Skip to main content

Lake Mohonk Mountain House data file

1915-1930
 Collection
Accession: 2280

Abstract

The Lake Mohonk Mountain House was a noted summer resort hotel located on Lake Mohonk in the Shawangunk Mountains of Ulster County, northwest of New York City. The collection consists of tear sheets from the trade press, advertisements, trade literature, trade catalogs and other publications collected by Daniel Smiley (1796-1878), former manager of the Lake Mohonk Mountain House, in the course of planning and executing new projects, maintaining the building and grounds, and purchasing new furnishings and equipments. This material is accompanied by fairly routine letters of request and replies from sales representatives. There are also some copies of hotel menus and programmes for social events.

Dates

  • 1915-1930

Creator

Extent

6.25 Linear Feet

Historical Note

The Lake Mohonk Mountain House was a noted summer resort hotel located on Lake Mohonk in the Shawangunk Mountains of Ulster County, northwest of New York City. Albert K. Smiley (1828-1912) and his twin brother Alfred H. Smiley (1828-1903) founded the Mohonk Mountain House which opened in 1870. The Victorian style hotel resort was built in 1869. The hotel underwent a nearly continuous program of enlargement and modernization. The grounds eventually included a bungalow colony and a private water supply system.

The Smiley twins half-brother Daniel Smiley (1855-1930) served as manager of the Lake Mohonk Mountain House from 1880 until his death in 1930. On December 9, 1986, this hotel resort was designated as a National Historic Landmark.

Arrangement

Arranged by subject

Scope and Content

The data file was kept by Daniel Smiley from about 1915 to 1930. It consists of tear sheets from the trade press, advertisements, trade literature, trade catalogs and other publications collected by Smiley in the course of planning and executing new projects, maintaining the building and grounds, and purchasing new furnishings and equipments. This material is accompanied by fairly routine letters of request and replies from sales representatives​. There are also some copies of hotel menus and programmes for social events.

The files can be used to trace the evolution of the hotel and its grounds, as many catalogs were solicited for specific projects, such as the concrete garage (1918), the bungalow colony, the reservoir (1926), and improved plumbing and heating systems.

However, the catalogs themselves, many in color, are a gold mine of information on domestic, and to a lesser extent commercial, architecture, its products, appliances, tools and accessories during the 1910s and 1920s. The span of the files coincides with the great boom in home-building during the 1920s, and there are countless examples of standardized or prefabricated house plans of all sizes and information on a wide range of interior and exterior finishes. The catalogs and advertisements are replete with images of idealized domestic life and illustrate changing tastes in both homes and furnishings and in the advertising and graphic styles of the period.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Language of Materials

English


Additional Information

Additional Description

Separated Materials

Many publications in the collection were transferred to the Published Collections Department and may be found in Hagley's library catalog.

Related Names

Creator

Finding Aid & Administrative Information

Title:
Lake Mohonk Mountain House data file
Status:
Description rules:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description:
English
Script of description:
Latin

Repository Details

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository

Contact:
PO Box 3630
Wilmington Delaware 19807 USA
302-658-2400