Skip to main content

Hill-Chase & Company photographs

circa 1945-1951 bulk 1945-1951
 Collection
Accession: 2006-238

Abstract

Hill-Chase & Co., also know as the Hill-Chase Steel Company, was formed in February 1929 by Charles H. Chase (1884-1967), John J. Hill, Jr. (1891-1978), and several other employees of Edgar T. Ward Steel Service Center in Philadelphia. The company was well known for its innovations in steel. This is a small collection of copy photographs of the facilities and employees.

Dates

  • circa 1945-1951
  • bulk 1945-1951

Creator

Extent

8 item(s)

General Physical Description

8 photographic prints (copy photographs) : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Historical Note

Hill-Chase & Co., also know as the Hill-Chase Steel Company, was formed in February 1929 by Charles H. Chase (1884-1967), John J. Hill, Jr. (1891-1978), and several other employees of Edgar T. Ward Steel Service Center in Philadelphia. The company was well known for its innovations in steel. It was the place inventors went to resolve issues relating to design and other specialty needs. The inventor of the Slinky worked with Hill-Chase engineers to address such needs, then purchased steel from Hill-Chase to produce the Slinky. Other clients included the Underwood, Remington, and Smith-Corona typewriter companies. Hill-Chase sold steel to The Budd Company for the railroad cars of the Spirit of St. Louis and the Spirit of Los Angeles high-speed trains.

The company's warehouse and offices were located at Trenton Avenue and Ontario Street in Philadelphia. During the 1940s and 50s, the company expanded to include district offices in Allentown and York, Pennsylvania, as well as a warehouse and office at 6501 Erdman Avenue in Baltimore, Maryland. Hill-Chase & Company was privately held from 1929 until 1966, when it was sold to the Earle M. Jorgensen Company. [Note by Karen S. Chase, 2009.]

Scope and Content

This is a small collection of copy photographs of the facilities and employees. The photographs include a portrait of Charles H. Chase (1884-1967), an artist's rendering of the warehouse, the front of the warehouse, Charles H. Chase and John J. Hill, Jr. standing at the front door of the office, a group of company executives standing by a train car chartered to bring them to the opening of the company's Baltimore facility, and the company's eight-in-hand team of horses and wagon (used to advertise the company at public events.)

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Language of Materials

English


Additional Information

Related Names

Creator

Finding Aid & Administrative Information

Title:
Hill-Chase & Company photographs
Status:
Date:
2015
Description rules:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description:
English
Script of description:
Latin

Repository Details

Repository Details

Part of the Audiovisual Collections Repository

Contact:
PO Box 3630
Wilmington Delaware 19807 USA
302-658-2400