Longwood Gardens bungalows architectural drawingsCreation: 1925
Longwood Gardens is a series of formal display gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania that was developed by Pierre S. du Pont (1870-1954) after he purchased the site from the Peirce family in 1906. The collection includes two 1925 blueprints for two of the three bungalows that were built at Longwood.
- Creation: 1925
2 item(s) (One oversize folder.)
Longwood Gardens is a series of formal display gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania that was developed by Pierre S. du Pont (1870-1954) after he purchased the site from the Peirce family in 1906. The Peirce family had received this 1,000-acre site as part of a land grant by William Penn (1644-1718). Interested in horticulture, they ornamented the land with trees and plants that were not native to this area. During the 19th century it was opened to the public.
Pierre S. du Pont built a series of formal gardens with fountains on the site which were reminiscent of the Gardens at Versailles. In 1921 he constructed an extensive network of conservatories which contained rare plant species from Africa and South America. Around 1925, P. S. du Pont commissioned three bungalows, or cottages, built for his Longwood staff. Local architect Edward William Martin (1891-1977), who was primarily based in Philadelphia and, later, Wilmington, Delaware, designed the bungalows. Martin also designed numerous schools and residences throughout the Wilmington area, including work done for local luminaries William Raskob (1908-1928) and Crawford H. Greenewalt (1902-1993).
In 1972, the three cottages at Longwood were listed as part of the Longwood National Register Historic District. However, by 2013, they had fallen into disrepair and were subsequently demolished due in part to the pending reconstruction and renovation of the historic Webb Barn.
Scope and Contents
The collection is comprised of two 1925 blueprints depicting the floor plans and exterior front, side, and rear elevations of two of the three bungalows designed by architect E. William Martin (1891-1977) for P.S. du Pont (1870-1954) at Longwood Gardens.
No restrictions on access; this collection is open for research.
Language of Materials
- Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square, Pa.) (Organization)
Finding Aid & Administrative Information
- Longwood Gardens bungalows architectural drawings
- Description rules:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description:
- Script of description:
- 2021: Ashley Williams