Skip to main content

Simon E. Gluck collection of photographs of EDVAC and MSAC computers

1948-1951
 Collection
Accession: 1990-232

Abstract

Computer pioneers John W. Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert and their associates at the Moore School of Electrical Engineering built six of the world's first electronic digital computers between 1943 and 1951. This collection consists of undated black and white photographs and slides; twelve of the eighteen slides are duplicates of the photographs. Two of the images are engineering drawings (EDVAC's block diagram and control panel) and the rest are images of the EDVAC and MSAC computers.

Dates

  • 1948-1951

Creator

Extent

36 item(s)

Biographical Note

Simon E. Gluck, who collected these photographs, was an engineer educated at the Moore School of Electrical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania. He worked on most of the early computer projects there during the late 1940s and early 1950s. He was later associated with the Burroughs Corporation where he worked as an engineer in the Paoli, Pennsylvania, plant.

Computer pioneers John W. Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert and their associates at the Moore School of Electrical Engineering built six of the world's first electronic digital computers between 1943 and 1951. This work began under an Army Ordnance Dept. contract which funded the ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer) in 1943. After World War Two the staff of the Moore School built the EDVAC and BINAC, computers with stored-memory capability. The MSAC (Moore School automatic computer) was built for the Army Signal Corps in 1951.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of undated black and white photographs and slides; twelve of the eighteen slides are duplicates of the photographs. Two of the images are engineering drawings (EDVAC's block diagram and control panel) and the rest are images of the EDVAC and MSAC computers. The EDVAC was the first effort to develop a computer with stored memory capability. The EDVAC images are of the pilot model (which was demonstrated at the Franklin Institute in 1947), exposed panels, magnetic wire input/output, timing unit, and mercury acoustical memory. The MSAC images include views of the flip-flop module, basic chassis, and pulse transformer design. In addition, there are images of individuals (some identified) who worked with Simon Gluck at the University of Pennsylvania.

Location

GL Box 1.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Related Archival Materials

Simon E. Gluck papers (Accession 1987), Manuscripts and Archives Dept., Hagley Museum and Library.

Language of Materials

English


Additional Information

Additional Description

Additonal Extent Statement

18 photographic prints : b&w ; 5x7 in. 18 slides in paper mounts : b&w.

Related Names

Creator

Finding Aid & Administrative Information

Title:
Simon E. Gluck collection of photographs of EDVAC and MSAC computers
Status:
Date:
2014
Description rules:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description:
English
Script of description:
Latin

Repository Details

Repository Details

Part of the Audiovisual Collections Repository

Contact:
PO Box 3630
Wilmington Delaware 19807 USA
302-658-2400