Cambria Steel Company
Part of collection: Bethlehem Steel Corporation records (1699)
- From the Record Group: Creation: 1860-1947
Scope and Content
The surviving records of the Cambria Steel Company consist largely of correspondence files of the Engineering Department, ca. 1909-1923. These files (principally kept by E. T. Gray, Chief Engineer) are concerned with construction work at the various facilities in the Johnstown area. Among the projects best represented are flood control measures along the Conemaugh River, dams and pipelines for the subsidiary water companies, and war-related expansion of the various steel plants. There is also a substantial amount of material on the construction of workers' and managers' housing, particularly in the Westmont, Shady Lane, and Overbrook developments. The construction of houses and the laying-out of streets, sewers and plantings is well documented. Of special note are investigations of all-concrete houses designed by the Van Guilder Double Wall Company, Inc. The Engineering Department files also contain a small amount of information on the company's welfare work and its Cambria Library Night School and on safety meetings. There is also an incomplete series of Cost of Improvement ledgers with accounting for the many additions to the plants between 1894 and 1911.
There is also a small sample of corporate records including scattered annual reports, stockholder mailings, income statements, and a copy of the Cambria Iron Company lease. All other corporate records, including minute books, have been destroyed.
From the Record Group: 114 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
This collection is open for research.
- Cambria Steel Co. (Organization)
- From the Collection: Bethlehem Steel Corporation (Organization)