Houses in Elsmere, Delaware photographsCreation: circa 1900-1920
Elsmere is a town in New Castle County in Delaware. This collection consists of six photographs of miscellaneous houses in Elsmere, which were loaned to the Hagley Museum and Library for copy.
- Creation: circa 1900-1920
- Unknown (Organization)
General Physical Description
6 photographic prints : b&w ; 8 x 10 in. 6 negatives : b&w ; 4 x 5 in. 6 contact prints : b&w ; 4 x 5 in.
Elsmere is a town in New Castle County in Delaware. In the late 1880s, Elsmere consisted mainly of rural farmland and residential houses. The DuPont Road was built and used by the DuPont Company to transport black powder from the powder mills to the Christiana River for export. The town began to develop with increased job opportunities such as a brick yard and the Wilmington Wheel Company. Additionally an electric trolley car service opened in 1897 contributing to Elsmere's further development. The town was officially incorporated in 1909 and grew significantly throughout the 1910s and 1920s.
Scope and Content
Six photographs of miscellaneous houses in Elsmere, Delaware were loaned to the Hagley Museum and Library for copy. Among the identified houses are "Woodside Farm" on Cleveland Avenue, 108 Northern Avenue, and 201 & 203 Cleveland Avenue. None of the other houses are identified. None of the pictures are dated, but there are captions for three of the images (nos. 1, 2, and 3.)
GL Box 2.
Language of Materials
These photographs are copies of originals that were loaned to Hagley and then returned to the owner. One set of 8x10 prints is in 1993 GL Box 2, one set in the Hagley File (H56 - Historic Houses, Delaware), and the copy negatives and contact prints are in the PC Central File.
Finding Aid & Administrative Information
- Houses in Elsmere, Delaware photographs
- Description rules:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description:
- Script of description: