Skip to main content

Beaver Meadow Railroad and Coal Company stock transfer books

1833-1863
 Collection
Identifier: 0669

Abstract

Incorporated in 1830, Beaver Meadow Railroad & Coal Company transported anthracite coal mined in Beaver Meadow to Philadelphia markets. The company merged into the Lehigh Valley Railroad in 1864. Their records consist of stock transfer books in two volumes, dated 1833 to 1846 and 1861 to 1863, which list transactions of the company shares and changes in ownership.

Dates

  • 1833-1863

Creator

Extent

2 volume(s)

Historical Note

The Beaver Meadow Railroad & Coal Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania on April 7, 1830. The company purchased a tract of anthracite coal land in Northampton (now Carbon) County. Between 1834 and 1836, the company constructed a twenty-six mile railroad from these mines to the Lehigh Canal at Parryville. In the late 1830s, the railroad was to be a link in a through route from New York and Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and Erie which was promoted by Nicholas and Edward R. Biddle. The flood of 1841 destroyed much of the line, and the six miles below East Mauch Chunk were not replaced. Completion of the Lehigh Valley Railroad to East Mauch Chunk in 1855 gave the company a direct rail outlet to tidewater. It was merged into the Lehigh Valley Railroad on July 8, 1864.

Scope and Content

The records consist of stock transfer books in two volumes, dated 1833 to 1846 and 1861 to 1863, which list transactions of the company shares and changes in ownership. By the 1860s, smaller transactions reflect the dispersion of ownership through inheritance and small scale investment.

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

Related Material

Other company records at the Pennsylvania State Archives

Language of Materials

English


Additional Information

Related Names

Creator

Finding Aid & Administrative Information

Title:
Beaver Meadow Railroad and Coal Company stock transfer books
Status:
Online
Description rules:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description:
English
Script of description:
Latin
Language of description note:
English

Repository Details

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository

Contact:
PO Box 3630
Wilmington Delaware 19807 USA
302-658-2400