & Light Company. Most of the photographs in this collection are snapshots showing the plant and employees between 1934 and 1936. There are many that show a flood which took place on March 17, 1936. The three newspaper clippings report on the demolition of the plant between 1973 and 1976.
Dates: 1934-1976; Majority of material found within 1934-1936
Abstract: Thomas Parke Hughes (1923-2014), was one of the leading historians of technology of his era. This collection consists of files relating to the research and production of Professor Hughes' two prize-winning books, Networks of Power, and Elmer Sperry: Inventor and Engineer. Also included are Elmer Sperry's original desk diaries.