Amalgamated Leather Companies, Inc. manufactured black and colored glazed kid and other classes of leather used largely in making shoes in the early to mid-twentieth century. This collection consists of four photographs of employees at various events, and one factory exterior. There is also a color label.
In 1890 the F. Blumenthal firm was established in Wilmington and incorporated in 1909. Earlier the company did business as the F.J. Blatz & Brother Co. at Elizabeth, New Jersey, where they made kid leather. In 1919 the firm was reincorporated at Wilmington as the Amalgamated Leather Companies, Inc., having taken over the business of F. Blumenthal & Co. in the manufacture of black and colored glazed kid and other classes of leather used largely in making shoes. Manufacturing ceased in 1966, and Amalgamated Leather Companies, Inc., was dissolved in 1967.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of four photographs of employees at various events, and one factory exterior. There are two group snapshots of employees and, possibly, identified retirees at a Christmas party. There is an unidentified photo of a worker receiving a prize at probably a World War II bond rally. There is a large group photograph of members of the International Fur & Leather Workers Union at their 17th biennial convention on the Atlantic City Boardwalk, 1948. A few of the individuals are identified. The last photograph shows an undated view of the abandoned F. J. Blatz & Brother Co. building in Elizabeth, New Jersey. There is a color label which prominently features an artist's image of the F. Blumenthal & Co. factory buildings in Wilmington, Delaware, drawn from west. The factory bordered Lancaster Avenue to the north; Adams St. to the west; Chestnut St. to the south; Monroe St. to the east.