Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract: Conectiv, Inc. was formed in 1998 by the merger of Atlantic Electric Incorporated and Delmarva Power and Light Company, two large regional power utilities that supplied Southern New Jersey and the Delmarva Peninsula. Almost all the images in this collection came originally from the corporate archive of the Delmarva Power and Light Company (DP&L).The majority of the images in this collection come from the Delmarva Power and Light Company (DP&L), a predecessor of Conectiv, Inc. The images can generally be divided into three categories: DP&L equipment and facilities, DP&L employees, and views of buildings, both commercial and residential, throughout northern Delaware.
Dates: circa 1940-1982
Abstract: Delaware Power & Light Company had its beginnings in the 1880s as a number of small power companies sprang up to provide electric service to the Delmarva Peninsula. These 1926 images document the construction of gas towers and substations at the Christiana and Brandywine power plants in the Wilmington, Delaware.
Abstract: Levi C. Stang (1890-1962) was an electrical engineer and general manager of several electric companies throughout the Midwest. His scrapbook chronicles his career and employment as an electrical engineer through selected letters and correspondence, newspaper and other clippings, blueprints, and photographs.
Found in: Manuscripts and Archives > Pennsylvania Power & Light Company predecessor and subsidiary companies records
Abstract: Pennsylvania Power & Light traces its origins to the various water and gas light companies that began operating in the eastern part of the state during the mid-nineteenth century. The records of the Pennsylvania Power & Light Company predecessor and subsidiary companies document the history of the gas and electric utility industry in eastern Pennsylvania in the years between 1853 and 1957. The collection includes both the administrative and operating records of more than 1100 companies that merged to form the PP&L system.
Abstract: The Stanton steam-generated power plant began operation at Harding, Pennsylvania in 1927. It was run by the Scranton Electric Company, which was later acquired by the Pennsylvania Power & Light Company. Most of the photographs in this collection are snapshots showing the plant and employees between 1934 and 1936. There are many that show a flood which took place on March 17, 1936. The three newspaper clippings report on the demolition of the plant between 1973 and 1976.
Dates: 1934-1976; Majority of material found within 1934-1936
Abstract: Thomas Parke Hughes (1923-2014), was one of the leading historians of technology of his era. This collection consists of files relating to the research and production of Professor Hughes' two prize-winning books, Networks of Power, and Elmer Sperry: Inventor and Engineer. Also included are Elmer Sperry's original desk diaries.